Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hope that this is most correct location for this.

I know that this car has been discussed a couple of times already but, I think that the design team that did the muscle car smash-up for the Equus Bass 770, may want to lend a hand to the Dodge team.

This rear end is absolutely stunning and looks strikingly similar to the '71. It helps break up the back end of the car and gives it a more aggressive look. Although I have mixed emotions on the rest of their design, this part though needs to be brought over and the angled corners to the outboard of the car instead at the midline.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I'm with you in that the Challenger's rear is unsatisfying. The valance is too thick and the shapes too angular, with an almost Japanese feel (an old Camry comes to mind). And I love that picture you put on top, although the design would have to be updated (cleaned up).

Then the rear of modern cars is unfortunately so massive and high that thin, slit-like tail lights, as much as I like them, look absolutely lost in there. This is one reason why I don't want tail lights overlays or covers to amplify the problem, the other one being that they all look like tacked-on kits.

But I dislike the Equus. For the money it looks like a car without identity customized with whatever aftermarket parts were available. They should've manufactured parts themselves (if they did, that's the wrong effect) that would blend seamlessly with the body in a unified narrative instead of making the Equus look like a franken-car. Is it a Boss? No a Bass! A pony? No, an Equus! That horsey looks like a cross between Ferrari's prancing horse or Lambo's bull. The car is a tad gaudy and pretentious to me, like aimed at the Middle-Eastern market. It's interesting, but the vibe is not that of a masculine and straight-forward muscle car. Maybe it's just me, though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm with you in that the Challenger's rear is unsatisfying. The valance is too thick and the shapes too angular, with an almost Japanese feel (an old Camry comes to mind). And I love that picture you put on top, although the design would have to be updated (cleaned up).

Then the rear of modern cars is unfortunately so massive and high that thin, slit-like tail lights, as much as I like them, look absolutely lost in there. This is one reason why I don't want tail lights overlays or covers to amplify the problem, the other one being that they all look like tacked-on kits.

But I dislike the Equus. For the money it looks like a car without identity customized with whatever aftermarket parts were available. They should've manufactured parts themselves (if they did, that's the wrong effect) that would blend seamlessly with the body in a unified narrative instead of making the Equus look like a franken-car. Is it a Boss? No a Bass! A pony? No, an Equus! That horsey looks like a cross between Ferrari's prancing horse or Lambo's bull. The car is a tad gaudy and pretentious to me, like aimed at the Middle-Eastern market. It's interesting, but the vibe is not that of a masculine and straight-forward muscle car. Maybe it's just me, though.
Flatten out the back end a bit, drop the angle for the trunk, but that would call for a redesign on the trunk lid, rear quarters and opening, but not by much. Possibly cut back on the black plastic insert and include more body, for a nice smooth roll and draw the eyes to the car, not the snowboard size lens on there now.

And, the first few cars that Equus made, were all handmade from a handcrafted clay mold. Still, as far as I know, hand assembled. Like the U.S. version of Bentley/Maserati halfbreed (not on the same level though). Could have had some more smooth transitions in the body lines. The interior is gorgeous, in my opinion, a ton polished and brushed metal and hand sewn leather.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts