Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,418 Posts
OP, a small scrap on the underside of the front spoiler would cause me a 2nd thought and I am ubber picky on my toys.
These cars are long nosed and low..both my cat & scatty were mint in every sense of the word, and both had a scratch or too on the front spoilers. They get road scratches etc by simply going down the road.
Doesnt mean a thing and certaily as a stand alone flaw, is not indicative of an abused car.
As for too much power...it may seem that way at first, in a month of toying around in it, you wont think that at all. In a year, you may well start to think its gotten slower...

·
Registered
2016 Scat pack
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I've seen a couple people who have recommended to go with the a8 trans if at all possible over the a5.

What year did they switch to the a8?

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,714 Posts
Yep, I had a 2006 Charger R/T and a 2015 Charger R/T R&T, both 5.7, but the 2015 would destroy the 2006, partly due to the 10% more power over the years, partly due to the rear end ratio with the Road and Track package, but primarily due to the A5 vs A8.
If I had an older Challenger, I'd probably love it, but if looking for one, I would definitely recommend a 2015+ for the A8 AND the interior changes.
But once I started seeing Scat Pack Chargers, I looked into them, which lead me to Scat Pack Challengers, then SHAKERs...

·
Registered
2019 R/T Plus, Octane Red, Auto
31 Posts
Not sure with 5 previous owners and 3 minor accidents sounds like it had a rough life. even though the picture looks nice. also noticed it was "Vehicle repossessed" Owner #3
Also, it was in the states that use salt on the roads. Michigan is the worse, as I know that for a fact, as I lived there 53 years before moving south. Earlier models had a rust problem in the lower rear quarter panels just in front of the rear wheels. :mad:

do you Live/reside in Michigan?

Myself , I would pass But that's my opinion. :)

·
Registered
2016 Scat pack
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Not sure with 5 previous owners and 3 minor accidents sounds like it had a rough life. even though the picture looks nice. also noticed it was "Vehicle repossessed" Owner #3
Also, it was in the states that use salt on the roads. Michigan is the worse, as I know that for a fact, as I lived there 53 years before moving south. Earlier models had a rust problem in the lower rear quarter panels just in front of the rear wheels. :mad:

View attachment 1022608

do you Live/reside in Michigan?

Myself , I would pass But that's my opinion. :)
Yeah I live in Michigan
I see 3 "minor" accidents on the CarFax report.

Time to look for another car.

Have to add now is the worst time to buy a used car. Used (and new) car prices are seriously up.
Yeah I showed up to test drive it, and decided to not even do that. It was way worse than I thought after looking at owner #5 on the carfax. Rode extremely hard and put away soaking wet. Decided to scope it out before looking inside. Rear tires were shredded to bits, tons of burned rubber all around the wheel well to the point where it melted the plastic trim pieces at the back side of the wheel well.

Had my daughter with me again and decided it wasn't safe enough in my book to put her in it for a test drive.

Gonna keep on looking and wait for the right one to fall into my lap

·
Registered
2016 Scat pack
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Carfax for the white scat I test drove first

1 owner, looks fairly well maintained. Car is from NC, so no Michigan winters hopefully.
The sideswipe is well documented it seems.
Any input? I am thinking about trying to talk them down from the original price because it's higher than I am right now.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Carfax for the white scat I test drove first

1 owner, looks fairly well maintained. Car is from NC, so no Michigan winters hopefully.
The sideswipe is well documented it seems.
Any input? I am thinking about trying to talk them down from the original price because it's higher than I am right now.
As far as the sideswipe, if a trusted body shop signed off on it for me, no problem. The fact that it was not drive-able is kind of a red flag to me. Service history looks solid. I would have a good mechanic look at it too. Then, if everything checks out OK, including the price, I might be a player. It's a 16', which is a plus.

Reactions: Maxedwell

·
Registered
2016 Scat pack
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Alright finally got the wife on board with trading up for the scat. Her only stipulation is that I have to quit smoking cigarettes for a month first and stay done with them after. I got this!

If it's still available when I've shown her I can quit, I'm going to start off by putting the white one I first test drove through inspection both at the body shop my uncle has worked at for 30 years and has an outstanding reputation in the community and my dad's friend who has ran his own repair shop since he was 20 to make sure that everything is 100% on point. If everything checks out, at that point I'm going to see if I can get them to be a little more realistic about the price and see what they will give me for trade in.

Thank you all for letting me bounce thoughts off you and giving advice. It's truly appreciated

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,927 Posts
Alright finally got the wife on board with trading up for the scat. Her only stipulation is that I have to quit smoking cigarettes for a month first and stay done with them after. I got this!

If it's still available when I've shown her I can quit, I'm going to start off by putting the white one I first test drove through inspection both at the body shop my uncle has worked at for 30 years and has an outstanding reputation in the community and my dad's friend who has ran his own repair shop since he was 20 to make sure that everything is 100% on point. If everything checks out, at that point I'm going to see if I can get them to be a little more realistic about the price and see what they will give me for trade in.

Thank you all for letting me bounce thoughts off you and giving advice. It's truly appreciated

Best of luck with both goals.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts

Good luck man. If you are successful with your first goal but the car has been sold, what is plan "B"?

·
Registered
2016 Scat pack
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Good luck man. If you are successful with your first goal but the car has been sold, what is plan "B"?
Down the Rabbit hole of finding one between 30-35 with decent miles that's been well kept and not been completed beat up on. Rules out new, but I know and am totally ok with that going in. Already having a pretty slick SXT makes it easier to be picky and thorough with the search. I'm not worried about the what if's tbh, it'll come no need to force it. As my grandpa used to say "The sun shines on a dogs rear end every now and again"

·
Registered
2018 TA 392 M6; F8 Green
136 Posts
Sounds like you have a diamond of a wife- wants you to be happy with a different car AND wants you to quit smoking. Nice incentive on her part! My father quit by using Nicorette gum and another family member quit by using the vape e-cigs. Good luck!

·
Registered
2016 Scat pack
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Sounds like you have a diamond of a wife- wants you to be happy with a different car AND wants you to quit smoking. Nice incentive on her part! My father quit by using Nicorette gum and another family member quit by using the vape e-cigs. Good luck!
I think it's more she just wants me to shut up about how much fun it was and be able to just go out and go for a cruise instead. Lmao

·
Registered
2016 Scat pack
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Beginning day 4 of quitting cold Turkey. Going way better than I hoped for, the carrot on a stick is working!

Wife said that I can begin the purchase process today slowly because I have had no slip ups and it's going fairly easy. Taking my SXT in for their "valuation" and they will be letting me drive the SP during, so prime time to get her looked at by the mechanic and body shops.

She's gonna trip if everything checks out 100% because I'll most likely be coming home in it 😎🤞

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,114 Posts
You’re working a win-win situation here. You’ll end up with a great ride and upgrade while doing something really beneficial for your health. Just think of the mods you can do with all that cigarette money! Good luck......pulling for you.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts