Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Showing green lights in the rear is against Federal and local laws, The only approved colors are Red for running lights and brake lights, and amber for turn signals.......

·
Registered
415 Posts
I wish somebody would make a plug-in module that would let the brake lights flash 3 times fast then go to full on. I had this on my Harley, you could watch people behind you see the flashing light and get off your rear end.

·
Registered
151 Posts
JUST MY ADVICE: DON'T DO IT!! The issue is the tail lights are a relatively gentle red glow, while the brakelights are very intense. It would be very easy for a driver behind you to be mistake your lights or be confused long enough to create a dangerous situation. There is also the issue of legality. Tail light bulbs (Yes, I know incandescent but a good comparison) are a minimum of 5 watts, Brake (and turn) are a minimum of 20 watts. This translates to a very significant difference in brightness. There is a reason that taillights have "DOT approved" cast into them.

The other issue is technical, as I understand it (and I could be wrong), the taillights are working on a Control Area Network (CAN) there are no clear wires dedicated just to operating the taillights the could be rerouted at the unit with a couple of relays. There is a small computer in the rear of the vehicle that is receiving signals from the vehicles main computer then operating the light units from there. this unit also sends error or maintenance required messages forward if it detects a problem, like the wrong amount of current being drawn by the units. Getting the lights to switch like you showed may cause unforeseen problems with the CAN. I heard one problem with a person who replaced his backup lights with LED's on his Mercedes. The CAN 'saw' the wrong current being drawn, sent the error message forward, the main computer saw this as a problem with the transmission and put the car into limp mode. It took the mechanic (relating this to his class) 3 days to figure out what the owner had done to cause the issue

OTOH, if you are willing to accept all the responsibility for any accident caused by the modification, go for it, it might be cool.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts