Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first Challenger. Bought it used. 2014 R/T. Tried to restore the brightness to my tail lights. Total fail! Bought a restoration solution from O’Reilys, even used one of the polishing balls I could attach to my power drill. Didn’t do a thing! I attached 3 photos here. 1 full shot and two on the tail lights. On the first taillight shot you can see the difference from the underside and from what’s exposed. Last shot you can clearly see a film that’s peeling. And that’s film that makes it look dull. Anyone know an easy way to get that film off? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
that top layer might have been a clear coat UV protection that has failed - headlights often have that kind of UV clear coat to prevent the lens from yellowing and getting cloudy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,021 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
Almost looks like they were clear coated by someone. Might try a headlight restoration kit.
That's a possibility too - someone put a satin / matte clear (to not have glossy tail lamp lenses) and that applied coating is failing.

Kind of like the tint I've seen on some tail lights that gets hazy or dull, since its a sprayed tinted transparent finish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts