Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i have been chatting with a guy selling a techo supercharger. It is cheap and i have not alot of info on them . What little u do know is they folded up yrs ago. So parts are sparce at best. It is on the car and has 20000 miles on it. Supposed to be a complete kit. They look like a nice unit but i am jot sure if he has instructions to install at it is on a 300. Again the price is right. So the million dollar question. Do i chance it and buy it. Or hold tight and get what i have been lookin at.

If anyone here has one or had one please speak up

Thanks
Chris

sent from mobile device

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
How much? Gonna be a chore if certain parts are needed or break in the future, a well liked blower kit from what I've seen. It'd have to be pretty damn compelling price wise to take the risk.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

sent from mobile device

·
Registered
275 Posts
uhh, I would save that money and add to it over some time and get a KB or other ..the idea of that company not existing anymore would scare me away..not that the quality sucks..but its just asking for trouble in the future.

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
uhh, I would save that money and add to it over some time and get a KB or other ..the idea of that company not existing anymore would scare me away..not that the quality sucks..but its just asking for trouble in the future.
Agreed 100%.

Out of business, scarce parts and unknown install. He would be lucky to get $500 for it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope i completely understand.. just looking and trying to decide what avenue i want to go.

i do realize that sometimes even though it is a A DEAL it's not A DEAL so to speak in the long term

chris

·
Registered
529 Posts
I paid 2000 for one with a lot less miles.
My previous techco had bad screws and gearset. It was basically a paperweight

·
Registered
47 Posts
Techco Supercharger

I had Jon Bond Performance upgrade the bearings and relace the seals with spring loaded double lip teflon seals. Everbody says you are S.O.L. if you need parts, I don't see the problem any supercharger repair shop can either cut or have rotors cut, shafts made, and gears made. the Techco is a awesome design the only thing is the noise that radiates through the intercooler extrusion. If you have a Techco system that is complete with a bad head unit mount a whipple 2.3l head unit to the intercooler/intake stup the only thing is the whipple intake is in the rear but no big deal.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I had Jon Bond Performance upgrade the bearings and relace the seals with spring loaded double lip teflon seals. Everbody says you are S.O.L. if you need parts, I don't see the problem any supercharger repair shop can either cut or have rotors cut, shafts made, and gears made. the Techco is a awesome design the only thing is the noise that radiates through the intercooler extrusion. If you have a Techco system that is complete with a bad head unit mount a whipple 2.3l head unit to the intercooler/intake stup the only thing is the whipple intake is in the rear but no big deal.
I priced a gearset, over $900 and 6 weeks lead time, you need someone with a 5 axis EDM machine as the gears are helical. I would be afraid to ask what a set of screws would cost, probably close to the price of a new supercharger.
If and when mine goes I'm getting a KB 3.6

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well when you do decide to replace yours let me know. I want another one I'm going to adapt a whipple 4.0L head unit if it physically fits if not a KB head unit has a smaller footprint. I sometimes take for granted the resources I have available I imagine if I had to pay full price for everything I would have a different outlook. But I like making my own stuff.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
529 Posts
Well when you do decide to replace yours let me know. I want another one I'm going to adapt a whipple 4.0L head unit if it physically fits if not a KB head unit has a smaller footprint. I sometimes take for granted the resources I have available I imagine if I had to pay full price for everything I would have a different outlook. But I like making my own stuff.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Do you have the ability to make screws and gearsets? I have my old one if you're interested send me a pm.
It now has a polished plenimum for a 4.6 ford on it, I bought a working unit from a mustang and swapped parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts