Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys who race on road courses, open track days etc, what kind of temps are you seeing after a long session? Coolant temp, oil temp, trans temp and differential temp if you check it with an IR gun or something. Does running the transmission in Street/Sport/Track mode make any difference in trans temp? Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I noticed that the coolant temp was 206, but the oul temp was over 200 which is when I really started to feel the power start to go down. I gave a manual transmission, I ran in track mode. I was racing at the road course at Brainerd International Raceway, at the power Cruise in August. After a 1 hour break, I went back out, and the car felt much faster. The heat soak was pulling power from the engine for sure. Maybe 50 horse or so. I have a scatpack Shaker 392 Challenger.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
SRT says to remove bellypans for track use to help with cooling.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smokn05

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed that the coolant temp was 206, but the oul temp was over 200 which is when I really started to feel the power start to go down. I gave a manual transmission, I ran in track mode. I was racing at the road course at Brainerd International Raceway, at the power Cruise in August. After a 1 hour break, I went back out, and the car felt much faster. The heat soak was pulling power from the engine for sure. Maybe 50 horse or so. I have a scatpack Shaker 392 Challenger.

Hmm, that's interesting. Those temps seem extremely cool, not hot. On a 50F day cruising the hwy at 60mph I will see coolant at 206F and oil over 212F. Ideally oil temps should be above 212F anyway to shed condensation. This past summer on an 85F evening cruising at 35mph in track mode at higher rpm (for the exhaust sound, cruising the Good Guys carshow) my coolant was 227F and oil was 240F.

On BWMs I've been in on track days, I've seen oil temps of 260F. BTW, we usually go to the NHRA event there at BIR every Aug. Nice facility.

·
Super Moderator
15,730 Posts
You'll observe coolant temps rise on track or road course driving.

I've seen the oil [typically 215-217*F] get near 260*F - coolant generally will run 203-206*F and once it gets to 212*+ F, the fans will kick on and be able to maintain.

Once you're back to staightaways or not driving at high rpm, the temps will come down.

Mine's an M6 / 392, so no trans oil temps in my application.

·
Vendor
12,386 Posts

thats extremely low, 220 and overheating will probably happen on a hot day, oil temps in the 260+

in Bigred, we cannot compare with a stock ish car, since 800hps, supercharged, but temps in the 230's and oil temps in the 270's and sometime plus

before we replaced the radiator and added a fan we would overheat the car on a hot NC day.....for 2019, new radiator, new dual fan set up, no condenser, Hellcat oil cooler set up, accusump and a bunch of modifications as well as the hellcat front end to help in cooling, etc

·
Registered
168 Posts
I may have understated the oil temps. I have a 192 thermostat. But the rising oil temps was where I noticed the heat soak and the power starting to dip. That's all. My next goal. Running 11s with about 460rwhp all motor ,6 speed.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
thats extremely low, 220 and overheating will probably happen on a hot day, oil temps in the 260+

in Bigred, we cannot compare with a stock ish car, since 800hps, supercharged, but temps in the 230's and oil temps in the 270's and sometime plus

before we replaced the radiator and added a fan we would overheat the car on a hot NC day.....for 2019, new radiator, new dual fan set up, no condenser, Hellcat oil cooler set up, accusump and a bunch of modifications as well as the hellcat front end to help in cooling, etc
I've been wondering about installing the Hellcat oil cooler on the N/A engines. Specifically in place of the oil/coolant heat exchanger that the 6.4L has from factory. If it's designed for keeping oil temps down on a 700+ hp supercharged engine, it should have no problem handling anything a 6.4L can do, right?

Is this an upgrade that can be done or is worth doing? Or would you need a Hellcat fascia with the bigger lower grille opening to really take advantage?

·
Vendor
12,386 Posts
I've been wondering about installing the Hellcat oil cooler on the N/A engines. Specifically in place of the oil/coolant heat exchanger that the 6.4L has from factory. If it's designed for keeping oil temps down on a 700+ hp supercharged engine, it should have no problem handling anything a 6.4L can do, right?

Is this an upgrade that can be done or is worth doing? Or would you need a Hellcat fascia with the bigger lower grille opening to really take advantage?
space is an issue on non Hellcat front end, pretty sure can be made to fit, but would require some cutting and trimming
Luke

ps definitely worth it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts