Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in my day more horsepower meant rebuild the engine better pistons, bigger compression ratio, change the cam and degree it in slap on and intake holly carb throw a 100 shot nitrous kit on it with an accel dual point distributor and hey I have 450 + horse power out of my small block. Now I struggle with custom tunes when bolting on engine mods. Here is what I am doing. 2010 R/T 6spd I have purchased JBA longs tubes with JBA perf cats and will be using the new mopar 2.75 inch cat back exhaust with it. Also adding a Mopar CAI and a 180 t stat. I purchased a preditor tuner but have no idea where to start after the install. I search for many threads on this forum and just seem to get confused. One thread I read was about the gaskets used with the JBA headers it was OEM vrs the JBA and i still dont know which one to use. Any help on both the tune issue and the gaskets would help

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I use oem gaskets when I change headers. I'm a numbnut when it comes to tuning.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was there a specific reason why you used the OEM? JBA supplies a felt wrapped gasket. Is there problems with this gasket?

·
Registered
302 Posts
From experience im sure the JBA is the same material KOOKS used on there gaskets and I had 3 sets burn thru and cause header leaks.

Do yourself a favor and use the OEM header gaskets, there is a reason no one developes header leaks on OEM gaskets, because there that good and made to stand the test of time and in this case HEAT.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay that makes good sense. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
146 Posts
I used the OEM gaskets on my longtube headers and can not recommend them enough. The headers were put on a year ago and I havent had any leaks.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
toofart and some others have done install threads on the JBA shorties and they recommend the OEM gaskets. I'm running SRT8 shorties on my R/T and I'm using the OEM gasket with no problems.

I'd simply drop in one of the canned tunes off a Predator, which a kid could do with the instructions, and go from there. With the mod's you've made, you'll need to judge whether it makes sense for you to drop $350-$500 on a custom tune. You can do something in between which is an e-mail tune, but you have to datalog (read performance off your car using the Predator) to send the feedback to the tuner. You need to decide if you're up to that or not. Not hard once you do it, but you may not want to bother with that.

HemiSam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts