Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I would like to introduce myself to your forum...I'm a 30 year old guy from Philly who is in the market for a new car so I like to join the forums specific to the car choices I am interested in, to get a better understanding of each from owners.

I have been doing my research and saving for the past 2 years and to be honest I never added the Challenger to my list because IMO the power to weight ratio for the cost didn't work for me. But the 2011 has changed everything!

To give you an idea of my taste here is my list in order of want:
1) 2011 Challenger SRT8 392 (Non IE)
2) 2011 Camaro 2ss/rs (with ground kit)
3) 2011 370Z NISMO
4) 2011 Mustang GT 5.0
5) 2011 EVO MR (manual tranny is a must for me)

Color-Black
Budget-45K Max.. Anything above that it would have to be the Camaro ZL1 , 45 is stretching my budget.

Personally I think the Challenger is the sexiest of them all and obviously most of you would agree. Prior to the 2011 I felt that stretching my budget for the SRT8 was not worth it for the fact that I could get a faster car for much cheaper. Lets just say I was very happy to see the changes to the 2011!

Going with the SRT8 is still a stretch for me budget wise as the other cars I have listed are in the 38-40k range (after options). Based on the markups I've seen on the Challenger I am assuming if I go for a non IE 2011 when the 2012 models come out at the end of the year or so I can get one for 45 after tax tags title with no extra options added (nav etc.)...with a good negotiation.

I really like the new ZL1 Camaro but the reality of that is about 52K est when it actually comes out and they markup the crap out of it.

Now with the 2011 changes I feel the higher price compared to the competitors is warranted. And if I am already shelling out lets say 39K why not get the better car for 4K-5K more, right? Its worth it, right guys?

To be honest, and I'm sure some of you can relate...I'm 30 now and the 2001 Honda Prelude just ain't cutting it anymore. Its time for me to buy myself something nice and more "adultish". After driving a "rev happy" 4 cyl for the past 10 years I vowed I would save up for a beast. The lude is a fun little car but its age is catching up and most regular cars "sedans" these days are catching up in the power department and that is unacceptable to me.

Any advice, feedback, personal stories and reasons why you chose the Challenger is welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my story!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Welcome! Hopefully you will be able to keep the Honda for winters like this one! You don't want a beautiful black 392 out in the salt and ice. You should be able to get one under 45K.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Welcome aboard! If you wait until the 2012 Challengers are out, you should be able to get a Challenger SRT8 for a decent price. Some dealers have Challenger SRTs listed for $10K below MSRP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys..I'm assuming some dealers have the 2010 SRT8's way below MSRP now due to the pretty significant changes to the 2011 models. My assumption is that the price diff between a 2012 and 2011 wont be quite as much as the 2011 to 2010 as I don't expect many changes to the 2012. Even so I'm hoping I can get one (2011) a little under 45K.

Does anyone know when Dodge usually switches the model year? I'm assuming it is Fall as that was the time of the 2010-2011 change. I'm looking to purchase around that time and would even wait if the switch happens later.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
The 2011 MY change was late this year. The plant didn't switch over to manufacturing the 2011 Challengers until 29 November 2010. Nothing has been announced for the 2012 MY.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks guys..I'm assuming some dealers have the 2010 SRT8's way below MSRP now due to the pretty significant changes to the 2011 models. My assumption is that the price diff between a 2012 and 2011 wont be quite as much as the 2011 to 2010 as I don't expect many changes to the 2012. Even so I'm hoping I can get one (2011) a little under 45K.

Does anyone know when Dodge usually switches the model year? I'm assuming it is Fall as that was the time of the 2010-2011 change. I'm looking to purchase around that time and would even wait if the switch happens later.
From what I have heard the 2012 will be starting production around August, but I am not 100% on that. (the 2011 started production in December) Some dealers will give you excellent pricing on cars. I know that a dealer near my house offered a forum member who was ordering from them 750 over invoice. So Find a good sales dealership near you. The challenger still are not flying of the shelves like the camaro or mustang so dealers are still willing to negotiate especially if it is a non-IE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks great american..I'm not in a hurry to purchase as I have had this date on my countdown for almost 2 years now and want to wait out for a good deal. I am however going to take a test drive this summer to get a taste.

skialfs...unfortunately I am going to sell the honda but I have a SUV that is the family 3rd car..I can use that on crappy days.

On another note...one main function of the Challenger I like is the amount of interior space. I have a 9 month old and being able to take her out for rides and car shows is something I am considering. Seems to me you can't beat the amount of room.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here's a SRTIE392 in Ca that's still in transit and they've already knocked near$5k off it.

http://www.dodge.com/hostc/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=2B3CJ7DJ0BH526585

It's perfect except for that dam auto-stick. MSRP*$48,260 Discount-$4,704 Adjusted Price$43,556

Jeep Chrysler Dodge of Ontario 1202 Auto Center Dr Ontario, CA 91761

Built in Ontario, CA being shipped 2500+ miles to Ontario, CA and got cheaper along the way.:notallthere:

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
I would like to say welcome to the best Challenger Forum. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM any of the Admin/Moderators.

Also, please be sure to read General Forum Rules - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Thanks for joining our forum, please enjoy and we look forward to your participation. :bigthumb:

Welcome and good luck with your search the cars are very safe and family orientated so it would be a good choice :)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
There have been reports from members recommending using http://truecar.com. I've played with their site, and the claim is that you can get deals around and sometimes below invoice on new 2011 models.

I haven't submitted my info to start any transactions yet, so i can't verify--but it looks to be a reasonable starting point. If it works out, you could be looking at around $42-43k for a new 2011 392.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Lude,

Congrats on beginning the transformation into a Mopar man...

About any SRT8 (I own a 2007 Charger SRT8): they're not just fast cars. They have luxury aspects to them and they handle well (especially the '11 and '12 models) for their size. This current generation of Mopars are the epitomy of modern muscle. Muscle cars are not pony cars, per se. The Camaro and Mustang are pony cars. Small coupes with alot of power, small trunks and even smaller rear seats. The modern Mopars are big and have tons of space... quite similar to the original muscle cars of the '60s and 70's... yet, they're competitive on the track (usually, driver skill is the deciding factor) and simply obliterate the competition in room, comfort, utility and shear good looks (last example is obviously subjective).

The SRT8's are all around, all purpose performance vehicles that pull double duty as touring cars.

If you're to own ONE car and want exceptional performance and utility, the SRT8 lineup is in a class all their own... especially in the sub-$60,000 range. What other vehicle can do "everything" like an SRT8 vehicle for less than $50,000? Answer: None.

If you want to best an SRT8 in overall performance and usefulness/comfort, you're looking into BMW M series territory now... and that's gonna run you around $60K.

The Camaro and Mustang are great cars, for what their intended purpose is (performance, price... but the trade off is they are small and not ideal for long trips, storage capacity, comfort, etc.). You may not have kids, but as a Dad, I can load up the family, all the stuff needed for an outing, ride comfortably and still take off ramps at speed with ease and roast the tires at will... and I have the "old" 6.1 liter.

Now that the 392 is documented as pulling 12.44 quarter miles, this significantly improves the basis upon which I have made the aforementioned claims... let alone the new and improved suspensions being used by Dodge for the current and future model years.

Will American muscle ever be as refined or handle like a BMW? Probably not, but these SRT8's sure as heck are standouts in the muscle car class.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Great Summary

OMOM - great summary! Could not have said it better myself. These cars are the modern-day GTX of the late '60's - fast and loaded. My teenagers don't mind the comfort, room, sound, and attention; squeezing them into a previous Big Three (gosh, does anyone use that tag anymore?) GT convertible was akin to mutiny, but now they don't mind relaxing in the back. Popping a child in and out of a carseat in any 2 door is a challenge; at least you shouldn't have to contort yourself quite as much with a Challenger.

Have fun shopping, Ludeakriss777 - you are heading down the right path! Zeb

·
Registered
94 Posts
"I really like the new ZL1 Camaro but the reality of that is about 52K est when it actually comes out and they markup the crap out of it"

i was really interested in one of these too untill i saw the fine print , at the very end of the SLP brochure it states

"2011 ZL1 CONTENT MSRP $80,000 plus cost of a new 1SS or 2SS with manual transmission"

im not really sure what a "1SS or 2SS" but it sounds like $45 or $55k to me. $125k for a camaro even if they only make 69 of em is out to lunch IMO

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
"I really like the new ZL1 Camaro but the reality of that is about 52K est when it actually comes out and they markup the crap out of it"

i was really interested in one of these too untill i saw the fine print , at the very end of the SLP brochure it states

"2011 ZL1 CONTENT MSRP $80,000 plus cost of a new 1SS or 2SS with manual transmission"

im not really sure what a "1SS or 2SS" but it sounds like $45 or $55k to me. $125k for a camaro even if they only make 69 of em is out to lunch IMO
1SS or 2SS are trim levels for the Camaro, 2SS being the current top-of-the-line at around $40-45k. That statement sounds like you buy the "base" vehicle (being a 1SS or 2SS), and *then* add on top of that $80k to make it into a ZL1. Similar to the Hurst Challenger packages, where you first buy an SRT8, then pay an additonal $30k for them to add the custom trim package, exhaust, and super charger mods. (The price of a second Challenger...)

But $80k *on top of* a 2SS?? that is ludicrous. You could almost by 3 camaros or SRT8s for that much.

$80k *total* for a ZL1 might make sense to a few die-hard camaro fans, and they might get some buyers, but that's already more than a Mustang Supersnake with 700+RWHP. If it's $80k on top of a 2SS, (~$125k total), I think they are really smoking some heavy stuff. I can't imagine they'd sell very many at all. I mean, even at $80k, that's nearly viper and corvette price range, but not nearly the performance.

Isn't $80k already more than a CTS-V? I thought CTS-Vs were ~$60k.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
The ZL1 Ludeakriss777 is referring to is the new Chevy Camaro Concept. The SLP ZL1 is an aftermarket conversion package. These are 2 different things. The factory camaro zl1 will not be more than a $50k to $55k base MSRP car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
heres the brochure, last page very top and fine print very bottom last page.
anyway \ludakriss sounds like you have great taste and qwill make a well informed decision and get exactly that what you seek!!

http://slpcamaro.com/docs/2011ZL1SIB.pdf

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The ZL1 Ludeakriss777 is referring to is the new Chevy Camaro Concept. The SLP ZL1 is an aftermarket conversion package. These are 2 different things. The factory camaro zl1 will not be more than a $50k to $55k base MSRP car.
Okay, that makes sense then--it's just like Hurst or SMS.
$80k is quite a bit though, IMO. I think Hurst's priciest packages is about $30k extra (which is still a lot IMO).

$50-55k for a factory ZL1 is probably a decent price point. That's on par with the Mustang Shelby, and more than a loaded 392 SRT8. Depending on how you value the trade-offs, it's between fairly comparable and a bit pricier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea I was talking about the new line of Camaro ZL1 with the LSA engine not a performance package. Chevy's answer to the GT500. From the pricing I've done you can get a fully loaded 2SS/RS for about 40K, the ZL1 is going to basically be a supercharged version of the 2SS with some minor cosmetic changes and suspension tuning etc at a price point around 52K-55K est. To be honest at that point your in standard Corvette territory. I can't afford that so no use in even talking about it.

However, this new SRT8 is worth the extra budget stretch for me. I try to keep my cars for 10 years so I want to get the car of my dreams persay so I don't regret it 2 years from now saying "should of got the Challenger" as more and more Camaros start popping up around town. I'm a big fan of unique cars that you don't see too many of, so of the 3 "muscle" cars the challenger is less spotted. And if so, most are the SE or maaybe an RT here or there but never an SRT8.

OMOM's summary touched on the luxury/touring traits of the Challenger and its a trait I think will come in handy as I am just starting my family and expect to have at least 1 more child. Would I be correct to say that the shear size of the Challenger makes it somewhat safer? It does have all the modern safety equipment as well which is a plus...especially with the wife.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Bigger doesn't always mean safer... modern cars are pretty much all as safe as they can get without armor plating and weighing 4 tons.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts