Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to relay my recent experience. Started my 2010 R/T, Auto, the other day and had ESP, BAS, squiggles and CHECK ENGINE lights. Backed out of the driveway and it wouldn't shift out of first gear. Turned the car off; restarted and same thing. Since I'm not close to any place with a reader and I didn't feel safe driving at 30 mph, I had it towed to the dealer.
They said both the transmission controller and totally integrated power modules failed; one may have caused the other but couldn't tell.
So $2000 for parts and $500 in labor later, I'm back on the road.
Once I had the part numbers I found that Dodge charged me 2x what I could have bought them for.
Oh well...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had that issue when I went to do my PCM swap. I pulled it to get the numbers off of it when I put it back I must of not seeded it all the way because everything you described was what mine was doing. I just re-seeded it tight and all went away thank goodness. Info doesn't help you now but maybe somebody will read and think to check. Painful lesson either was sorry to hear.

-Dogg

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
Just want to relay my recent experience. Started my 2010 R/T, Auto, the other day and had ESP, BAS, squiggles and CHECK ENGINE lights. Backed out of the driveway and it wouldn't shift out of first gear. Turned the car off; restarted and same thing. Since I'm not close to any place with a reader and I didn't feel safe driving at 30 mph, I had it towed to the dealer.
They said both the transmission controller and totally integrated power modules failed; one may have caused the other but couldn't tell.
So $2000 for parts and $500 in labor later, I'm back on the road.
Once I had the part numbers I found that Dodge charged me 2x what I could have bought them for.
Oh well...
I hate to hear you had such an expensive break-down, but it’s good you’re back up and running without any major damage having been done...your bank acct excluded of course.

So I am curious about the sudden failure of these modules. Had you done any work on the car or modded it in any way just prior to the incident, or was that just something that happened out of the blue?

I don’t like casting dispersions on others without knowing the whole story, so I’ll stop short of declaring that dealership’s service department a bunch of crooks.

However, just from the info you gave and knowing what I know about how these cars tend to break down and what usually fails and what doesn’t, I will say my Okey-Doke sense is tingling.

Not sure if that term is universal or not, but I know the behavior is. Growing up, any time someone went in to have an automotive problem addressed by a “professional” mechanic but ended up paying for way more parts and labor than was necessary, we called that an Okey-Doke.

As in, the explanation they gave you doesn’t really sound right, and what they replaced are all high margin items, plus there’s no easy way to verify their side of things. I thinks it’s possible they pulled an Okey-Doke on you. 😠

If they did, don’t take it to bad, they clearly knew what they were doing and have done it before, and they will do it again most certainly if that’s the case.

Again, I’m not saying they did anything wrong, I would need more info before making that assertion. But just from the few details you provided, something doesn’t seem to be stirring the Kool-Aid...

Anyway, that’s in the past, and this is the present. Good to hear your rolling again, that’s the main thing that counts! 😎

Nuke

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
1,928 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Nuke; no, I hadn't done anything to the car. As a matter of fact I hadn't used it in a week.
Unfortunately the nature of the failure didn't allow me to drive the car (limp home mode), so I wasn't able to get to a code reader and so some research.
I never heard the term 'Okey-Doke' but I am skeptical of what happened here having no way to verify what I was told. And as you say they replaced all the high-dollar items. I bought a 1985 Monte Carlo SS new and after about 2 years of ownership it developed a problem where the torque converter wouldn't unlock, so I brought it to a trans shop and was told the torque converter stator was coming apart and paid for a 'rebuild'. Of course there was no internet back then, but if you are familiar with the first gen GM OD trans you know that the solenoid that locks the converter would fail and that's probably what happened to me!
So, Oh well again!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bummer to hear Tony. Like others, my “BS radar” is pinging a bit. I’m curious if they gave you the failed parts back. I’d be inclined to put them back in and see if the car miraculously “self heals”. Something as simple as a loose/wet connection can do some funky things. Now if your car was hit by lightning and that popped two controllers with independent voltage regulators, I’d be leaning toward both failing. One taking out the other though seems extremely unlikely. Glad you got it back running, sorry to hear it cost you dearly. Ask the missus for an OBD reader for Christmas, they’re not expensive and come in handy big time!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about asking for the old parts, but I'm guessing you would need a simulator to check them. I could have swapped them back in one at a time but if I found something what recourse would I have? I'm sure the dealer would just say they followed the codes...
OBD reader sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’d put them both in and see if the problem returns. Can’t smoke smoked controllers, right?

If the problem comes back, you can sleep knowing the parts you bought were needed.

If the problem doesn‘t return, a drive to the dealership politely asking them to explain how parts they condemned as failed were able to bring you to their door. The conversation should be enlightening if for entertainment value alone.

Not sure they’d buy the parts back or credit you the labor but you’ll factually know they misdiagnosed and have a solid reason not to use their Service Department again. That was the thoughts I was thinking.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
423 Posts
I hadn't done anything to the car. As a matter of fact I hadn't used it in a week.
Almost sounds like a case of rodents chewing on some wiring.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was my first thought and I looked around but didn't find anything. I have had that happen to this car - ws washer level sensor and front side marker light wires (I since removed the lower spoiler cover). Its been 2 weeks now and I drove it in the rain yesterday and so far no problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts