Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger 1320
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my second time taking my 2019 Challenger R/T Plus to a local autocross event, and it has been so much fun. Sure, this isn't exactly the ideal environment for the car, but that's what makes it so great! This time around they changed the course, which did provide a learning curve the first time out, but it was fun all the same. The course is more of a long and spread out one versus those I've seen on the internet so my times definitely reflect it. But it was fun all the same!
Times:
-Run 1: 93.453
-Run 2: 86.396
-Run 3: 83.497
-Run 4: 81.912
-Run 5: 79.852

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
This was my second time taking my 2019 Challenger R/T Plus to a local autocross event, and it has been so much fun. Sure, this isn't exactly the ideal environment for the car, but that's what makes it so great! This time around they changed the course, which did provide a learning curve the first time out, but it was fun all the same. The course is more of a long and spread out one versus those I've seen on the internet so my times definitely reflect it. But it was fun all the same!
Times:

Long and spread out would be to your advantage vs a short, tight, technical track. At least where the Camaros and Mustangs are concerned. How did you place?

Reactions: A Ferb

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger 1320
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Long and spread out would be to your advantage vs a short, tight, technical track. At least where the Camaros and Mustangs are concerned. How did you place?
So this was more of a test and tune session, but in my class it was only myself and a camaro; I came up short compared to the camaro. Being that I'm a newbie (to say the least) I know I could have done better in many parts. I want to keep going though, just to see if I can get better/ maybe put up a little more of a fight with others in my class (I'm in FS for reference).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thats awesome. I am going to my first event next month. Very excited. My car has front and rear strut tower braces, upgraded stabilizer bars, and mopar performance brakes. Looking forward to getting my new 315's on the rear tires. Hopefully these will make Large Marge handle the track a little better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I love taking my 2015 R/T Plus to the road course. Last year I put on strut tower braces, billet aluminum tension arms, Eibach Pro-Kit springs and Hotchkiss swaybars front and rear. Made a huge difference in getting around the track and the bracing really helped knock down the creaking and groaning.

This years upgrades so far are going to be BR9 brakes, subframe connectors and adjustable upper control arms and rear toe links to get the alignment back in to spec.

Enjoy it, it's a blast!

·
Registered
220 Posts
In the 70’s, I entered my ‘70 Road Runner (383/A3/3.9SG/HEMI suspension/G60 Polyglas on 7x15 Rallye wheels, Vitamin C Orange) in an autocross event. After I pumped the tires up to max pressure, it ran well enough to get compliments from some of the sporty-car drivers. I’m sure the Air Grabber is what made it run so well!

No good pics of my car🤦‍♂️, but the exterior was identical to the Road Runner that actor William Fichtner owns.

·
Registered
315 Posts
That's awesome. I plan on taking minne to my local event soon. I really want a strut tower brace and sway bars. There will also be a roll racing event. I'm not sure how they match the cars or if they do. But I think I'll wait for the supercharger to do that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do yourself a huge favour, if you're planning on lowering your car at all (even if you aren't it's still a good idea) while you have the rear subframe dropped to do the rear sway bar install a set of on-car adjustable upper rear control arms at minimum. Your tires will thank you.

My car is equipped with the Super Track Pack, and I lowered it only slightly more than the STP springs (Eibach Pro-Kit) and my caster and camber clearly were at the edge of being out of spec right from the factory because they went out of spec with a 1" drop or less. Even rear toe is just barely in spec with the adjusters maxed out.

Just some food for thought if you're regularly going to hit the track.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thats awesome. I am going to my first event next month. Very excited. My car has front and rear strut tower braces, upgraded stabilizer bars, and mopar performance brakes. Looking forward to getting my new 315's on the rear tires. Hopefully these will make Large Marge handle the track a little better.
I've found with mine that wider tires in the rear (in my case 305s) hurt me when they grip. They tighten the car up too much, ie induce understeer, making it hard to get the front to turn. I find it is better to run square, or as I did last month, put some nearly worn out r888s on the rear, to allow me to turn the car with throttle.

·
Premium Member
2021 Challenger R/T Scat Pack A8
50 Posts
Times:

Congrats on the AutoCross run. I campaigned a 2009 Mini JCW in D Street Prepared for 3 years. Had a blast, learned a lot, am a better driver for it. My Mini of many mods was a little screamer and despite my limited driving skills I won my class 2 out of the three years.

I been feeling a bit silly because I'm planning to take my new 4000 lb Scat Pack down a similar path. I ordered it two days ago. I will buy a lot of tires and likely be a lonely Challenger out there but in the end I'll know how to drive it well at street speeds. Autocross is to driving what Sailplanes are to flying...all about the fundamentals. Also planning on a few HPDE's. I did nine of them with the Mini.

I plan to space out the mods with observations about their effects on the autocross field as I go, if anyone is interested. Not sure where to post them. I guess there is not an autocross section on this site. Understandable since these beasts are pretty heavy so not many folks try it out.

But, interestingly, I was told today that SCCA has designated a set of new classes for Contemporary American Muscle (CAM) cars. If anyone is interested I'll start a thread.

I've found with mine that wider tires in the rear (in my case 305s) hurt me when they grip. They tighten the car up too much, ie induce understeer, making it hard to get the front to turn. I find it is better to run square, or as I did last month, put some nearly worn out r888s on the rear, to allow me to turn the car with throttle.
Good observation. That's what I was thinking...good to confirm. Planning on running square on the stock 275's till they're scrubbed.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
In reading past posts it looks like a handful of folks did some autocross each year. Awesome. Looking forward to getting started!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I ran all last season on my stock Goodyears that already had +50k KM on them, and I more or less stuck to the factory tire pressures. I experimented up and down a bit, but dropping the pressures just made the car squirrely as hell to the point of being unsafe, imho. Going up a few pounds didn't seem to make much difference. They stuck well enough for being 5 year old street tires, but they didn't stick well enough to generate much heat above what I would see on the street, and I push my car hard. I put some Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's on it for this season, but between parts delays and scheduling issues, I haven't been to the track yet this year.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
If you run really sticky tires....200's tread wear....the roll over at standard pressures in my MINI, years ago, were significant. I did the chalk test and measured it. I can't remember the exact numbers but my daily driving pressures were about 34-36 and I ran 40-44 (hot temps) depending on the conditions. I'd check pressure after each run and let a bit off as they heated up. Tire pressure has a significant effect. The MINI was 2700 lbs (damn) so the tires took some wear and the temps rose some after the first two or three runs. We usually did five runs at each event. The sweet spot for each type of tire varied and I ran three different tires over the 3 1/2 years. I was running -2.5 Degrees camber in the front and -1.9 in the rear which gave the most even temps across the tire (near zero toe in). The temps were actually measured at the track since the temp differentials were much more pronounced there as opposed to the autox field.

The Challenger is very heavy and comparatively boaty so the roll over may be more pronounced...must measure to find out. It all depends on suspension, stiffness, tires, temps, driving techniques, and more. Since you were running the stock all season's the grip was not likely sufficient to manifest the roll over issue.

Great experimental fun at its finest!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts