Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT 392 MT
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For so long I've been driving through The Dragon to get to Kansas City and had no idea it was such a popular car enthusiast destination to drive through??? Have any of you guys had the opportunity to drive through THE DRAGON?

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
Ok, so I never heard of it.

Where is it?+

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT 392 MT
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap with 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road, it's a mountain pass along the North Carolina–Tennessee state line, bordering the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and near the Little Tennessee River

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I've been there quite a few times when I owned my Chrysler Crossfire. The Dragon and "Hellbender" were a blast with that car.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Top to bottom last year in my 2011 Ram and hopefully next summer in my SRT.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
For so long I've been driving through The Dragon to get to Kansas City and had no idea it was such a popular car enthusiast destination to drive through??? Have any of you guys had the opportunity to drive through THE DRAGON?
More of a sport bike road than car..........there's vids on YOUTUBE showing Harleys flying off the road trying to negotiate the turns....and semi's getting stuck trying to take on a VERY tight curve!

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
. . . Have any of you guys had the opportunity to drive through THE DRAGON?
Yes, I was there last August when I went down to view the solar eclipse. I was on my Road King (motorcycle) though. It was a blast and something I always wanted to see. I will ride/drive it again if I'm in the area again. And now I will have to see the Devil's Whip too as mentioned in a post above. :D

There were two crashes while I was there on the Dragon's Tail. On the way up, there was an emergency crew with climbing gear readying to retrieve a sportbike rider who when off the road and down a cliff while riding down towards Deals Gap. On my way down back towards Deals Gap, I saw a guy on a H-D cruiser ride off into a ditch on his way up and somehow kept it upright (his friends stopped to help).

·
Registered
580 Posts
Along the Tail of the Dragon they have photographers who take pictures of the cars and motorcycles who pass by, then post those pictures on a website where you can buy a copy. I took my Hellcat two years ago. Here are some pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Here's a shot on my car on The Dragon last year

Attachments

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Another option, and less "touristy".... Back of the Dragon - Home

There is a much larger grouping of roads referred to as the Claw of the Dragon... I like the "Back of the Dragon" as it is not far from me and was a blast to drive....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I’m new here and I’ve been lurking and reading and learning while I find the right challenger for me. BUT since 129 was brought up I’ll chime in. Used to ride the road about every Sunday morning for years as it was just a quick 45 mins from my house. So much so that my Father in Law decided to retire from his 9-5 and start taking pics up there as mentioned before. Not sure if posting his site is allowed. But here’s a few pics from my two wheel days.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts