Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a good way! Here's my test drive experience.

Here are the specs: 2011 392 automatic Billet Metallic with black stripes, every option except Mopar Appearance Group.

As soon as I started the car, I could tell there was something very powerful under the hood. My R/T sounds awesome when it starts, but the 392 sounds downright nasty. You can actually feel the slight twist of the engine through the car when it fires up. I put the car in drive, pulled out of the lot, and could immediately feel how tight and buttoned down it was. The 2011 392's chassis enhancements makes you feel like you are piloting a much smaller car now than ever before. The lack of feedback through the must improved steering wheel is all but gone. The Brembos do an excellent job of stopping this 4200 rocket, much better brakes than my R/T's. I accelerated quickly only once and brought the RPMs just shy of 5,000 RPM. I also hit passing gear a couple of times. The saleman was with me, so I took it easy. The torque is everywhere on this car and arrived at a much lower RPM than the peakier 6.1L I drove a few months ago. Well, I have decided to definitely take the plunge from my R/T to the 392, and this test drive has made up my mind. I am going to wait and probably order a 2012 in Black with silver stripes. This car will be sinister in non metallic black.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Do it...you wont regret it :)

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Great write up. Do yourself a favor and send BPAG on this forum a PM, Lee will get you exactly what you want.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Bob Fredrick has plenty in stock drop him a line!

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Totally worth the coin!

Do it...you wont regret it :)
I couldn't agree more!

Great write-up! I went from a 2010 SRT8 to a 2011 392 because there was a substantial difference in all the same areas you wrote about. Glad I did! I will also say that I have been pleasantly surprised in the fuel economy of the 392 as well, but that was not a factor in my decision process; that was dominated by my need for speed and performance!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spoke to Lee at Baxter. He sounds like a great guy. I am working with a local dealer currently that is actually doing a little better than he was able to do. I could have been more descriptive in my writeup about some other things I noticed but my posts are already long winded as is :). The leather seems to be of a higher quality this year than last. I also like the new door handles with the smart key feature. I sometimes grab mine, and my hand slips off them. Overall, the tweaks they did to the 2011 are a big step in the right direction and enought to make me want one even more now.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, dealer called and told me they have a black 2011 392 stripe delete in their automotive group that they can do an even swap for with the Billet one. It has every option, except the summer tires, which I don't want anyway. I can get it for $1,000 under invoice. Sounds tempting. 2012 is non metallic black with paddle shifters. 2011 is metallic black without paddle shifters and would be about $1,000 less. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
sounds good, gotta get me one.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I couldn't agree more!

Great write-up! I went from a 2010 SRT8 to a 2011 392 because there was a substantial difference in all the same areas you wrote about. Glad I did! I will also say that I have been pleasantly surprised in the fuel economy of the 392 as well, but that was not a factor in my decision process; that was dominated by my need for speed and performance!:thumbsup:
Is yours a daily driver? I am curious on the real world mileage with the auto. My R/T Classic 6 speed gets about 18mpg with the type of driving I do, suburban mostly.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well, it looks like they actually want $600 over invoice for the black one, so I have to call them and ask why the car is $2,000 more than the Billet one but the sticker is only $500 more. They came in at just over $900.00 off the invoice for the Billet one, which was a good deal I thought. It's too bad I don't want that color. I will most likely hold out for 2012 since they will be out in a couple of months anyway. Plus, I can order one for less than these loaded ones are going to cost. I can think of $3,000 in options I don't need already: sunroof, NAV, and Mopar Appearance Group.

·
Banned
811 Posts
Well, it looks like they actually want $600 over invoice for the black one, so I have to call them and ask why the car is $2,000 more than the Billet one but the sticker is only $500 more. They came in at just over $900.00 off the invoice for the Billet one, which was a good deal I thought. It's too bad I don't want that color. I will most likely hold out for 2012 since they will be out in a couple of months anyway. Plus, I can order one for less than these loaded ones are going to cost. I can think of $3,000 in options I don't need already: sunroof, NAV, and Mopar Appearance Group.
Message member BPAG on this forum regarding ordering a 2012.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, boys after a futile attempt to satisfy my SRT desire, I am back to this car. I came very close to buying a 2010 SRT B5 Blue last week, but the car has since sold to someone else. The price was not where I thought it should be, so I held out. But I I didn't LOSE out. It was an omen for me to be patient and wait for a 392. That is what I am going to do. Black, Redline, or maybe GWE. I will most likely get a 2011 when they discount them as the 2012s come in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just curious as to the ride quality of the 2011 -vs- a 2008. I test drove a 2008 and absolutely love the ride (firm but smooth). I am definitely getting a 2012 when they come out, however, I have not driven a 392 yet. Just wondering how the ride compares. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The ride is a little firmer than the 2010 but not jarring by any means. The 2010s have more play in the steering wheel and less feedback. The 392 drives more like as Motortrend said "an oversized sports car." It is more tossable than the 6.1L. The braking is basically the same. The power delivery is MUCH different and better. The 392 has torque EVERYWHERE, whereas the 6.1L comes really alive in the upper RPMs. I would only consider a 2010 if you are dead set on color selection. Otherwise, get the 392. It is the better car, and the deals on 2011s will soon come as the 2012s arrive.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,888 Posts
To the OP, I tried to say pretty much the same thing in another thread, but many people took it the wrong way. http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...-theres-no-comparison-between-r-t-srt8-61165/

There are manuevers I do in my SRT, such as accelerating through quick turns or passing a line of cars in short distances, I wouldn't dare attempt in my Classic. When I really get on it hard, the 392 has so much torque, I can feel the car flex in response when shifting gears! The other models can certainly be upgraded in performance but I like the fact that the 392 is up to the task as is.
If another desireable high impact color 392 becomes available, and I'm not going to take to much of a beating on my R/T, I'd trade in my Classic in a heartbeat.:smokin:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I have tracked down five black 392s not too far from me. Stickers are between 48-49K. I might end up ordering a 2012 the way I want. It would probably end up costing around the same as the soon to be discounted 2011s since I would not LOAD it up. We'll see...

·
Registered
131 Posts
2011 or 2012... Decisions...

I hear ya on the decision making... Hard in deciding if you might want to stall for the custom ordered 2012 car or if it is worth it to find a reasonable 392 on the sales lot.

I certainly wish you the best of luck. I saw a toxic orange 392 last week and I must say that color is very nice to see in the sunlight. Billet a bit much of a bland color for a 392 SRT8 in my opinion; kind of reminds me of a Mercedes or BMW.

My first choice of Challenger for when I earn the privilege of choosing would be a 2011 R/T Redline. The front end really makes a difference in my opinion. I've been in a 392 manual (mom's car) and I think the 6-speed Tremec really performes well in providing ample amounts of torque throughout the entire RPM curve similar to the automatic.

In my conclusion... the 392 hemi is a very well designed push-rod V-8 that delivers great performance with either manual or automatic.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree. Even with the auto, the 392 is still awesome. I have decided though I am choosing color over substance as I am going to look at Monday and probably buy a loaded with every option 6 speed 2010 Detonator Yellow SRT-8 leftover where I originally bought my car from for around $9,300 off sticker. I like the changes to the 2011, and it is definitely an improvement over the 2010. I just like the colors better in 2010 and the overall look of the car better (black spoiler,hood striping only). Just going from a R/T to old SRT is enough for me, especially considering the deal I can get on one. My main issue with the R/T is the handling and braking, which any SRT cures. I also love the look of the 6.1L engine bay, so retro and mean. No hard, uninspiring plastic engine covers like the 5.7 or 6.4. The 392 is better, but all I am looking for is a bit more power, better handling, and better braking. The 2010 SRT fits the bill just fine, especially when I am getting one for less than my R/T stickered for.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Interesting! I've been in a test drive with a 6.1L SRT8 and the acceleration is incredible. It will be a bit of time before I shop around... so I could maybe end up also going for an older model with better performance compared to the 2011 R/T. Detonator yellow should grab some attention! :-D

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts