Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since I swapped over a 6.4 intake manifold to my 5.7, I had been wondering about a straight/smooth tube solution to the factory airbox. I switch back to the factory hellcat lower with afe filter and I was much happier then my 5.7 oem manifold with my legmaker intake.

Despite what I was trying to do, a couple of incouraging friends I was working in the shop with (we all just meetup after work and work on our own cars ) found his old velocity stack from his Evo IX that was 3" along with his filter and just plopped it on there. Now, even though I wanted to keep the factory box I said screw it let's give it a shot

Test drive after that first pic was meh, a little more noise but I didn't feel much difference. That velocity stack is supposed to boost upper rpm a bit

Fast forward 2 test drives later I was ready to figure out a solution for the factory box
Had ordered a couple of couplers to make it work but the run is so short. you would be nothing short of 3 hacked up pieces of silicone and maybe something functional.

So then this happened... Now the pics at the bottom are pre-clamps so don't thing I just ran it like that.

I was actually able to use 1 silicone elbow and 1 coupler with an aluminum pie cut in the middle to support the silicone on the turn. Initial testing didn't show the silicon collapsing on itself and so we went for a drive

And holy mother
Instantly notice rpms climbing more aggressive after 4k. Still trying to nail it down 100% , maybe some trimming of the length of hose and trying to sneak a longer filter , however that velocity stack hiding inside the filter, along with direct air from the headlight (btw the air cleaner boot fits perfect over the headlight haha) I really feel her working. Now I hardly ever line up at the drags so my idle temps couldn't mean less to me, for cruising and those late night cold air pulls, I think she's working fine and I'm really on to something here ...

Silicon tubing about $30
Filter and velocity stack - free in my case
Clamps about $20

Cheapest intake system by far haha! Let me know what y'all think , still working on improving a few things

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
141 Posts
I would think you’re going to run into road gunk/rain coating that filter pretty quick. Isn’t there a “filter wrap” that could be had?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think you’re going to run into road gunk/rain coating that filter pretty quick. Isn’t there a “filter wrap” that could be had?
Yeah probably true, not too worried about the wet, it's 95 today on this sunny October In LA

The filter is totally temporary and is already dirty/used from my buddy.

As soon as I can slice some silicon and made the elbow shorter, I'll take measurements and try to get a bigger filter, possibly with a wrap around it as well

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,708 Posts
Nah, no different than other factory setups. I'd be more concerned with heat soak from the underhood air getting in.

Reactions: trippytro

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is you intake air temp sensor still in the original connector you now have on the headlight intake? If so, i don't think that is a good place for it.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is you intake air temp sensor still in the original connector you now have on the headlight intake? If so, i don't think that is a good place for it.
I have to take more updated pics tbh

It ended up right infront of the throttle body almost identical location to the factory one. I drilled a small hole smaller then the tab on the sensor and it has held itself in there nice and tight

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,597 Posts
Even with some of the quoted downsides of your design, I still like it.

Where did you find that silicone piece? It's perfect for your design.

You might want to put a clamp on at the throttle body though just in case.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even with some of the quoted downsides of your design, I still like it.

Where did you find that silicone piece? It's perfect for your design.

You might want to put a clamp on at the throttle body though just in case.
None of the t bolts I bought were the right size since I drifted from the setup I imagined so I used worm clamps (for now)

Amazon was my friend, I found an elbow from 4 to 3.5" and was gonna use a 4.25-4.00" straight coupler to neck down the factory box.

Instead, we used my buddy's 4" velocity stack and filter. Ditched the whole box all together. I have a factory 5.7 box that I may be willing to mutilate in the name of creating my own enclosed filter box ala afe power haha

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
Why not go all the way down through the triangle in front of wheel well with the air filter. That keeps it out of engine bay and engine-heated air.

Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Exhaust manifold

Then you can relocate the IAT down there too and really kick heat-soak in the jimmy!

Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not go all the way down through the triangle in front of wheel well with the air filter. That keeps it out of engine bay and engine-heated air.

View attachment 1004674

Then you can relocate the IAT down there too and really kick heat-soak in the jimmy!
I am back and forth in this idea. I see the opening but I really like the headlight intake setup. Also I either have to notch that opening or size down my pipe. Either way I'm sure setup would work waay better let's see what happens haha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts