Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
SRT-8
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
Hope everyone is enjoying the warmer weather. I have an issue with my taillight surround (pictures below). It has these white streaks on the top and bottom pieces - not sure what caused them (there when I bought the car). Doubt they can be removed.

Any suggestions on solutions? I've seen a carbon fiber replacement kit, but it is very expensive. Most of the plastic trim on the car seems very flimsy, so I don't want to replace with OEM.

Looking for a reasonable, nice-looking idea. What do you think?

Thanks for your help.
John

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Did car wax get on it at some point?

Reactions: Rainmaker1984

·
Registered
624 Posts
sounds like wax got on it...if you haven't already I would try using some of the mothers "back to black" stuff. Its supposed to clean and make the trim look like new...it might help if you could post a picture of it. there a few body guys on here that may be able to offer better tips. As far as a replacement for it...I haven't seen anything worthwhile thats not too expensive.

·
Premium Member
SRT-8
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Added two pictures - thanks to all for your replies.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Buddy of mine is having same problem on his 09 R/T. He was going to check with a local dodge dealer for a price on a new oem piece or just try and paint it. His has permanent water streak marks and no matter what kind of back to black product he uses, it always reappears.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If it turns out not to be wax build up and is actually damaged plastic you could try painting it with automotive grade paint or plasti-dip, or you could it have it covered in vinyl maybe in a carbon fiber pattern.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yea that looks pretty bad...if its hard water stains good old fashioned water/vinegar mixture might get it off. I would follow that up with some type of back to black trim restorer. Looks like you don't have much to lose by trying it...other than I would go with what others have suggested and just paint it. You could do it yourself for pretty cheap if you are skilled at all in that type of stuff. Goodluck

·
Registered
466 Posts
What worked for me was a Mr. Clean magic eraser and then i followed it up with Mother's Back to Black first, but the stains came back after awhile, so I did it again but the second time I bought the treatment WipeNew. The stains have not come back in a year and a half so far.
[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts