Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,073 Posts
They say 9.8 in the 1/4...

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts
If it ever gets beyond the initial "press promotion" cars.

Its almost like vaporware with Tesla - they can barely get the production on Model 3 cars going

All the show and self promotion - but will that sustain a company that hasn't figured out mass production?

About the only successful run has been the Model S sedan

but Model X was delayed, a number of issues with production models and slow to deliver.

At their burn rate of capital, there's a lot to doubt about viability.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,596 Posts
Yeah, I literally just saw on the news Tesla is introducing a Semi...I am like really? Fulfill your orders...then start focusing on new models. My poor brother-in-law is still waiting for his model 3.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I had the money I'd buy one. I just read that it can do 0-60 in 1.9 seconds. That's F'ing crazy.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
If I had the money, I'd buy myself a modest house somewhere nice and a Demon.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If I had the money, I'd buy myself a modest house somewhere nice and a Demon.
One would assume that "if I had the money" I would've already bought a Demon and a nice house! I figured buying a Demon first goes without question...

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One would assume that "if I had the money" I would've already bought a Demon and a nice house! I figured buying a Demon first goes without question...

If that was the case, I'd buy another Demon.

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts
These are expensive...!

Model / Base price / range

S 75D / $74.5K / 259mi

S 100D / $94.0K / 335mi

S P100D / $135K / 315mi

X 75D / $79.5K / 237mi

X 100D / $96.0K / 295mi

X P100D / $140K / 289mi

Then factor in the higher level charger for home installation on top of that...

There's a lot of other choices I'd make. You'd have to drive the wheels off one of these - and drive a lot miles per year to recoup what you spend.

The range on the "75" models - factoring in 15 mpg with my SPS (I average more than that running around town) my range is greater than the starter trim level in Tesla.

Those are BMW 5/ 6 series or Benz E Class / S Class price ranges.

And $250K for the Roadster II? Like the original Roadster - its the rich guy's toy.

Saw a few of them around in San Francisco when I lived there back in the day.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If that was the case, I'd buy another Demon.
Correct me if my assumption is wrong, but I take that you don't like Tesla since you'd rather have 2 Demons?

How can you not love their innovation and how much they're pushing the technological boundaries? All of this is being done without using gasoline as well. It's honestly amazing!

Unfortunately we'll eventually lose the V8 engine, but there's a lot more overall to gain from their innovations. For example, imagine if the Telsa battery could be mated to a Demon. You could switch the car to "commuter" mode to drive in the city on the battery and switch to"Demon" mode for track days and run it on gas...the possibilities are endless.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Correct me if my assumption is wrong, but I take that you don't like Tesla since you'd rather have 2 Demons?

How can you not love their innovation and how much they're pushing the technological boundaries? All of this is being done without using gasoline as well. It's honestly amazing!

Unfortunately we'll eventually lose the V8 engine, but there's a lot more overall to gain from their innovations. For example, imagine if the Telsa battery could be mated to a Demon. You could switch the car to "commuter" mode to drive in the city on the battery and switch to"Demon" mode for track days and run it on gas...the possibilities are endless.

I'll love the innovation when I can afford it.

Until then, it's a rich person's toy, which they'll likely rub all over someone's face without being asked.

·
Registered
61 Posts
why would anyone buy something from a guy that has lost money every year in business???? besides that I hear there is new battery tech that might make teslas batteries old school.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Electric will be the next brute force . Your grand kids (and maybe your kids) will look at our muscle cars as if they were horse and buggy.
When I drove the slower Tesla (2 years ago).. I knew then that the internal combustion engine days are numbered. It seemed having all power ready at 1 mph was how a car should be. It seemed so natural.
Look at the video the OP posted. The acceleration looked like the video was played at 3x speed when he floored it. Crazy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Electric will be the next brute force . Your grand kids (and maybe your kids) will look at our muscle cars as if they were horse and buggy.
When I drove the slower Tesla (2 years ago).. I knew then that the internal combustion engine days are numbered. It seemed having all power ready at 1 mph was how a car should be. It seemed so natural.
Look at the video the OP posted. The acceleration looked like the video was played at 3x speed when he floored it. Crazy.
Yup. We are only 10-15 years out from near 0 new internal combustion cars being made imo. Only exception I can see to this is if the elements needed for all those batteries becomes a huge bottle neck. But seems like engineers are pretty damn smart at finding a way around raw element limitations. New battery tech and such.

With entire nations having laws coming into effect banning internal combustion engines the manufacturers have little choice than to move everything to electric. And that's not bad - they are much less maintenance and our cities will be cleaner in the air. I will miss V8s and their sound/roar. But anything an internal combustion engine can is already outclassed easily by electric motors and batteries.

I'm so praying for an electric muscle car release someday with same body styling looks as today's Challengers, but the insane power of an electric motor. Do you think the satisfaction of blasting off from a just greened street light with a big electric, but quite, motor will live up to the satisfaction of doing so with a big V8?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think you guys have been drinking the Electric Kool-Aid.
Hah! Maybe so.

All I know is that 100% my next commuter level car will be electric... maybe a bolt or a volt. They cost less to run, less maintenance, and look decent now days. So why wouldn't you for a commuter? And now all the highest performance cars for the rich guys to play with are moving toward electric, not because it's environmentally friendly, but because they are faster. Add to this that entire European nations have laws in effect which will ban internal combustion within the next 20 years, and China is talking about doing the same, and the writing is on the wall.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hah! Maybe so.

All I know is that 100% my next commuter level car will be electric... maybe a bolt or a volt. They cost less to run, less maintenance, and look decent now days.
All of that is highly debatable, particularly the looks department.

So why wouldn't you for a commuter?
Because I don't want to or can't own two cars. Regular people will find them too expensive compared to gas cars.

Also, my city can't go 6 bloody months without a power outage, god help us if we switch over to electric.

And now all the highest performance cars for the rich guys to play with are moving toward electric, not because it's environmentally friendly, but because they are faster.
Electrically assisted, maybe, but otherwise this statement is false.

Add to this that entire European nations have laws in effect which will ban internal combustion within the next 20 years, and China is talking about doing the same, and the writing is on the wall.
Europe is irrelevant to the US car market.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts