Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
March 21-23

Well, after a few years I decided it was time to check this event out and see what it is all about. Some say you won't forget it and definitely makes a valid entry on the "bucket list".

I had no idea that registration for the event sells out so dang fast until a few weeks ago when I contacted the person who does the tech inspections (used to race in the same series as him).

They weren't kidding!! Registration opened and 30min later the list had 198 entries (200 is the cut-off) and they might have a couple reserved spots.

Got my spot!!!!

Here's a list of some of the Dodge/Jeep entries:

Street Legal Red 2010 Dodge Challenger - 2-door R/T Coupe V8, HEMI

Street Legal Purple 2007 Dodge Charger - SRT8 Sedan 4D

Street Legal Black 2009 Dodge Challenger - R/T Coupe 2D

Street Legal Black 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - SRT8 Sport Utility 4D

Street Legal Orange 2009 Dodge Challenger - SRT8 Coupe 2D

Street Legal Black 2013 Dodge Challenger

Street Legal Red 2009 Dodge Challenger - SRT8 Coupe 2D

Street Legal Black 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Street Legal Blue 2009 Dodge Challenger - R/T Coupe 2D

Street Legal Red 2010 Dodge Challenger - 2-door SRT8 Coupe V8, HEMI

Hope to take some really good video and pics from the event. I also hope to see the speed record broken as well!! No, not by me!! I'm predicting (very optimistically) 170-175mph for my ride.

I know there's a list on the boards with the results from other events - just posting this one since it will be my first time there and plan on documenting it.

:)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Recently on the TV show "Top Gear" they ran a Challenger at the Bonneville Salt Flats (mile). After a few runs an experienced flats person told them that they would go faster if they taped out the entire grille. They did...and they did. SRT8/auto - I think it did 150.
They used the blue 3M painters tape. Applied the tape vertically from the hood area of the fascia to the bumper area. They then ran it horizontally for the full width of the grille wrapping around the sides. You may want to get some extra tape for the quarter panels, the "mile" is known for debris that can wreck havoc
on unprotected body areas. Good luck...Go Pro Charger! Please post your speed.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Recently on the TV show "Top Gear" they ran a Challenger at the Bonneville Salt Flats (mile). After a few runs an experienced flats person told them that they would go faster if they taped out the entire grille. They did...and they did. SRT8/auto - I think it did 150.
They used the blue 3M painters tape. Applied the tape vertically from the hood area of the fascia to the bumper area. They then ran it horizontally for the full width of the grille wrapping around the sides. You may want to get some extra tape for the quarter panels, the "mile" is known for debris that can wreck havoc
on unprotected body areas. Good luck...Go Pro Charger! Please post your speed.
Really great information to go on!! Thank you!!

Would be nice to take the front clip off and vacuum form it with hard plastic to cover the front area while allowing just enough air to get to the intercooler. :D

However... back to reality - l need to invest in some 3M Painters tape and see if they make something similar in "red".

Hope to post a great video capturing several runs.. inside and outside the car.

I'm stoked!!! :clap:

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm happy you found it useful! 3M makes red duct tape, but the adhesive residue will be a job to remove. It may also "bake" on in the Texas sun and bring some paint with it when you remove. The 3M Blue Painters tape is made to hold well, but remove easily (no lifted paint). You could "top" the painters tape with the red duct tape... The lower grille (remains open) should be enough for the intercooler, not optimum, but enough considering the aerodynamic gain with grille tape out. If you do use both tapes, a 1" horizontal opening reenforced with the red tape for just the width of the intercooler would be what I would do. Of course the vacuum formed insert would be very cool, and could be a small niche market "cottage industry" for drag Challengers also. I'll be your first customer!

One other thing I remembered after my original post...they turned the outside mirrors in.
I'm going to speculate on your speed...160 MPH. HAVE FUN!!!

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Team Spankin Time....

I think this series of videos should give an idea what to expect!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The record holder at 205.7 mph had most of his front end taped. Routine on Nascar super speedways to tape most of the grill area. Only allow enough air to keep from over heating.

Reactions: 3 peddles

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be down there this Friday around noon. If you see me, say "hi". I will be walking around the paddock checking out the really fast rides as well. Hopefully the weather will stay nice enough to get some runs in on Saturday.

New Brembo brake pads - check
Tires rotated and balanced - check
Texas Mile Tune Rdy - check
Car waxed - check
DSLR Camera with new 64GB SD card and charged - check
Hi-def video cam charged - check
Camera mount mounted - check
Nerves - ........ TBD

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm glad you made the list! Been waiting since January when you first said you were going to do this. I'm excited sitting in Florida!
Just a few more things to keep your mind occupied, chances are you thought of them, but anyway;
1. clean your ProCharger filter
2. clean catch can
3. check tire pressure (some run a little higher than normal-check with the veterans)
4. remember to turn outside mirrors in
5. keep hood open as you move up the line to the start (taped off grill)
6. turn off A/C
7. leave traction control on
8. ***back off gas gradually after the mile.***
9. lift hood when you get to pits.
10. let engine run for a few minutes
11. HAVE A BLAST !!!
Can't wait for the vid!!! Get home safe.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm glad you made the list! Been waiting since January when you first said you were going to do this. I'm excited sitting in Florida!
Just a few more things to keep your mind occupied, chances are you thought of them, but anyway;
1. clean your ProCharger filter
2. clean catch can
3. check tire pressure (some run a little higher than normal-check with the veterans)
4. remember to turn outside mirrors in
5. keep hood open as you move up the line to the start (taped off grill)
6. turn off A/C
7. leave traction control on
8. ***back off gas gradually after the mile.***
9. lift hood when you get to pits.
10. let engine run for a few minutes
11. HAVE A BLAST !!!
Can't wait for the vid!!! Get home safe.

Nice!! Thank you for the info!!

Been doing some research on tire pressures. What I've found is to run them +7.5psi all the way around. Plan is to take tire pressure readings before and immediately after the run.

Ok, I didn't know our mirrors actually turned in. :worried:

Even though I have a NASA competition racing license, I'm still going to shoot for 150mph on the first pass and not go 10/10ths.

Hopefully I can do the video justice (meaning - get a lot of really great footage).

....stay tuned

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
A drag box may also be something to consider. What that is, is a harness that you connect to a spare car battery. You get two terminals (pos and neg) and then you wire them to the receiving end of the harness that connects into your cooling fan. At a stop, shut the motor off and disconnect the cooling fan from the harness. Hook up the spare battery into the harness using clip you connected to the terminals and this will cause your cooling fan to stay running while the car is turned off and chill your radiator down. Also, a dyno fan is a good idea. I know that a certain Mr Sam who is the 205 record holder, had crazy high intake temps at the mile when he had a blower so the fan would be a good idea to blow cold air over the motor while it sits still.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great idea!! Wish I had the time now before the event to get one configured.

I used to take two big bags of ice and triple bag them in heavy plastic bags (to avoid leakage) and set them on my intake and SC piping to keep things cooled before another run down the 1/4 mile.

Not sure if that will be possible, but once I can get an idea of what the temps looks like, might have to improvise something.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Blog mode (on):

Car prepped and ready to go.

Air filter in dire need of cleaning.

Before pic (yeah, I know.. neglect!)

After pic:

Fire extinguisher installed.

Home made bracket for camera and now FE.

I'm sure it won't stay clean long:

Time to chill shots:

Will post more from the event.

·
Registered
675 Posts
FILTER - CHECK!
REALLY LIKED THE CAR WAXED! SMOOOTH AIR FLOW!
Weight - fuel...no more than 1/2 tank ('s) if possible - gasoline 6.3 lbs. per gallon
Don't know what you have to do (if anything), but turn on whatever records top speed on dash for SRT. You said you were "only" going for 150 on the first run...which is very professional, and understood. I would say...your there, your ready,...cut that big Procharged Hemi loose and see what she's got...right out of the gate!
I am upping my original estimate to 172.5 I don't know why, other than i'm stoked!

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Remember this:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Some teaser pics so far. Have tons more and lots of video!

Can officially scratch this one off the bucket list.

141.4 = 1/2 mile speed

Head wind was horrible all day. Time to tape up the front and get some aero going!!!

...more in a bit

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Motor blown....... More later. What a freakin ordeal.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All part of it. You play..sometimes you pay. Finally got it back home around 2 AM. Took a cab from Beeville to Victoria (supposed to be 55 miles, but we drove 80). Cab drive got lost and we made it to U-haul with five minutes to spare. Paid the triple digit fare. U-haul then claims they don't have any car haulers even though I reserved one hours before. So, they screwed some guy out of his for the following day. Back to Beeville (55 miles) to get the car. Now for the five hour trek to the house.

Now it's raining and the car is still on the trailer. Not to mention my driveway is uphill to the garage.

Going to create another post to see what my options are for those that have experienced the same thing or have rebuilt their short block.

BTW - ran 168mph on the last and final pass.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts