Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Challenger Hellcat, Plum Crazy Purple, A8 (Grape Ape)
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my FIRST failure of a tensioner pulley. I thought since the Techco came with a separate drive for the supercharger belt, having a belt tensioner break wouldn't be a problem I'd have to deal with. The tensioner didn't break but the bearing on the pulley did. Right at about 6400 rpm in RD gear! It popped the main accessory belt and destroyed the supercharger belt in an instant. I just made it to the nearest exit about 1/8 mile away as the temp got hot and steam was coming from under the hood.

All the advice of the guys running superchargers with belts running through that tensioner wasn't heard by me. Now I know that even having a spare one in the trunk along with a spare accessory belt wouldn't have helped. Replacing the accessory belt did get me home on motor alone but no boost. :(

In foresight I had been looking for the HD version of the Gates belt I was running. (K008435). NAPA didn't carry that one in the green heavy duty. I found this web site, Fleet Runner® - Micro-V® Belts, that carries all the sizes in HD at a lot less money. I ordered two for a little more than I'd pay for one locally with tax just this morning.

Now I know I have to have both belts as a spare with the tensioner and a few more tools handy in the future in the trunk.

Damn making power can be a hassle. :)

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
Glad to see you got it home safely Roscoe. I guess the bearing could have failed because of all the 6400 rpm buzzes it received lol? As the old saying goes, "if you're gonna make power you're gonna break some parts".

Jack

·
Vendor
5,673 Posts
Sorry to hear about the issue, and glad you made it home without really tearing anything up.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
WTF!! Dam I need to go take a look at mine thx for the heads up!!!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Some pictures of the pulley that failed. At first glance I thought I had just busted a belt and it took everything out. Once I took the tensioner assembly off I could see the bearing gave out. A new pulley for $15 from Auto Zone fixed it for now until the Dayco Tensioner comes in. Tomorrow I will have to jack it up and check the lower blower pulley. It is sitting a little cocked and I may have to replace it too. Earthquake won't be moving from hibernation until then.

The pulley

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
How many mile on it. I'm wondering if I should replace mine during my build. Is the Dayco an upgrade or just replacement.?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have about 8,000 on the blower, but 10,000 on the car's tensioner. The dayco is supposed to be an upgrade and more sturdier. That little pulley gets to spinning really fast sometimes. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to see you got it home safely Roscoe. I guess the bearing could have failed because of all the 6400 rpm buzzes it received lol? As the old saying goes, "if you're gonna make power you're gonna break some parts".

Jack
Sorry to hear about the issue, and glad you made it home without really tearing anything up.
Sorry to hear about your failure, glad it worked out. Thanks for the link to the HD belts.
Thanks. I hated to have my beast on the side of the road for long.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey Flint, sorry to see this, that sucks. But I have a question for you. What displacement (5.7 - 6.1 based) is your motor, what damper and which belt where you using?.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Flint, sorry to see this, that sucks. But I have a question for you. What displacement (5.7 - 6.1 based) is your motor, what damper and which belt where you using?.
My motor is a 6.1 forged at 9.1CR. I am using a Professional Products Powerforce damper. The factory accessory belt was still in use until today. :(

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was a 6.1 belt, but it went on pretty easy. The tensioner wasn't at the limit. I am using a Dayco 5060815 belt now. I have two new Gates K080435HD belts coming in the mail to replace the supercharger drive with.

·
Registered
165 Posts
OK, I was just checking. Far to many times I've seen a aftermarket damper the same size as a stock 5.7 unit. And of course, the 6.1 belt doesn't fit and stresses everything.

Sounds to me like a fluke, but still a major PITA.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, I was just checking. Far to many times I've seen a aftermarket damper the same size as a stock 5.7 unit. And of course, the 6.1 belt doesn't fit and stresses everything.

Sounds to me like a fluke, but still a major PITA.

Good luck.
YES! Thanks

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
First I've heard of the actual bearing in the pulley self destructing. Seems most times the actual tensioner housing shatters when the stop hits the limit.

The Dayco has an upgraded internal spring. Not sure if the bearing would be considered an upgrade or not but mine felt like a substantial unit when I held it in my hand.

I buzz mine all the way up to 6800 RPMs!

SRT5939 has broken more tensioners than anyone I know. I think he broke a half dozen or so stock ones. I'm not sure if he ever broke a Dayco or not, but he recently upgraded to a Ford tensioner with an adapter plate from HHP to fit.

Those KB blowers are tougher on tensioners though.

A grenading tensioner is not joke. A.J.s broke at the track and took out his oil line. GSO's broke at CF and took out his AC line.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Roscoe glad you were able to get home, those pulleys they use from the factory are on the cheap side and will go byebye sooner or later... always good to carry emergency stuff but at this rate I'm gonna run out of room in the trunk...I'll let you know about the billet tensioner that's coming soon :)

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I don't know why the tensioner would ave any more stress than stock on a Techco. It doesn't look very stout to me though.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I don't know why the tensioner would ave any more stress than stock on a Techco. It doesn't look very stout to me though.
Is the techo driven completely independently of the accessories?

In other words, is the stock belt used on the accessories?

On my Maggie it shares the belt with the accessories, and you use a longer one to fit around everything.

I keep my stock tensioner in the trunk along with a spare belt.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts