Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Steering part Vehicle

why might I only be getting 180 to the tank? Seems like no matter how I drive it I can’t get average mpg above 12. Could it be bad fuel injectors or what?

·
Registered
2011 SXT
3,310 Posts
What Year is your Car? Which Model, How hard are you driving it, is it in Sport Mode, etc? Need to provide more to get more accurate answer...

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Something's not right! I have a 2016 Scat Pack Shaker and even driving hard I get at least 15 mpg. I owned two 5.7L Challenger (2010 RT Auto and a 2013 RT Blacktop) and they both got about 17 in the city as long as I wasn't doing burnouts at every light. If you're not getting any CEL and car is running fine, I would say it's your driving style... Also, driving in heavy traffic is going to get sucky mpg.

·
Premium Member
2021 M6 Shaker RT
324 Posts
What are your driving patterns to get that 10.8 mpg? Sounds like my normal. I have a 2.5 mile commute for work, 10 mpg is normal. Nothing gets warmed up, cars run very rich the first mile or so. Even a car that should get 30 mpg city wouldn't see over 15 in my situation.

Any lights lit on the dash? Check Engine? Any codes?

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
619 Posts
On a RT you should be getting way better mpg. Those numbers are more Scat Pack/Hellcat on a daily driver in sports mode.

Are you sitting idle in traffic for long periods of time?

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
If all you do is drive in stop and go traffic, I can see this being normal. If you do any highway driving at all, that number should look better. Even more so if you have an automatic because 4 cylinders shut off when you are at cruising speed.

Reactions: marpow

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
My current reading is 17.2 mpg. That average is over the past several months covering about 4,400 miles. I'd guess 3,400 miles is highway and the rest is in town. My car is a '13 R/T A5.

·
Registered
2011 SXT
3,310 Posts
What Fuel are you using? Also Range is an EST does not mean that is all your gonna get out of a Full Tank?
Plugs, Coils, low Octane Fuel, on Avg between 20 - 23ish is about what you should be getting.
Get the Car Scanned check for Codes, Check your Gas Cap all these things play factors.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T plus T/A 6-speed Gold Rush
685 Posts
Also, one cannot get accurate mpg numbers from evic. I use the Fuelly app on my phone.
I have only filled up my tank twice and both times the dash showed at least 280 range.

·
Registered
2018 Plum M6 Scat Pack with Shaker
196 Posts
I found that screen a few weeks ago, had 15.9 mpg for the previous 1900 miles (mostly from before I bought it).

On a short spirited romp after resetting it, I got 6.3 mpg.

Since then, I am now back to 15.9 mpg. A little spirit now and then, mostly cruising about 50 mph (40 to 60). Have not had it on an interstate at all, I like the back roads.

But for a big V8 (5.7 counts as this) in a 2-ton vehicle in the city, 10 sounds about right. So does my 6.3 mpg romp, I expected to be in the 5s on that one.

I have a 2018 Scat Pack 6.4 M6.

And a final note, accurate mileage numbers come from filling up at the same pump the same way every time and calculating from the odometer. But my lie-o-meter does not seem to be that far off.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wow I am glad I have a 2021 GT I just take the 2 readings and do the math and get 25+ in hills & small town driving and 29+ on the open flat road so far. I floored the crap out of it for a while and knocked it down to 20 MPG. Those MPGs you guys are getting I got out of my Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.7 Hemi 15-18 MPG! So happy with the HP and MPG on the GT now even more with the cost of fuel. In a year or so I can now save up for a Hellcat! I use the same pump and let it click off each time.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,680 Posts
View attachment 1037443
why might I only be getting 180 to the tank? Seems like no matter how I drive it I can’t get average mpg above 12. Could it be bad fuel injectors or what?
The engine controller would attempt to compensate for bad injectors by leaning out the air fuel mixture. Likely it would lean the mixture enough the engine would misfire. I take it the CEL is dark? And the engine otherwise runs ok?

Is the engine air filter reasonably fresh? Do you run the right oil? Do you run the recommended grade of octane? And do you only run E10? None of that E15 or worse E85.

I notice the outside temperature is 41F. Where I live we had a bit of cold weather the other day. Got a low tire pressure warning from my van's TPMS. Checked and the tires were only at 38psi and they should have been at 45psi. So the point is be sure the tires are properly inflated. And remember a 10F drop in temperatures drops the tire air pressure about 1psi.

Probably just the way you drive. I can tell you with my Hellcat and even my Scat Pack just one hard pull getting back on the freeway after filling up can have me high mileage driving like crazy just to get the MPG out of single digits...

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
Even driving the hell out of my Scat I'm getting 12 mpg. Something definitely not right! :oops:

Reactions: JavierA and Willy-N

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Long warm-ups (idling), lots of city traffic driving, and a heavy foot can conspire to give you that kind of mileage. If you take a 200 mile trip on the highway, drive the speed limit, and go easy on the gas (you can do it!), then I'd bet you will see over 20 mpg during the trip. That would prove the car is okay.

Reactions: Willy-N

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would try and disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. Reconnect it and test drive it normally and see if it changes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I drive my Procharged 392 with MDS turned off around town with almost zero highway. See boost often as it's addicting. It's on the richer side of fuel for safety. I'm mid 14 mpg. Plug in a scanner and read your live short and long fuel trims. Do you smell rich? Could be stuck injector or faulty O2. How many miles on the plugs? A scanner should point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
750 Posts
5.7 10 mpg something is wrong, you should be getting more like 15 mpg minimum. I would not trust the computer, fill the car up, track the milage until next fill up at same gas station and pump, then you can use math to calculate actual mpg

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack A8
246 Posts
I have never seen mileage that low in either my 20’ RT M6 or my 21’ Scat Auto. My commute is only 6 miles no highway and I usually average around 19-20mpg in the Scat (about 1mpg lower in my previous RT). Even with spirited driving a haven’t dipped into the 15mpg range. Both cars are capable of mid 20’s mpg or higher on long road trips.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts