Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Dodge Challenger getting hot at low RPM’s, but doesn’t overheat apparently. I’ve taken it to the dealership where the service rep tells me, today, they can smell coolant but can’t tell where it’s coming from and confirmed unit is building lots of pressure! Radiator fan seems to be working fine.

Just two months ago we replaced heater hose, thermostat, and radiator fan power supply housing due to a recent overheat in response to an issue with my radiator fan not working properly. and just recently the car starts getting hot again. According to the service rep, my car is not overheating but is only getting hot. And he supported that statement with the reason that the temp will only get to a certain temp and then cools back down, but this cycle is consistent and will not stop unless you shut off the car or raise RPMs.

They’re keeping my car over the weekend “because they’re going to have to dig into the engine.” No signs of head gasket trouble in coolant. What could we be looking at here?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,663 Posts
Lots of possibilities, hard to diagnose long distance, etc.

Having said that, my first suspect would be the thermostat. Where was it sourced/what brand is it?

If it’s a Motorad or Stant from the local NAPA, you wouldn’t be the first person to have a brand new one malfunction on you so quickly.

If it’s an OEM from the dealership, I’m less inclined to suspect it. I would start measuring temps of the hoses at critical spots like entry and exit of radiator, heater hoses behind block, etc. Even using an infrared temp gun on the radiator face would be good to tell just where the temp is getting abnormal in the system.

·
Registered
16,285 Posts
Just two months ago we replaced heater hose, thermostat..
We? Did you follow the correct procedure in refilling? Easy to get air in the system and can cause these symptoms.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,663 Posts
We? Did you follow the correct procedure in refilling? Easy to get air in the system and can cause these symptoms.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I heard @A Guy was present but refused to help in the refilling/burping steps (something about not liking the taste of antifreeze, IDK), that’s probably what he meant by “we” - him and @A Guy.

Although, I swear, whenever @A Guy tries to help, his constant yammering can be a real hinderance sometimes...”i don’t think you should taste that”, “don’t light that on fire!”, and my personal favorite, “one step closer and I’m calling the cops!!

But I will say he’s really good in dealing the paramedics, he knows just what to say to them if they end up getting called. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Slidd

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
27,308 Posts
If they are men in white coats, I just figure they are already familiar with you...

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,292 Posts
2016 Dodge Challenger getting hot at low RPM’s, but doesn’t overheat apparently. I’ve taken it to the dealership where the service rep tells me, today, they can smell coolant but can’t tell where it’s coming from and confirmed unit is building lots of pressure! Radiator fan seems to be working fine.

Just two months ago we replaced heater hose, thermostat, and radiator fan power supply housing due to a recent overheat in response to an issue with my radiator fan not working properly. and just recently the car starts getting hot again. According to the service rep, my car is not overheating but is only getting hot. And he supported that statement with the reason that the temp will only get to a certain temp and then cools back down, but this cycle is consistent and will not stop unless you shut off the car or raise RPMs.

They’re keeping my car over the weekend “because they’re going to have to dig into the engine.” No signs of head gasket trouble in coolant. What could we be looking at here?
Getting hot is relevant. Engines get hot. Even healthy ones. Around town, at low RPMs, my Hellcat engine gets plenty warm both coolant and oil temperature. With another car when operated in a high ambient temperature -- 116F -- the coolant temperature climbed to 226F but went no higher. Under less extreme temperature conditions if the A/C is off the engine coolant temperature can climb to the point the radiator fan comes on then the coolant temperature falls as the fan does its job. With another car the fans turned on at 216F and shut off at 205F. My Hellcat fan comes on at about 216F and shuts off at about 208F.

You need to know how hot the engine, the coolant, is getting.

The odor of antifreeze can be important. It might be due to spilled coolant when the heater hose, thermostat was replaced. While I am not a fan of washing engines in this case I would be on board with at least rinsing the cold engine and radiator and hoses with garden hose water. In a pinch you can carry buckets of hot water to the car and pour over the engine.

Afterwards start the engine and let it idle until the accessory drive belts no longer slip due to being wet then drive the car around town -- with the A/C off -- and get the engine nice and hot to thoroughly dry the engine and engine compartment.

Back home raise engine RPMs to the point the coolant temperature gets hot enough to trigger the radiator fan to come on. Shut off the engine. Wait. If you smell antifreeze now there's a leak. In fact with the engine hot and the cooling system under considerable pressure if there's a leak you will probably see signs of a coolant leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts