Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys getting for a typical operating temp for a stock thermostat? I have noticed that my car has the needle hovering over the 215 mark in the center of the temp gauge. I hadnt thought about it much until I realized that our thermostats are (IIRC) 195 degrees stock?

Is this a normal reading or am I having some issues somewhere? Seems kind of warm to me...

·
Registered
163 Posts
if you put in a 180 and change the fans, you will see it drop to around 190ish....

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,259 Posts
Heat indexes are running 105-110 here now. I sat idling for about 25 minutes yesterday and it never went over 208.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SRT 6spd detonator yellow
512 Posts
215 is where mine reads fully warmed up.........

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,374 Posts
Remember the thermostat is the temp that the engine will not go below, not the upper limit. Fans control upper limit.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SRT 6spd detonator yellow
512 Posts
Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Remember the thermostat is the temp that the engine will not go below, not the upper limit. Fans control upper limit.
Fans coupled with the cooling capacity of the cooling system. The system must have enough radiator surface area and coolant flow with the fans running that any heat load the engine can produce this can be removed. Otherwise the engine would go into a run away overheating condition.

My limited experience at least with one car is 226F appeared to be the max temperature the cooling system would reach. The temperature did not go any higher -- despite at least one attempt on my part to make it go higher. The car's cooling system reached equilibrium with the heat output of the engine with a combination of radiator capacity, coolant flow, and air flow from the fans running -- admittedly in this case at high speed.

·
Super Moderator
14,134 Posts
My 6.1 runs around 215 F. Our engines are designed for these high temperatures to help comply with emission regulations.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
My 6.1 runs around 215 F. Our engines are designed for these high temperatures to help comply with emission regulations.
It is more than to help the engine meet emissions regulations. It is to minimize wear, promote cleaner combustion which is emissions related but also affects things of a more of immediate interest to the driver like driveability, fuel economy. This also works to reduce oil contamination which makes those "extended" oil changes feasible.

Running the engine colder changes the whole of the engine dynamic and for the worse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts