Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Challenger SE. The V6 was replaced with a 5.7 from a 2013 Charger Pursuit with 6.1 heads and cam, Nag1 and 3.91 LSD. I swapped the 3.91 diff out to a 3.06 and now it won't shift gears properly and is stuck in a running gear. My programmer guy reset the trans adaptives which put it in limp mode sticking it in 1st gear. I swapped in a spare TCM I had which got me back to the running gear at least. It is retiring showing TCM incompatible. A local transmission shop said that is my problem. It used to show this error when it had the 3.91 in it but never had the shifting issues. I don't want to just start buying a bunch of TCM's hoping one will take. How do I know which TCM will work or do I need to get an ECU and TCM together that came out of a 2010 RT? Please help, I feel like this car is possessed, it will work eventually but till it decides to do so it will torcher me as much as it can.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,321 Posts
The woes of swapping from a V6 3.5 or 3.6 to a V8 is also the whole Wiring and Modules to make it work PCM and BCM need to be together as well as Harness.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,731 Posts
Not sure if Chllngrswpr can offer you any advice

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
I wonder if the tuning needs to have the gear ratio / tire size correction?

I recall in my first Challenger ('09) with the hand held tuner - it had choices for tire sizes and final gear ratio in differential

if the rpm is incorrect for a given gear it will go into Limp Home mode if there's incompatible wheel speed to what the tables are set for tuning

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I did a bunch of digging and research.
The 5.7 they used was out of a 2013 Charger Pursuit.
The ECU they gave it back to me with is P05187901ae which shows it's for a 2009 Charger.
The TCM is p05150434ac which lists for a 2010 charger/Challenger.

The ECU for a 2010 Challenger RT is a 5150504aa.

So if I have this all right I need to get the new ECU? Does that sound right?

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,708 Posts
Got me, but I am following along, good luck.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,321 Posts
You need to ask [email protected] Steve White Motors what he suggests on this. When your doing an V8 upgrade to a V6 car, it presents a ton of issues.

I would think the harness / ECM / PMC / TCM all need to be for a Challenger- not a Charger. While they share same chassis, but extended for the Charger, I'd only be guessing, but think there are differences with them. Perhaps there is different mapping, who knows? However I'd keep it simple- go with Challenger specific parts. It's a major PITA to sort through and why many don't go through the woes of the mods and conversions.

Again, you said you used a V6 wiring harness etc., so its missing the wiring for a V8. There is two more cylinders that harness is not communicating with by its design.

Luke covered this, and pay attention to the fact a V6 to V8 sounds like you need a 2010 Challenger wiring harness and such, but listen, they are different and if that engine is not communicating to the those components it's because the main wiring harness is still a V6- not a V8.

Even though its not a Hellcat swap, your engine is not going to work with that harness. Next, your cooling System is not adequate for a V8, as well. It needs more air and cooling for 2 more cylinders.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Again you said you used a V6 Wiring Harness etc., so its missing the wiring for a V8 there is two more Cylinders that Harness is not communicating with by it's design.
Nah, no big deal, the V8 has 10 more spark plugs, and he got it running, so I assume he has the complete ENGINE harness already. Just getting a transmission controller to talk to the rest of the car correctly. And there have been more major changes in automatic transmissions and shifters than there has been in engines since these cars came out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry if I didn't explain it right. The car has been running for over 2 years on this setup, even with the TCM incompatible error. I just swapped from a 3.91 diff to a 3.06 and it now is having issues and stuck in 3rd gear. I have read where HP Tunners has an issue with changing the gearing on a swap like this, mine shows 3.06 but I am trying to get an XP laptop loaded so my old OBD2 cable can connect and verify it. I talked to ComputerAllSource and they are recommending to go with the 13 Charger ECU and TCM but I will definitely give Luke a call tomorrow and see what he thinks, thanks for the referral.

I agree with all, a v6 to v8 swap is a hell I wish on no one; especially with the shit job the shop did on our car. If I knew then what I know now... Trust me.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Sorry if I didn't explain it right. The car has been running for over 2 years on this setup, even with the TCM incompatible error. I just swapped from a 3.91 diff to a 3.06 and it now is having issues and stuck in 3rd gear. I have read where HP Tunners has an issue with changing the gearing on a swap like this, mine shows 3.06 but I am trying to get an XP laptop loaded so my old OBD2 cable can connect and verify it. I talked to ComputerAllSource and they are recommending to go with the 13 Charger ECU and TCM but I will definitely give Luke a call tomorrow and see what he thinks, thanks for the referral.

I agree with all, a v6 to v8 swap is a hell I wish on no one; especially with the shit job the shop did on our car. If I knew then what I know now... Trust me.
If it is just reprogramming the rear ratio, I would thought it would be straight forward. Which transmission do you have again? Maybe some Jeep forums would have more info, they are into drastic gear ratio swaps more.
have you totally disconnected the battery to reset it all? It won't know what rear you have until you pull out, so it should default back to working at least once, right?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry I thought I replied. It's a nag1 transmission and I've done the battery pole as well as a couple of rest ABS at resetting the gearing ratio because I heard HP tuners can sometimes have the problem fully setting it. I'm still in testing right now seeing if I can get around it with the combinations I have. I actually have a full secondary ECU and TCM slightly different numbers but along the same your mind but I'm working with to see if it isn't just a combination issue before ordering expensive parts so far this has been great advice and helping towards the issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts