Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not expecting a whole lot of gains, but I've been looking around at air filter systems and cold air intakes for my 2016 Scat.

Has anyone done flow tests on an actual flow bench of the stock intake system and element vs any of the others?

Right now I'm thinking the HC box and real HC element and just plug the round hole that would go to the headlight. I'm sure that hole doesn't do anything, but the bottom of the airbox for the HC is shaped better for flow and un-shrouds the edges of the paper filter.

I found the AFE intakes, but I am very doubtful of this dyno run:

https://www.carid.com/images/afe/items/pdf/51-72203-dyno-charts.pdf

Why would an air cleaner have gains across the whole RPM range? The air cleaner, if restrictive, only causes a restriction at higher RPM levels when flow is the greatest.

I have seen a few guys report more MPH at the track with different systems, but there haven't been many that were able to eliminate enough variables to prove anything.

What info is out there?

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
I did data logging with hellcat lower box, hellcat filter vs K&N drop in panel. The K&N drop in air filter panel was a winner at every point.

You can data log the air flow numbers, as numbers go up so does the power. I have track tested factory filters and K&N filters at the track, the trap speeds go up with the K&N filters, data logging is just another way to verify of what's going on.

Anything you can do to streamline the incoming air and take restrictions out, power goes up. Setting aside all the "cold air" effect, just less restrictive filters and making it easier for the air to travel from one point to another helps.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are you getting airflow numbers?

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 6.4 does not use a MAF, only the Hellcat Challenger does as far as I know. So that is not a problem for us.

My wife's 98 Neon R/T had an IceMan intake with K&N filter on it in 2002 when I met her. I think the car had around 60,000 miles at the time. Definitely under 100,000.

It now has 330,000 miles and my step-son is driving it in another state. 2 air filters later and several cleanings, we have not seen any issues caused by the K&N.

The bearings and rings are the same ones it left the factory with. Yes, it uses a little oil, but it still has good compression.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I run the Hellcat lower box, intake tube to the headlight and also a tube from a charger without the silencer, which you do not need, with every change (box and tube first, then the filter and finally tube) I noticed mild changes in exhaust volume so I know it has to flow better (Lower pressure drop across the filter).

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
In all reality, the only gains being made are by the vendors selling CAI systems. You're not going to feel a difference in performance when bolting on an air filter to a 4,000+ pound car. You are buying, at best, an expensive noise maker.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
In all reality, the only gains being made are by the vendors selling CAI systems. You're not going to feel a difference in performance when bolting on an air filter to a 4,000+ pound car. You are buying, at best, an expensive noise maker.
to be fair I added the Scat Pack 1 PCM before I did any mods to the intake.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
CAI's are a waste of money on these cars in terms of performance. Hellcat airbox is where it's at. A buddy of mine tried a Legmaker True CAI and he gained nothing with it at the track and that's supposedly the best one out there. I know a few other guys that tried different setups and gained nothing.

K&N air filters are fine, you just have to be careful not to over oil them. Let them dry thoroughly and let the oil wick into the filter media really well before reinstalling. I used to run one but got tired of messing around with them, so I just run a stock Hellcat paper filter now on the street. At the track I just pull the filter out, no restriction then.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Absolutely spot on.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts

Agreed, but if a person is considering the HC bottom box and headlight air tube, you won't get any "bump" in sound, just a little more cooler air.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
I did data logging with hellcat lower box, hellcat filter vs K&N drop in panel. The K&N drop in air filter panel was a winner at every point.

You can data log the air flow numbers, as numbers go up so does the power. I have track tested factory filters and K&N filters at the track, the trap speeds go up with the K&N filters, data logging is just another way to verify of what's going on.

Anything you can do to streamline the incoming air and take restrictions out, power goes up. Setting aside all the "cold air" effect, just less restrictive filters and making it easier for the air to travel from one point to another helps.

All this testing was done on a "blown" V6 though, not a 392 like the OP is interested in.

Reactions: Jazz Blue Scat

·
Registered
62 Posts
I run the Hellcat lower box, intake tube to the headlight and also a tube from a charger without the silencer, which you do not need, with every change (box and tube first, then the filter and finally tube) I noticed mild changes in exhaust volume so I know it has to flow better (Lower pressure drop across the filter).

Is the tube from a 392 Charger or just any engine size from a Charger? What years fit? I've heard of doing this but never actually talked to anyone that has done it. Any info is appreciated. If you have a link or a part number that could be a help. Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
All this testing was done on a "blown" V6 though, not a 392 like the OP is interested in.
Air filters have no idea what they are powering, whether they are 4 cylinders, 6 or 8, the same principles apply and not all testing was done a a "blown" v6, testing was also done when it was naturally aspirated. Any time you can remove restrictions and stream line the incoming air, you will make more power.

And if your still stuck on the idea it's a blown v6 and this doesn't apply to a 392, then think of it as air = hp, I'm making somewhere around the 475 to 500 hp gross mark, what is the 392 making gross?

Well the filters are doing about the same amount of work, because they both have to pass similar air to make the hp.

So is there still an issue? I think not.

look at from my point of view when my car was just naturally aspirated I found an increase in trap speed from a stock filter to a k&n panel filter, the v6 and the hemi took the same filter and if I can track a difference in increased air flow from a messily v6 with a whopping 305 gross hp, I would think those of you with a much powerful hemi would see some increases as well as the demand for air is higher in the hemi's.

I'm just passing on my finding's.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Is the tube from a 392 Charger or just any engine size from a Charger? What years fit? I've heard of doing this but never actually talked to anyone that has done it. Any info is appreciated. If you have a link or a part number that could be a help. Thanks!
The tube on the charger that does from the throttle body to the intake filter box does not have a silencer. (5.7l) your 392 is different and does not have one. If you get the Hellcat lower filter box, there is a tube that goes to the parking light and the center of the parking light pops out. This is all you need.... Fits '15 and up. I put this and the Charger intake tube on my 5.7l. There are plenty of threads on this here.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
Air filters have no idea what they are powering, whether they are 4 cylinders, 6 or 8, the same principles apply and not all testing was done a a "blown" v6, testing was also done when it was naturally aspirated. Any time you can remove restrictions and stream line the incoming air, you will make more power.

And if your still stuck on the idea it's a blown v6 and this doesn't apply to a 392, then think of it as air = hp, I'm making somewhere around the 475 to 500 hp gross mark, what is the 392 making gross?

Well the filters are doing about the same amount of work, because they both have to pass similar air to make the hp.

So is there still an issue? I think not.

look at from my point of view when my car was just naturally aspirated I found an increase in trap speed from a stock filter to a k&n panel filter, the v6 and the hemi took the same filter and if I can track a difference in increased air flow from a messily v6 with a whopping 305 gross hp, I would think those of you with a much powerful hemi would see some increases as well as the demand for air is higher in the hemi's.

I'm just passing on my finding's.

I'm not "stuck" on anything, and it's great that you experimented and logged results on your engine.

I think that we can agree that a 6.2HC motor, makes more HP, and needs more air. The OEM HC filter is factory rated as having more flow, and less "drop" than the standard OEM 392 filter.

So, the HC filter flows more air, but when installed on a street driven 392, doesn't really "show" more performance. I haven't logged the difference, but for the street, they appear to have the same performance. At least mine does.

If the HC filter doesn't make a difference for a street driven 392, then I have a very hard time believing that a K&N unit will.........again, for street use.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The tube on the charger that does from the throttle body to the intake filter box does not have a silencer. (5.7l) your 392 is different and does not have one. If you get the Hellcat lower filter box, there is a tube that goes to the parking light and the center of the parking light pops out. This is all you need.... Fits '15 and up. I put this and the Charger intake tube on my 5.7l. There are plenty of threads on this here.

That is the Hellcat lower. I already have that with the tube that goes in the headlight. I was talking about the tube that goes from the throttle body to the airbox.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
If you want more performance at the track just pull the air filter completely, zero restriction then.

On the street I don't think you'll feel much difference between a paper filter and K&N filter. I did see better MPG's with the K&N filter though when I ran one, maybe 1-2mpg better on average. That also means it's filtering less.

I have never seen, heard, or known anyone who had an engine failure due to a K&N filter letting in more dirt into their engine, I think the difference is negligible.

Run what you think is best, it's splitting hairs at best on the street.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
If you want more performance at the track just pull the air filter completely, zero restriction then.

On the street I don't think you'll feel much difference between a paper filter and K&N filter. I did see better MPG's with the K&N filter though when I ran one, maybe 1-2mpg better on average. That also means it's filtering less.

I have never seen, heard, or known anyone who had an engine failure due to a K&N filter letting in more dirt into their engine, I think the difference is negligible.

Run what you think is best, it's splitting hairs at best on the street.

After installing the HC filter bottom box, air tube, and the HC filter, I really could not feel any performance improvement. I didn't expect anything other than lower air intake temps, and it does do that. This set up does not produce more induction noise, so if someone is looking for that, they will be disappointed.

During the heat of the Summer months, the drivability seems to be a little better than stock, and I would guess that this is due to more ambient air getting to the engine.

If I gained any 10ths, I sure can't tell, but again, I did this fo air intake temp reduction, and it does deliver this, so it was worth it to me.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts