Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Challenger SXT Plus
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s not 100% flawless but I think it turned out pretty good considering I’ve never wrapped or used knifeless tape before. $50 overall for the tape and two rolls of vivvid matte black wrap. A lot cheaper than a pre-cut stripe and a fun project. What do y’all think?

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,326 Posts
Well done.

Reactions: CruzinKC

·
Registered
2018 Challenger SXT Plus
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I definitely learned a lot in the process, and could avoid the little mistakes if I did it again.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
Looks great (y) The knifeless tape is fun stuff

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,991 Posts
Looks great from where I'm standing. Did you happen to take pictures when you laid it out before cutting? Did you use it for all 4? cutlines?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Looks fkn damn good!
Nice job....

Why not go all the way down past the side marker?

Everyone taste of course is different...I'd have brought it all the way down to disappear seemingly below the car.

Looks great though ether way!

·
Registered
2018 Challenger SXT Plus
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks great from where I'm standing. Did you happen to take pictures when you laid it out before cutting? Did you use it for all 4? cutlines?
I keep thinking I should take pictures during the process but never actually did 🤦‍♂️
I did the side pieces first and they took 4 lines of tape to cut. I started with the one at the bumper and measured 6.5” to the next line and 3/4” gap to the 1.5” smaller stripe. Figuring out the trunk was the tricky part. I didn’t realize it should be curved until I had the sides done. So I ended up making a template by scribing the curve of the spoiler onto poster board. I used to the template to precut the vinyl that tucked under the spoiler then used it to lay the Knifeless tape to the same curve.
Full disclosure, I messed up the first piece of trunk vinyl but after watching a few youtube videos of people applying precuts it was a breeze.
WorkPlayDrive in youtube has a video of himself using the same technique to replace a side piece.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger SXT Plus
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks fkn damn good!
Nice job....

Why not go all the way down past the side marker?

Everyone taste of course is different...I'd have brought it all the way down to disappear seemingly below the car.

Looks great though ether way!
Thank you! I thought about it and looked at a lot of pictures and ultimately decided I liked it better without the extensions.
IMHO pulling it all the way down disrupts the body lines in a negative way. Keeping the “gap” of the bumper allows the eye to continue in an upward flow as you reach the end of the car... does that make sense? If I did go all the way down I think I would have gone with a straight band all the way across like the kind they did back in the day. But to each their own! I love that we all make our Challengers our own!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thank you! I thought about it and looked at a lot of pictures and ultimately decided I liked it better without the extensions.
IMHO pulling it all the way down disrupts the body lines in a negative way. Keeping the “gap” of the bumper allows the eye to continue in an upward flow as you reach the end of the car... does that make sense? If I did go all the way down I think I would have gone with a straight band all the way across like the kind they did back in the day. But to each their own! I love that we all make our Challengers our own!

Cant disagree with that last bit!! I agree for sure....

You can always tell the guys who it's more then just a "car"
And to me that's what's important...

Here is a picture of mine that clearly shows the side-trunk curve, looks like you go the curve nailed down very nicely.
View attachment 999538
Fk man.... insanely gorgeous!!

I'd say I'm jealous...but I stare at mine everyday like a guy lookin at the first girl who put out....

·
Registered
2020 sps ordered 5/20/20
99 Posts
Great Job! Nice to know there are options like this, thanks!

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
505 Posts
Nice work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts