Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gents....I finally got around to test driving one of these machines. Coming from driving a 140ish HP Subaru Outback...it was incredible. I drove a black RT Classic with an auto trans. The dealer let me go alone (which was nice) and I was out for about 20 minutes. Despite a steady downfall of rain, I felt completely confident. The super track pack really has great steering, handling, and breaking, which made the ride exhilarating. The roar of the HEMI permeating the cabin as I was pushed into my seat was... beautiful. The radar red interior was strikingly handsome, and felt special. It had the garmin nav with sound group II, and the audio quality was very well done....Time for me to get one. I've changed my mind from Jazz Blue, and now I think it'll either be black or white. Don't know which though; same with the trans. Manual vs auto: do I go practical with all the traffic around Atlanta and go with the auto, or go with fun? Decisions decisions... ;)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Congrats! I kinda like that jazz blue color... White is one of my favorite choices. Funny how it doesn't look dirty... not real hard to keep them clean. Those blacks are killer to keep clean though... you'll drive yourself nuts man. LOL They are beautiful though..

Good luck... you go the fever now... LOL

You go with your gut on the tranny choice... do you like to drink a coffee on the way to work... or do you just drive.. Do you want the feeling of driving the car more, or do you wanna hold your wifes/ girlfriends hand? Its those kinda things you wanna ask yourself when getting the tranny. Also, there were some 5.7 auto problems with MDS... So use that as a tool as well.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I, like you, debated over the auto/manual conundrum. In the end, I like my coffee in the morning and if I feel the need to be more involved, I play with the autostick/Flappy paddles and it's close enough:wave:.
Congrats !
Cheers, Lee S.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Black Challengers are Beautiful and I LOVE mine, but they are indeed hard to keep clean ..... Best of luck on what ever you choose! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Congratulations on the test drive.

I decided a long time before buying my Challenger that I wanted the color to be Black. After owning my pitch black R/T for almost a year I concur that it's a labor of Love to keep the car spotless. Still I didn't mind because it's one of my enjoyments in life to be outside waxing the car. I've also meet a lot more of my neighbors as they are taking thier evening stroll and stopping to chat with me and admiring the shinning Pitch Black challenger.

As for auto vs manual I went the 6 speed manual route. I'm retired now so I don't have to fight the stop and go traffic on I-5 every morning and evening. If I was still making the commute from Orange County to Los Angeles I would have gone with the auto. Most of my driving in the R/T is when we go on road trips. I gonna love rowing through the gears as I head eastbound on I-10 enroute to Weatherford TX, my next long road trip.

Have fun with whatever you decide on

Aircav

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Another black auto R/T here. It's a commuter in super-congested LA so I went with the slush box, but there's other practical reasons too. I'm concerned about the MDS and timing chain, but I keep it out of Drive for now and will tune it ASAP which should take care of that. The manual was appealing, but harder to find here and you'll read about other issues anyway.
Now the color? Yeah, it's a bit much to do a good job waxing it, much harder than silver for example. The paint shows everything so I keep rubbing and rubbing... But I'm not that anal once it's done (a little dust isn't the end of the world on a driver) and weekly washes and wipe-downs with auto detailer are enough to keep it nice. And when clean it's really something.
I enjoyed reading about your experience and while more familiar with the style and platform (large V8-powered cars in general and a Charger before that one), I'm also impressed by how easy and safe it is in the rain. Just don't get over-confident. I'd hate to read another one of those posts...

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I, like you, debated over the auto/manual conundrum. In the end, I like my coffee in the morning and if I feel the need to be more involved, I play with the autostick/Flappy paddles and it's close enough:wave:.
Congrats !
Cheers, Lee S.
Yeah, I just don't know about the manual. It's more fun, obviously, but I feel the practicality might bite me in the rear...Georgia is more hilly than you might expect! Hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Black Challengers are Beautiful and I LOVE mine, but they are indeed hard to keep clean ..... Best of luck on what ever you choose! :thumbsup:
Do ya think you can go into detail a little on that? Like, are you driving on clean roads mostly? That's what I have around here, but I'm trying to figure out just how bad it might get. In the end I'd just have to man up and do it of course, hahaha, but I AM curious. ^-^

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another black auto R/T here. It's a commuter in super-congested LA so I went with the slush box, but there's other practical reasons too. I'm concerned about the MDS and timing chain, but I keep it out of Drive for now and will tune it ASAP which should take care of that. The manual was appealing, but harder to find here and you'll read about other issues anyway.
Now the color? Yeah, it's a bit much to do a good job waxing it, much harder than silver for example. The paint shows everything so I keep rubbing and rubbing... But I'm not that anal once it's done (a little dust isn't the end of the world on a driver) and weekly washes and wipe-downs with auto detailer are enough to keep it nice. And when clean it's really something.
I enjoyed reading about your experience and while more familiar with the style and platform (large V8-powered cars in general and a Charger before that one), I'm also impressed by how easy and safe it is in the rain. Just don't get over-confident. I'd hate to read another one of those posts...
See, I won't be doing too much commuting on the freeway and basically no road trips. Most of my driving is two lane roads with lots of stops(another reason an auto might be nice), so I'm of the opinion that I wouldn't have to worry much about the MDS thing.

The problem I have with white cars is that I've seen waaaay too many ones that are yellowed and grimy, but with how bright this white is and because she'll be cleaned every week I think it would be okay...still a little wary ~shrugs~.
Black is just so gorgeous though. I actually like the black RT stripes on it as well: I like how they add depth while avoiding a flashy look. I've seen some black Challengers around here, and every time I see one it looks like some prehistoric beast, hahaha.
What kind of steps do you have to go through to keep her clean? I don't mind a little dust, but I'm trying to get a picture of just how much work it might be!
Thanks for reading, mate! I'm definitely not a risk taker, but thanks for the warning anyways! =)

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Do ya think you can go into detail a little on that? Like, are you driving on clean roads mostly? That's what I have around here, but I'm trying to figure out just how bad it might get. In the end I'd just have to man up and do it of course, hahaha, but I AM curious. ^-^
Not Cuda Cliff, but I drive in the city and on the freeway daily, 60 miles round trip. No dirt roads or anything like that. Black paint acts like a mirror upon which you can see every swirl, scratch or film of dirt. Lighter colors are much more forgiving and silver is the best for low-maintenance.

Now when you wash your car if you don't thoroughly dry it afterwards you'll get water spots. By get, I mean that they'll jump at you. So you're good for a wipe-down everytime (it's not optional), and while you're doing this you'll notice that you have to make pass after pass after pass (gently because the sheet metal is thin!) before no streaks are visible.

I don't wanna scare you, but the first time I waxed it after the purchase I must've spent 4 hours waxing it by hand. Now that I've treated the car and I'm maintaining its looks I'm still stuck with 1-2 hours weekly. You'll need to invest in good microfiber towels, wax, detailer spray, etc. and actually research what people are doing and what products/equipment they use. I could just wipe down silver with a regular rag and be done when now I have to polish the 'mirror'.
If you don't do this your paint will soon look scratched and dull, and that's an ugly look in black (looks very cheap).

It's rewarding and good exercise, though, and I don't think that if you keep your car waxed it has to be perfect after every trip, not a daily driver. And man, does it look good!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
See, I won't be doing too much commuting on the freeway and basically no road trips. Most of my driving is two lane roads with lots of stops(another reason an auto might be nice), so I'm of the opinion that I wouldn't have to worry much about the MDS thing.

The problem I have with white cars is that I've seen waaaay too many ones that are yellowed and grimy, but with how bright this white is and because she'll be cleaned every week I think it would be okay...still a little wary ~shrugs~.
No problem, man. MDS seems to be mostly a problem with cruise on at highway speeds, as you seem to know. I'd still shift mostly manually if I were you, though. You may not think it's cool (I didn't), but once used to it it's really fun and you don't have that constant motion of your left leg. A simple nudge to the right on the stick and you're back in Drive too.

I had a white car and like the look, but that color shows specs of tar a lot on the lower panels and it's another form of slavery to stay on top of that. Lower maintenance than black, but higher than silver or other light colors.

If you don't sweat a little dust or road grime (I don't either - it's real neglect that bugs me) you should be OK with black.
Just expect to stand back when you think you're done and realize that you have to polish out all kinds of streaks and marks that you'd never notice on another color. Fingerprints are very visible too and it's a constant battle to keep people from touching your car.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well gents....I finally got around to test driving one of these
The roar of the HEMI permeating the cabin as I was pushed into my seat was... beautiful.
The radar red interior was strikingly handsome, Decisions decisions... ;)
Loved reading your experience.
Personally, I love black vehicles but got tired of the constant cleaning after 8 years of ownership.

today, I would choose Bright White with the Radar Red interior!

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have white on SRT and black on the 13 Wrangler. The optimal way to avoid water spots on both white and black are spray a high quality detail spray on the car while its still wet. I use Adams and douse the car while wet then dry with large waffle towel and you will never have water spots again.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
87 Posts
The tranny is a definate toss up. If you're going to see allot of traffic, suggest the A5. The M6 gets old in stop/go traffic at 10 MPH. Traffic completely takes the fun out of it. Its so bad out here I won't even bother driving mine on Fridays.

·
Registered
918 Posts
White Will be the easiest to keep clean. That black is going to drive you totally nuts. I had a black car 1 time, and thats all I will EVER own. If it rains... you gotta wash it... and it will show swirls in your paint easier than lighter colors for sure....White is the easiest to maintain out of the 3 you chose. Gooo luck! White can be ea nice color, some decent black red...or maybe blue, silver...purple...whatever color stripes to go on it..and we're talking one hot set-up. There may be white cars everywhere, but white sporty cars are sexy... and you don't see them too much...

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
On the tranny issue you need to drive an auto then a 6 speed. If you drive them back to back you can tell the difference easily. The 6 speed makes that Hemi engine come ALIVE. I have an SE with the auto V6 and was thinking of upgrading to an RT and drove both... OMG the 6 speed makes that engine just come alive.. and that rumble... OH My!

I am waiting on the order banks for TorRed to open up and will be ordering a 6 speed RT Classic... . can't wait!

Black is very hard to keep clean... and if you wax you can see swirls sometimes...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts