Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Initially this forum has been a source of new ideas about upgrading my new car, but this week it might have actually saved a life. I recently bought a 2014 Challenger R/T Redline Edition with the Sport Track Pack. This is my first pony car after years of driving 4x4s. I have a lot to learn - again this forum has been a great resource - about 21st Century muscle cars. I live in Indiana. It has been in the single digits at times this week along with inches of snow and some ice. I commute 40 back road and highway miles each day to work. Earlier this week the EVIC tire pressure warning went off after sitting all day in an open parking garage at work. The sensor was telling me that my Eagle F1 245/45-R20s had less than 20 lbs of pressure in all four tires. Of course I only see the warning as I am pulling onto the highway to commute home. As quick as I could, I found a service station and added air. Long story short, after this happened again the next day, I came to this site to see if anyone has had similar tire pressure issues with their F1s. Big surprise time! Turns out that the Eagle F1s that came with my STP upgrade (which cost me an additional $595.00 at the dealer) are Summer only tires. Goodyear actually states in their information that these tires shouldn't be driven in below freezing temps much less snow and ice. Of course no one at the dealer when I was buying the car told me this even after expressing concerns about buying such a powerful, rear wheel drive car in a region with hard winters. All that I was told by the sales and service folks was that the Challenger has great weight distribution. Anyways, I just paid $800+ to have four Nitto NT850+ 255/45-R20s put on (not at the dealer). Not sure what - if any - recourse I have with the dealer who sold me these death tires. BTW, anyone in the market for four gently used (~1200 miles) Eagle F1 245/45R20s?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
I'm glad you figured out the situation and solved your problem but the F1s are not death tires they are 3 season or also called summer tires. Your window sticker for the car should list them as 3 season tires - at least my 09 SRT did.

Are the tires all the same size? My SRT F1s are different size, front and rear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad you figured out the situation and solved your problem but the F1s are not death tires they are 3 season or also called summer tires. Are the tires all the same size?
"Death" tires might have been a bit much but after riding on those deflated tires at highways speeds in 1 degree weather, I was thankful to make it home. Yes, all four F1s are the same size - 245/45-20s.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1,931 Posts
You are going to find your new tires lose pressure the colder it gets and gain pressure the warmer it gets...same as the F-1s.....It isnt the tire causing your problem its the air temp....cold air contracts and hot air expands..

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I'm glad you figured out the situation and solved your problem but the F1s are not death tires they are 3 season or also called summer tires. Your window sticker for the car should list them as 3 season tires - at least my 09 SRT did.

Are the tires all the same size? My SRT F1s are different size, front and rear.
OP has an R/T and those don't have a staggered tire option like the SRT8, they just get the F1s as part of STP.

You are going to find your new tires lose pressure the colder it gets and gain pressure the warmer it gets...same as the F-1s.....It isnt the tire causing your problem its the air temp....cold air contracts and hot air expands..
Based on what he said, I don't think he was complaining about the low tire pressure. That was just what brought him here initially, THEN he discovered that they're not meant for near- or below-freezing temps and bought some tires are better suited to his climate. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts