Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Yellow Jacket SRT8
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, as the title states I got fresh tar oil on the nose of my 2012 SRT8 Yellow Jacket today. Short story, they have stripped the road on way home from work, Monday start to re-pave it was announced starts Monday 9-11. So today was going to be my last day to drive this route. However to my sadness i came around the corner on a hill and Bam stuck in traffic with several cars behind me.

I figured ok they are just prepping, we started moving again there was a tanker truck on the opposite side of the road spraying down a pre mix of black oil which i assume has some sort of adhesive in it before they lay black top, i couldnt get away, so when i got home i have brown stains and a few chips on the Nose . Stains all over , so for the past few hrs ive done everything i could think of to remove said ' demon spots' . tried Wd40 soak wipe, Meguair's Tar/ bug removal// Meg's medium Compund/ acetone fingernail polish remover
and my last attempt was laquer thinner. Even tried Meg's Clay bar, All Fails....

I got the tar itself off, and 90% of the tiny spray spots, but i am left with 2 Ugly area's. not to mention 4-5 chips that have gone through the clearcoat.
So if anyone has any brainstorm idea's outside of having to get the bumper repainted hit me up lol. Yes Drive it and have fun but it really pizzes me off

pic #1. before shot after i got tar off
#2. After the various chemical treatments
#3 alcohol wiped then compound polish

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
Anything with oil in it. Vegetable oil or, if you want to let it stick and work for a while, creamy peanut butter.

Mineral spirits. I degrease parts from cars I'm restoring by placing them in a 4 gallons of mineral spirits.

·
Registered
2012 Yellow Jacket SRT8
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the Turtle wax tar remover with excellent results...
The wide had some - No Dice

Anything with oil in it. Vegetable oil or, if you want to let it stick and work for a while, creamy peanut butter.

Mineral spirits. I degrease parts from cars I'm restoring by placing them in a 4 gallons of mineral spirits.
Vegetable oil - No effect
Mineral spirits - i brushed some on let stand 5 mins- Nothing, so i taped a sponge with it over area for 15 mins- Nothing

the peanut butter- let it sit on for 10 mins- It seemed to make it fade a tiny bit , LOL, so tried more let sit for 1/2 hr no additional effects

Thank you both for the ideas, I was surprised the peanut butter made it lighten a little, just wish it had more power lol

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
WHAT A HORRIBLE THING! Good job.

·
Registered
2012 Yellow Jacket SRT8
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE,
So, again thanks everyone, I tried them all except the chemical guys product, Nothing worked.
However as hard as it is to believe I got it close out with of all things.. dawn liquid dish soap, and a household Magic eraser by Mr. Clean. Unreal
LMAO.... so basically after bunch of $ wasted, lots of time and a bunch of chemical methods store bought and house hold The wife asked me if i tried Mr. Clean's Magic eraser, Im like no, that wont do #$%^&!. She says try it ya never know, And sure as im writing this I got SCHOOLED.

It came down to $2 magic eraser for cleaning and some dish soap.
I did google it afterwards to find out in a corvette forum there is a post about it. Never woulda thought.

Method: i didnt apply much pressure fear of scratching , but i did have to use med pressure and when wiped off and dried It did take make the stains almost disappear , but scuffed the clear a little bit, not much though, somepolish compound and wax afterwards cant even notice. Im a Happy Guy, just need to hit the chips with some paint Done..
Behold the picture spliced before, during all my various attempts, then Final outcome. So yeah that $2 sponge is like a gold bar to me now, After-thoughts use again with lighter pressure

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Glad that's over!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,871 Posts
She' s keeper...the wife I mean ;)

A Guy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts