Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friday I test drove a 14 RT at my local dealership. They are really laid back and the salesman (an older gentleman) let me take the car out Myself. I really enjoyed the ride, especially once I remembered to turn off TC. I had a nice conversation with him after I returned talking about everything from 5.7 vs 6.4, availability of 15s and how to play hardball with his sales manager. He didn't even take down my info and it was just a no-pressure pleasant experience.

Yesterday I went to a dealer around 30 miles away to test drive a 2011 SRT, mainly to feel the difference between the 2 engines. The car I drove had resonators removed and the droopy headliner (why they didn't fix that is beyond me). When I got there the car was on the lot with a SOLD sign on it, but they told me after a few minutes they would check on it. After waiting 15 minutes someone found out they did that to hold the car for me. (Power of suggestion?)

Call me crazy but I did not feel a world of difference between the RT and SRT, but maybe because I had a salesman as a passenger in the SRT and did not feel the freedom of the solo ride in the RT. More likely that I did not get either on the highway or much past 60mph. As I understand they are not that much different until romped then the 392 comes to life.

After I returned the salesman gave me the usual "what would it take to get you in this car today?" . I said I wasn't prepared to talk seriously yet but he brought out the sales manager anyway. After he felt me out he concluded this wasn't the car for me. I told him I was probably going to wait for the 15s and maybe leaning towards the scat pack. He excused himself to go talk in the back office. when he came back it was clear HE NEVER HEARD OF IT!!!

I asked him when 15s would be hitting his lot and again he had to go check. Again this is the backoffice stuffed shirt with no product knowledge. He came back and told me he didnt know but pricing and ordering would be available in about a month. I guess he wants to unload his 14s in stock. Ignorance of your product, however frustrating, i can deal with, in fact it gives me an advantage. But bullcrapping me loses any interest in even considering dealing with them.

When the time comes, I'll be giving my business to the friendly lowkey local guys

Reactions: ghostrt

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
My guess would be that the SRT was messed up, especially hearing the resonators were removed, it is hard to tell what else has been done to it.

Regardless, if you don't feel the difference between the two models, I would go with the R/T. Why pay the difference if it is not obvious to you?

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
11,072 Posts
You may not have noticed much of a difference between the two but unless the SRT has a problem there is a good bit of difference in the quarter mile. I started with a 13.68 with my R/T (worked it down through mods to a 12.8), with 2K miles on my SRT I've run a best of 12.3 (on DR's) that's a significant difference.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I'm running into some of the same ignorance, but in my case(s) I believe it to be false ignorance borne of desperation as their first priority is to clean up NOS before the 2015s are ready. And for the dealers that time is closing in fast, no matter how excruciatingly long it seems to us.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,023 Posts
You don't feel the difference between a 6.1 and a 5.7 but a 6.4 you should notice

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
You don't feel the difference between a 6.1 and a 5.7 but a 6.4 you should notice
I beg to differ, but there is a quite a large difference between the 5.7 and the 6.1, and if the OP did not see the difference in the 392 then that car is messed up.

To the OP, try another SRT.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OP here, I did notice a difference but it was modest. I expected night and day. Yes, maybe the car was screwed up

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think it was. There is a very noticable difference in the two motors. Possibility it was sick as previously stated. Also, being that the salesman was with you, you didnt have the freedom to really get into the 6.4 like you did with the 5.7.

I've driven both and it was a night and day difference in power.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I test drove an 2014 R/T and 2014 SRT8 Core within 20 minutes of each other (had really only intended to test drive the R/T that day) and I drove the exact same route. I could definitely feel a difference (and during the SRT test drive I had the sales manager in the car as well as the salesman, the R/T test drive only had the salesman). That being said the R/T was no doubt fun to drive and would not have any hesitation buying it, but given how much power was available with the SRT I am going to wait until the 2015 Scat Packs hit the lots and drop the 2014 SRT8 prices and get a 392 either way.

·
Premium Member
10,510 Posts
I get and appreciate the low key guys and their approach but don't for a minute think they are not seasoned professionals and can still get what they want out of you.
Hope you find the car you desire.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Did you say the headliner was falling down? On a 2011? Is this common?
Yes the edge against the back of the sunroof was hanging down under the sunroof molding. I can't understand why they didn't fix it after they took the car into stock.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a 2012 RT Classic and my brother in law has a 2011 IE both are stock except he has the Mopar CAI and while my RT is no slouch there is a hell of a difference. I wish I could have justified an SRT purchase but I just couldn't do it, maybe if I was 20 years younger and thought I might actually race someone some day

·
Registered
721 Posts
Just to chime in here too, I have driven a 5.7 and a 6.4 back to back (in that order too) and it is night and day different. The 6.4 has so much more torque as the big difference I felt.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so I found another used SRT, a 2012 MT with 10k on the odo. this one was healthy. I now felt the difference and it is definitely significant. They are asking $39k for the car, more or less, the same as a Scat Pack with leather.

For the money, I'd buy the SP.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
I had a similar experience...

Because my test drive was limited to city streets. You will feel the difference when you bury the throttle. Once the 6.4 hits 4K RPM.....it will really PULL HARD. It will be louder also. But for normal driving, they feel similar.

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
. . . I was probably going to wait for the 15s and maybe leaning towards the scat pack. He excused himself to go talk in the back office. when he came back it was clear HE NEVER HEARD OF IT!!!

I asked him when 15s would be hitting his lot and again he had to go check. Again this is the backoffice stuffed shirt with no product knowledge. He came back and told me he didnt know but pricing and ordering would be available in about a month. I guess he wants to unload his 14s in stock. . . .

Oh, I'm sure they know all about the 2015 cars. I'm quite sure they wanted to unload the 14s to open allocations for 15's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.