Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Scat pack
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I have today and tomorrow off, decided that I would take my 10 yrs old daughter who loves my SXT just as much if not more than I do to go test drive a couple of the V8 trim packages.

The 2 models they had on the lot at the local dealership were a 2012 R/T, and a 2016 Scat Pack.

Up first the dealer put us in the Scat. 53k miles, white with black hood 6 SPD manual in real nice condition except for a small tear in the passenger seat and a little bit of scrape damage to the underside of the splitter on the passenger side. These things are MONSTERS! Before I even put it in sport mode with the TC off I had the tires talking, mostly because I am hella rusty with a manual. They are asking 36k

Second test, the yellow 2012 R/T with the black Mopar wrap around the rear and trunk lid 82k miles. This one was a little worse for wear, couple decent sized dings in the rear between the wheel well and door frame, the wrap was missing some chunks in spots, there was a scrape on the front bumper on the driver's side like someone tapped the cement around the base of a light pole pulling into a parking space.

Both were fun in their own way, but I have a few concerns with each. For the scat, it's almost too much power and the scrape on the lower side of the splitter makes me wonder what else took damage when they bottomed out. As for the r/t, when I used the remote start outside the car to start it I saw a few notable clouds of white smoke come out the exhaust upon startup.

I'll add a link shortly to the dealership website for each that I test drove, any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated as I am looking to trade up to one of the V8 trims.

R/T Scat

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would continue to look for lower mileage models. 2012 statically is the least reliable year (I had one).
2015 and up get you the 8 speed auto which is a big upgrade if you like autos. I recommend it.
2017 and up 345's get the 2 3/4" active exhaust which is an amazing difference. I have owned 2 345's and am happy with that performance unless speed is all that matters, then go with a 392.
The sweet spot for the 345's IMO is 2017 and up. I bought my 2017 last year with only 2500 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
So I have today and tomorrow off, decided that I would take my 10 yrs old daughter who loves my SXT just as much if not more than I do to go test drive a couple of the v8 trim packages.

The 2 models they had on the lot at the local dealership were a 2012 R/T, and a 2016 scat.

Up first the dealer put us in the Scat. 53k miles, white with black hood 6 SPD manual in real nice condition except for a small tear in the passenger seat and a little bit of scrape damage to the underside of the splitter on the passenger side. These things are MONSTERS! Before I even put it in sport mode with the TC off I had the tires talking, mostly because I am hella rusty with a manual. They are asking 36k

Second test, the yellow 2012 R/T with the black mopar wrap around the rear and trunk lid 82k miles. This one was a little worse for wear, couple decent sized dings in the rear between the wheel well and door frame, the wrap was missing some chunks in spots, there was a scrape on the front bumper on the driver's side like someone tapped the cement around the base of a light pole pulling into a parking space.

Both were fun in their own way, but I have a few concerns with each. For the scat, it's almost too much power and the scrape on the lower side of the splitter makes me wonder what else took damage when they bottomed out. As for the r/t, when I used the remote start outside the car to start it I saw a few notable clouds of white smoke come out the exhaust upon startup.

I'll add a link shortly to the dealership website for each that I test drove, any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated as I am looking to trade up to one of the v8 trims.

R/t Scat
All I can say is I've had my 21' Scat for a couple months now and love it. It's great having all that extra power on tap and I love the "connection" the M6 gives me to the car. The splitters are very low and soft plastic so there is a pretty good chance that unless it's severely damaged no other damage was done. I drug mine slightly the first time I pulled in my driveway and just cleaned up the rough edge with a sanding block. Took 2 minutes and can't tell it ever happened.
The white smoke would concern me more.

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
2016 Scat pack
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would continue to look for lower mileage models. 2012 statically is the least reliable year (I had one).
2015 and up get you the 8 speed auto which is a big upgrade if you like autos. I recommend it.
2017 and up 345's get the 2 3/4" active exhaust which is an amazing difference. I have owned 2 345's and am happy with that performance unless speed is all that matters, then go with a 392.
The sweet spot for the 345's IMO is 2017 and up. I bought my 2017 last year with only 2500 miles on it.
Yeah leaning towards enjoying what I have for a summer and then going big next year currently as prices are insane to boot
All I can say is I've had my 21' Scat for a couple months now and love it. It's great having all that extra power on tap and I love the "connection" the M6 gives me to the car. The splitters are very low and soft plastic so there is a pretty good chance that unless it's severely damaged no other damage was done. I drug mine slightly the first time I pulled in my driveway and just cleaned up the rough edge with a sanding block. Took 2 minutes and can't tell it ever happened.
The white smoke would concern me more.
After getting behind the wheel of one finally, I can see what you mean on the power. I kind of wish I could have started with the R/T first to gradually jump up in power to the Scat. I wasn't ready for it off the bat, but after sitting at home for a few hours I'm almost craving it.

Jury still out, but leaning towards waiting for the bubble to burst and maybe luck up into a killer deal end of season or early next year.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Yeah leaning towards enjoying what I have for a summer and then going big next year currently as prices are insane to boot

After getting behind the wheel of one finally, I can see what you mean on the power. I kind of wish I could have started with the R/T first to gradually jump up in power to the Scat. I wasn't ready for it off the bat, but after sitting at home for a few hours I'm almost craving it.

Jury still out, but leaning towards waiting for the bubble to burst and maybe luck up into a killer deal end of season or early next year.
Not a bad strategy. IMO. The more time you can take to shop, the more likely you are to get a deal. Especially if you are flexible.
And yes, the 392/485HP/475#ft is addicting. ;)

Reactions: Byron

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I’d focus on a 2015 and newer. They did a really nice refresh in ’15 and wouldn’t consider anything older personally. Scrapes on the splitter are a given on many cars. Those damn concrete wheel stops and curbs suck. That’s why many Challenger owners learn to back in to parking spots sooner than later. BTW, too much power does not exist :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2018 TA 392 M6; F8 Green
136 Posts
It’s fun to shop, isn’t it? Seems kinda high for the Scat Pack, I paid less than that for a newer model with much lower mileage - but I know there is a shortage of cars right now. Not the best time to be shopping but if you want one; hey - go for it! And, don’t rule out eBay - that’s is where 2 of mine have originated.
You said you should’ve started with the 5.7 - I agree. Especially after coming from a 6 cylinder. Was your’s the 3.5 or 3.6? If it was the 3.5; maybe you should consider testing the 3.6 - about 50 hp more.
I wouldn’t be overly concerned about the spliter scrape - heck, I have one and I’m super careful! Probably more guys on here had that happened than would care to admit. You could always take it to a professional garage and have it put on a lift - even if it costs you $50 it would be worth it to get a good look.
Anyway, big jump to a 392 from a 6 cylinder. IMO- the 6 speed is much more fun and causes you to become more engaged with the whole driving experience: there is a hill coming up, a stop coming up, do I up shift or down shift or slide it into neutral, etc. I’m convinced driving a manual causes you to become more aware of what is around you at all times. But again - my opinion. Keep us posted and happy hunting!

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
It’s fun to shop, isn’t it? Seems kinda high for the Scat Pack, I paid less than that for a newer model with much lower mileage - but I know there is a shortage of cars right now. Not the best time to be shopping but if you want one; hey - go for it! And, don’t rule out eBay - that’s is where 2 of mine have originated.
You said you should’ve started with the 5.7 - I agree. Especially after coming from a 6 cylinder. Was your’s the 3.5 or 3.6? If it was the 3.5; maybe you should consider testing the 3.6 - about 50 hp more.
I wouldn’t be overly concerned about the spliter scrape - heck, I have one and I’m super careful! Probably more guys on here had that happened than would care to admit. You could always take it to a professional garage and have it put on a lift - even if it costs you $50 it would be worth it to get a good look.
Anyway, big jump to a 392 from a 6 cylinder. IMO- the 6 speed is much more fun and causes you to become more engaged with the whole driving experience: there is a hill coming up, a stop coming up, do I up shift or down shift or slide it into neutral, etc. I’m convinced driving a manual causes you to become more aware of what is around you at all times. But again - my opinion. Keep us posted and happy hunting!
Max, I agree with your post with one exception:
"the 6 speed is much more fun"
I just went from a 6 cylinder to my 392. To me, no comparison but I've always loved HP. I couldn't agree more on the manual though.

·
Registered
2016 Scat pack
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a 2014 3.6, and came from the factory with just about every available option for the model year and trim package to make it as "performance" as a v6 could get you. It's a great car, I love driving it just about any chance I can find a way into the driver's seat.

That being said, it was my original plan to use it as a very lengthy test drive if you will to make sure 100% that I would like driving it since the basic stuff (comfort on both short/long trips, blind spots and learning how to cope with them etc) is relatively the same between the trim packages. Figured I could live with (and trade in for something different if needed) a 15k loss on a car I didn't really like rather than a 40k one IF it wasn't as picturesque a time as I've had in the last 2 months with the v6. But now that I know that I love it, it's time for more power 😎

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also agree the manual is a lot of fun, but the 8 speed auto is nothing like any other auto. Personally, It's the part of my car I like best and I came from 70's muscle cars where manuals were king. But not today. Manuals are for a fun driving experience, automatics are for results. For example, when in SPORT mode with the paddles off, my car automatically downshifts like a manual where a conventual automatic sorta goes into neutral when slowing down. It also upshifts with authority. You should drive both. It depends what your priorities are.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
I also agree the manual is a lot of fun, but the 8 speed auto is nothing like any other auto. Personally, It's the part of my car I like best and I came from 70's muscle cars where manuals were king. But not today. Manuals are for a fun driving experience, automatics are for results. For example, when in SPORT mode with the paddles off, my car automatically downshifts like a manual where a conventual automatic sorta goes into neutral when slowing down. It also upshifts with authority. You should drive both. It depends what your priorities are.
There is no doubt, the A8 is a different animal.

·
Registered
2016 Scat pack
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is no doubt, the A8 is a different animal.
I'll have to find and setup a test drive on an auto then, thanks for the thoughts!

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I have today and tomorrow off, decided that I would take my 10 yrs old daughter who loves my SXT just as much if not more than I do to go test drive a couple of the v8 trim packages.

The 2 models they had on the lot at the local dealership were a 2012 R/T, and a 2016 scat.

Second test, the yellow 2012 R/T with the black mopar wrap around the rear and trunk lid 82k miles. This one was a little worse for wear, couple decent sized dings in the rear between the wheel well and door frame, the wrap was missing some chunks in spots, there was a scrape on the front bumper on the driver's side like someone tapped the cement around the base of a light pole pulling into a parking space.

I'll add a link shortly to the dealership website for each that I test drove, any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated as I am looking to trade up to one of the v8 trims.

R/t Scat
I'd consider that Scat above just about anything at this point. Price point, bang for your buck, look, speed, driving experience and ability to "keep up", Scat Pack is where you want to be. I'd look on Car Gurus as well. It's where I got my first Challenger (I am now on my 4th) with the last three being new. The 1st had like 13K miles and was only a couple of years old. I'd also talk that price down and look for one with an even lower clock. I like white better than the other option but that's of less consequence. Best of luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2016 Scat pack
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found a 2015 scat auto less than 20 miles away, gonna test drive it. 66k miles and asking just over 30k so much more reasonable pricing wise than the white one posted earlier. It "has a story" so I won't be considering it for a purchase and told the dealer that I just wanted to compare the auto to the 6 speed I test drove today and he was more than OK with helping me out with a quick run just to compare the transmissions.

Here's the window sticker for the one I'm test driving tomorrow purely for science:

2015 scat auto

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,927 Posts

Nothing good comes out of test driving a 392.

It's like a "brain worm" embeds itself, and the only thing on the mind is that 392 torque and HP!

Living hell for many folks.

The only cure is a 392. Lol

Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Be patient, a good deal will arise. The 2012 you mentioned had smoke, that's not good. Could be signs of an expensive repair. $36k for a 6 year old car with 53k miles seems steep too.

It took me 3 years of patience. I wasn't aggressively looking for most of that time, but was aware of what I wanted. In the end I got basically my dreamcar at a screaming good price. I love it.

The most important feature, IMO, is the biggest engine you can afford. This car must have a V8 IMO. I love the 392. I don't think I need anything more, and think more would actually be detrimental for me, and my insurance premiums... I think this car is perfect with a 392. If you like manuals, get the M6. If you like autos the A8 is the only real consideration (the A5 was not as good apparently, and the few I drove were disappointing).

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,927 Posts
Be patient, a good deal will arise. The 2012 you mentioned had smoke, that's not good. Could be signs of an expensive repair. $36k for a 6 year old car with 53k miles seems steep too.

It took me 3 years of patience. I wasn't aggressively looking for most of that time, but was aware of what I wanted. In the end I got basically my dreamcar at a screaming good price. I love it.

The most important feature, IMO, is the biggest engine you can afford. This car must have a V8 IMO. I love the 392. I don't think I need anything more, and think more would actually be detrimental for me, and my insurance premiums... I think this car is perfect with a 392. If you like manuals, get the M6. If you like autos the A8 is the only real consideration (the A5 was not as good apparently, and the few I drove were disappointing).
I had my '10 R/TC for 4 1/2 years.

Loved it but never tested out a 392.

When it got flood totalled, I knew that I wanted another Challenger.

I never did test drive a 392. When I finally got my settlement check, I ordered a Scat Pack.

My first time behind the wheels of a 392 was after delivery on the way home.

That's been 5 1/2 years ago, and I haven't quit grinning yet.

392/A8 was the perfect combo for me. Everything that I expected was there in spades.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I had my '10 R/TC for 4 1/2 years.

Loved it but never tested out a 392.

When it got flood totalled, I knew that I wanted another Challenger.

I never did test drive a 392. When I finally got my settlement check, I ordered a Scat Pack.

My first time behind the wheels of a 392 was after delivery on the way home.

That's been 5 1/2 years ago, and I haven't quit grinning yet.

392/A8 was the perfect combo for me. Everything that I expected was there in spades.
Pretty much the same for me. I had a 2017 R/T plus for a bit, but never test drove the 392, until I drove it home from the dealer.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts