Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to hear stories about you and your Challenger... about gawkers or in general.

I don't really have any myself. I have seen a few heads snap around, and overheard someone say "Now THAT'S a Challenger!". I also saw a guy trying to take pictures while driving beside me down the interstate.

And I've lost track of the number of times I've said "No, the Dukes of Hazzard's car was a CHARGER" or "No, I don't have any Daisy Duke shorts. Anymore."

So what's your story?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody has any stories?? Wow, I thought there would be a lot of 'em. :scratchhead:

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Everytime I take mine out I get showered with women's undergarments. It's become such a common occurrence I don't even think to mention it anymore.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well I've had mine 3 months and so far just one compliment at the gas station
while filling up. Of course in SoCal and there are literally thousands of cars nicer
than mine so I don't really mind as I prefer to be below the radar anyhow. I
know, boring story.

·
Registered
159 Posts
We have had lots of comments, and "take me for a ride" about every other day went through the drive thru at McD's and the kid taking the money and also the one that gave us our food both said NICE CAR!

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
happens all the time around here! not many Challengers, let alone B5 SRT8's ... the first time i parked at a restaurant i was way in the back and we sat outside to eat. i saw 2 teens taking pics with their phones. they inched closer and closer and finally when they got about a foot from it i chirped the alarm LOL ... they took off running

·
Registered
112 Posts
I very rarely drive mine but there hasn't been a single time I've been out in it that I have NOT gotten either a thumbs up, a "hell yeah!", double takes or a request to roll the window down so someone can ask a question about it.

Just yesterday a guy had me put the window down so he could ask if the car "had any ass" and what diameter the exhaust is. haha Funny thing is there's nothing particularly exceptional about my car. No mods other than a CAI and Mopar sway bars-neither of which are seen anyhow. :) I have some chrome lettering on the rear fenders and a few badges on the spoiler but that's it. Just a plain jane black R/T with hood-to-fender red stripes.

Feels good to drive such a looker! I seriously doubt Camaro owners get the same treatment. Personally, I don't even look twice when I see one.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I took my Challenger out for some exercise today. Picked up a friend for lunch. While I am waiting for him in the visitors lot:
- Older couple gawk as they enter their Crown Vic. As he backs out and drives away, he is saying to his companion "That's a Challenger..." I read his lips.

- Two guys on their lunch run trot by. Both of their heads swivel and gawk at the car.

On my way home:

- A CTS-V pulls out and along side of me. Unfortunately, I was getting off the exit.

- A police officer traveling the opposite way swivels his head 180*, gawking at the Challenger.

The Challenger is by no means a car for the introvert. The fact that it draws so much attention has caused me to reduce my speed on the highway. Probably a good thing anyways.

Oh, my friend is a Mustang guy who is contemplating the new 5.0 GT. I let him drive the SRT. His head is now spinning. He might buy the 5.0 and agree to trade cars with me every once in awhile.

·
Registered
161 Posts
A couple days ago we had a rare clear and dry day near Detroit so I thought it was safe to take the machine out without fear of salt.I talked my wife[who doesn't understand or appreciate what we do in these things] into going with me for some dinner.Well,I found a break in traffic and pulled onto the cold dry asphalt and couldn't help myself.I got it moving a little,switched off the traction control,floored the throttle,and dumped the clutch.Holy crap did it act up!Wheel hop like mad,spinning all over the place,the exhaust and burning rubber sounded so good. i feathered the throttle enough to be able to do the same into most of second gear.
Then,my wife proceeded to tell me what an azz I was and how I'm gonna get a ticket.Well,as she was still crucifying me and my madness,I looked in the rear view mirror and saw the dreaded blue and red lights back there.Crap,I slowed down and carefully pulled into the mall on the corner and awaited my doom.Well,the cop blew right by into the distance.My wife looked at me and laughed.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
In March of 2009 driving down the freeway... 20 degrees out mind you... a car slowly goes by me and the back window goes down and a 20 yearish old climbs out the window, gives me a big thumbs up and takes a cell phone pic... going 70MPH!

Once in a while I come out of a store and walking up to my car someone is walking past it looking or a car drives by slowly looking at it.

It is really funny when a guy in a 5 series BMW or a Benz SUV with a 10k gold watch says WOW as he turns in front of my car while I am stopped at a stop light.

A while back I turn down a road and there is a 30ish year old female in an old Accord on her cell phone... as I turn she is talking on the phone pointing at my car and I make out her saying It's a Challenger... It's a Challenger! and gives me a thumbs up!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had an elderly man pull up next to me and tell me that they did an awesome restoration job on my Challenger. I then kindly advised him that it was a 2009. I still don't think he believed me. True Story

·
Registered
24 Posts
Even though my BB R/T is a striking automobile, here in South OC it's just another car on the road. On my street alone there's an M5, an E55, a CL63 AMG, two Z06s, and a yellow Gallardo.

That said, it's my Challenger and the Gallardo that gets all the looks, "thumbs-up," and neighbors waving us over to tell us what great-looking cars we have.

In an area where you can't drive a mile w/o seeing several Mustangs and Chargers, it's rare to see a Challenger.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I had an elderly man pull up next to me and tell me that they did an awesome restoration job on my Challenger. I then kindly advised him that it was a 2009. I still don't think he believed me. True Story
I've had that happen as well.

My wife loves the attention more than I do. I let her take it to my local Jiffy Lube type place (I only use one that has been properly vetted and bring my own stuff). When she pulls in they yell "Mr. Chuck's Car!" and they entire crew stops what they are doing to attend to my car which makes her day!

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Even though my BB R/T is a striking automobile, here in South OC it's just another car on the road. On my street alone there's an M5, an E55, a CL63 AMG, two Z06s, and a yellow Gallardo.

That said, it's my Challenger and the Gallardo that gets all the looks, "thumbs-up," and neighbors waving us over to tell us what great-looking cars we have.

In an area where you can't drive a mile w/o seeing several Mustangs and Chargers, it's rare to see a Challenger.
You're lucky. I live on a suburban cul-de-sac with only 15 houses and there are about 12 Toyotas and 6 of them are Highlanders plus their kids, my in-laws, and business partner have Highlanders. Any given day it looks like a farghin' Toyota dealership. Fortunately My Challenger and my next door neighbor's '64 'Vette dress it up a bit.

·
Registered
394 Posts
*Every* time I go out, without fail, I get a compliment on the car. Usually from drive-thru personnel.

About a year ago I was in an Arby's drive-thru about a mile from the small town where I grew up. The girl at the window was complimenting my car and asked if I was from [local-street-name, I forget where]. I said no, and she proceeded to tell me that they "did" a lot of these up there.

It wasn't until I was miles down the road that I realized she thought it was a restoration. She wasn't the first. I had an older gentleman once shout across a parking lot to ask me what year it was. When I said "it's an '09" he looked really confused. Later I realized he thought it was a '70s model.

I've never gotten a negative comment. Closest thing is when someone leads off with "what kind of mileage does that thing get?" It always sounds as if they've already had the first part of the conversation in their head and got to the "yeah, it's great, but..." part. The positives are so obvious that they are trying to find the negative, you know?

·
Registered
585 Posts
One of my first days driving it, almost 2 years ago already, i pull up to a light and a 20 something year old kid pulls up next to me w his girlfriend in his cavalier. He looks over at me and starts revving his engine, it was really funny. We shared a good laugh over it and parted ways. On another trip home from work, I was cruising down the highway doin about 65 in the middle lane when this older van comes racing up next to me in the right lane. It's two 30 something spanish ladies and they start blowing kisses at me. I start laughing and blowing kisses back to them. They gave me a thumbs up and sped off. I too have had many people ask me what year it is, can they take a picture of it, and ask how fast it is, mostly when I first got the car. It seems that now that there are more of them on the road the Rock Star Status has worn off a little. But i still get some stares and I love every minute of it.

·
Banned
557 Posts
I've only had my Challenger a few days but heads are constantly turning. Perhaps my best story in my short ownership had to be today at lunch. I was on the highway heading to the restaurant and see a highway patrol come flying up on me. I look at the speedo and I was only 5 over so I never let up.

I guess he just wanted to check it out. He stayed on my tail for awhile, then I changed lanes and he came up and kept pace with me for awhile checking out the car and then smiled and zoomed by.

Honestly, I thought about revving at him. Of course, I probably wouldn't be typing this if I did, lol.

My best car story of all time though had to be my Camaro from years back...an 89 Camaro RS. It was nice -- gunmetal grey w/ custom stripes, wheels, etc. I am passing a convertible top car and one of the girls stands up and drops her top and gives me 2 thumbs up (I think -- my eyes were focused elsewhere).

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I had a similar situation but it was an elderly woman (70+) who asked me how long it took me to restore the car. When I told her it was a new car she said something like "that is NOT a new car, these people don't know how to build cars like THAT any more".

Get a lot of thumbs up, lot of people that point, occasionally I'll walk out of a business or something in time to see someone taking pictures with a phone.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I posted to a similar thread a ton of examples of great things that have happened to me in reference to people's reactions. A couple more since then:

Driving back to lunch I come to a light next to a toyota dealership where a woman with a young kid in her arms is getting the sales pitch from the toyota sales guy on a sedan. The kid reaches his arm out, points at my challenger and yells to his mom "That one!". (paraphrased. I was 20 feet away)

As I am coming out a of a convenience store, to my shock (and horror) there is a cop parked next to my challenger and the cop is sitting on the hood of the cop car, arms folded, sunglasses on.
Big lump in my throat. (how fast was I going before i pulled in???)
Its a woman cop. (not that hot) :(
She proceeds to open up and tell me how much she loves my car. Asks me to pop the hood, start it. Asks me about what I've done to it. and goes on and on about an old Plymouth she used to have.
Phew.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts