Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No auto's in the RT so I tested out the 3.6 just to get a feel for the ride. Got some nice pick up and acceleration on the part throttle, didn't go WOT with 145 miles on the tach. I just wanted to get a feel for driving, getting in and out of traffic etc.

I was actually very surprised by how low to the ground the Challenger is to my Charger's (09,12,13) also how much smaller it looks in person. I am used to having to really walk around the Charger just to get to the other side of the car. I love the hips and old school look of the Challenger. There really isn't anything out there like it today. The long brooding hood and retro front end really sets up the tone for the rest of the bruiser.

The interior reminded me very much of my 09 Charger. Spartan like and to the point, nothing fancy, which is fine since it's purpose is to focus outward, not so much as inward and whats around you in the driver seat. Low roof line, and narrow windshield. It felt surprisingly smaller than what I expected. Pretty nimble,... very nimble actually compared to it's beefy brother the Charger. In the Charger it feels literally like a tank, which can and will run anything off the road.
The Challenger reminds me of my 08 Mustang GT, despite weighing 600lbs. heavier.

Speaking of weight, that extra 450lbs. of pork the Charger carries is evident. That 450lb. less in the Challenger makes it feel surprisingly smaller and lighter on it's feet, despite being a V-6.

Not sure if I can ever go back to a two door or even a smaller car now that I have been in the Charger. I am a mechanic by trade and sometimes I like to haul my stuff back and forth if I have to work on something at home or outside of work. I can imagine it getting cramped in the trunk or tiring getting things in and out of the back seat with only two doors.

I love the look and the spirit of the Challenger, but maybe I am just not a Challenger type of guy in terms of living with it. Maybe a Hemi with 3.92 gears would change my mind.. maybe not. Having made the Charger fast and the knowledge to do so, especially with AWD makes me wonder if the trade off (due to winter) is worth it or not.

:scratchhead:

I am gonna order up a Mopar Appearance Package in Black with the 3.92 gears, so I can see it in person before I make a final decision. It looks great on paper and far away, but up close it's actually a much smaller car than I anticipated. I have come to love the monstrosity they now call the Charger.. with it's brooding presence and polarizing good looks, it feels hard to give up. Sounds crazy, I know...

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
Having driven them all and on the track at the SRT Experience, if I were to give up the Challenger for a 4 door I would go to a 300 SRT. However I have a truck to haul tools and equipment so the only thing that gets hauled in the Challenger trunk is guns to the rifle range at times.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having driven them all and on the track at the SRT Experience, if I were to give up the Challenger for a 4 door I would go to a 300 SRT. However I have a truck to haul tools and equipment so the only thing that gets hauled in the Challenger trunk is guns to the rifle range at times.
The 300 still being on an LX platform, it's still a little cramped for my style :D

My 09 Charger RT was a ton of fun to drive. I actually like that one the most out of the Chargers I have owned due to being much lighter (4289 vs 4495) than my 13. Still doesn't hold a candle to the mass of the 13. Feels like a tank in the middle of a snow storm. Something I have to live with very frequently up here in blizzard town.

I had the intent of picking up a Challenger today, stick or auto, didn't matter but after getting a feel for it I have to really think about if it's worth it in my shoes. :indifferent:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did however score a sweet deal on this rare Super Bee.. for some reason I feel a great sense of accomplishment. Ahhh... basking in it's glory as we speak. $18k.. what a sucker lol.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
After owning three 300C SRT8s (2005, 06 and 07), I went to a Challenger, and then back again to a 2012 300 SRT.

I LOVED those first-generation 300Cs, but after driving a Challenger for a year-and-a-half, I couldn't get used anymore to the 5-spd automatic and long wheelbase of the 300...so I went back to a Challenger.

The Challenger feels like a comfortable pair of well worn jeans... :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After owning three 300C SRT8s (2005, 06 and 07), I went to a Challenger, and then back again to a 2012 300 SRT.

I LOVED those first-generation 300Cs, but after driving a Challenger for a year-and-a-half, I couldn't get used anymore to the 5-spd automatic and long wheelbase of the 300...so I went back to a Challenger.

The Challenger feels like a comfortable pair of well worn jeans... :D
I have to reserve my full judgement until I drive a Challenger RT with the Hemi and 3.92 gears.

Not sure what the 2015 Scat pack 392 RT option has to offer, but if it's anywhere near $38k, I'll order one up to specs and drive that one. I weaseled my way into getting a fat discount so it may be a definite possibility.

Nothing against the one I drove, but in the pictures it looked so enormous.. like a mammoth in proportions. In real life, it looked no bigger than a Camry lol. I guess I have to get used to the feel for it. It felt surprisingly small, even for a small framed guy at 5'4, 130lbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts