Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

You might argue that this thread belongs in the Detailing sub-forum, but I thought I'd post it here since it will get the attention of more of the 392IE owners this way.

Just took delivery of my 392 last Saturday. The car is amazing -- pics and impressions post soon to come -- but in the few days since then, the driver's seat has already started to take on some horrid dye transfer from my jeans and jacket (getting gradually, progressively worse).

This is not a thread for I-told-you-sos, but rather for mutual info sharing on what works and what doesn't for removing these stains and sealing/preventing future dye transfers from happening.

These seats look really cool. I'd hate to have to go to the dealer and order a set of the standard SRT seat covers, cause they cost so much.

Please tell me there's a way to clean this stuff off. I've already tried Mopar Total Clean, to no avail.

Why, Dodge? Why?

EDIT: You would think in this freaking day and age with all our advanced technology, that we'd be able to create factory leather seats of ANY color that are not susceptible to dye transfer stains from clothing. Surely some kind of protectant or sealant can be applied. Bleh.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Dodge is going to have to step up to the plate and fix these seat problems. The vender they have now is the worst. If enough of us complain (Regular 392) they'll have to do something.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The white on the ff interior does the same thing, I was just about to ask the same question in the ff owners thread.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I don't know how to clean white leather and all white leather interiors I've had eventually turned blue. I had my wife sew a piece of elastic to a big towel that allows me to drape the towel over the seat held on under the headrest. This works to keep the seats clean and the towel is easily removable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The only thing I can think might work is something like Scotchguard. It provides a protecting layer that stops stuff penetrating the leather. Works great on shoes. To be honest the beige leather seats in my other car get blue'd from jeans, but it does seem to wipe off with some elbow grease and leather care instant wipes.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
This is an Epic Fail from Dodge. They should do a recall and get another vendor.
Too bad, cause I like the white seats.
I would raise hell about this issue. No way in hell an I going to pay 50k on a new car and get stains from blue jeans.
Wait till the summer comes, with heat and humidity, it will be 10x worse.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Good idea for a thread. I'll post my experience - the initial fitting was not bad but no idea on dye transfer. I won't be driving it much until the weather improves.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i have already planned on having seat covers made....i have 3 kids and know my back seats will be trashed otherwise

ive also considered taking the white ones out and storing them...

how much do normal srt seats cost?

i knew they would be problematic, but didnt expect to see dirt complaints this soon

another idea i had was to oil them every weekend before i use the car...i was hoping that being freshly oiled would resist dirt

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I put all-white seat covers in my PCP R/T. I noticed some dye transfer from my brown belt after driving it for a weekend. I tried several different methods to get the leather clean, but there is still just a little bit of brown in one place that won't come off. I sent an email to Katzkin (the vendor for the Mopar accessory leather), and this is their reply:

We do not recommend you clean your leather with Lexol it contains silicone that will damage the leather causing it to harden and crack. To clean your leather we recommend you use a mild dish washing soap (like Ivory) and warm water on a damp cloth. Regarding your belt stains more than likely it will not come off.

So, now when I drive my car I either leave my shirt untucked so it covers my belt, or I wear a web belt that I bought that is natural fibers and has no dye. I remember a Cutlass I had when I was a kid that had white vinyl interior, and my jeans turned it blue. So now when I buy a new pair of jeans, I wash them at least 6 times before I wear them in my Challenger. This whole routine sucks, but it's part of living with a white interior.

I looked at the towel-style seat covers, but it seems to me that they would slide around too much when sliding in and out of the car. Keep posting, let the ideas roll!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just looked on Katzkin website. Looks like around $2k for a new set of leather seat covers. Not crazy money, around 4% of the MSRP. I'll probably consider picking up dark slate door panels to replace the white in the near term (and store it), then switch out the white seat covers when they get past their looking good phase.

·
Registered
396 Posts
hell at least you guys got to drive it to get them dirty
mine arrived that way :disgust:
My last challenger had no such problem with it's white interior

Attachments

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hell at least you guys got to drive it to get them dirty
mine arrived that way :disgust:
My last challenger had no such problem with it's white interior
Well, let me clarify. When I picked it up from the dealer, the driver's seat was already showing some dirt. :-( Nothing horrible, but being as anal as I am, I noticed it right away.

It has since gotten worse with the dye transfer from my clothes.

Gonna try some dish soap tonight.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well, let me clarify. When I picked it up from the dealer, the driver's seat was already showing some dirt. :-( Nothing horrible, but being as anal as I am, I noticed it right away.

It has since gotten worse with the dye transfer from my clothes.

Gonna try some dish soap tonight.
Gotchya mine looked like it got dirty from either the driver
that delivered it or whoever tested it at the plant
When It was on ebay the seat covers were off & it didn't even dawn
on me to tell them to cover it up

Lesson learned for anyone still waiting , tell them to keep the seat plastic ON !!!

Don't know if you can see the yellowish brown in the pics , it's also on the
lateral support part of the seats , drivers side only , so I know its from
someone driving it with dirty clothes

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
How about a Mr. Clean magic eraser? Carefully

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Gotchya mine looked like it got dirty from either the driver
that delivered it or whoever tested it at the plant
When It was on ebay the seat covers were off & it didn't even dawn
on me to tell them to cover it up

Lesson learned for anyone still waiting , tell them to keep the seat plastic ON !!!

Don't know if you can see the yellowish brown in the pics , it's also on the
lateral support part of the seats , drivers side only , so I know its from
someone driving it with dirty clothes
OZ1 you shouldnt be accepting those seats...wow they look lose

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i e-mailed that neoprene place for seat covers...maybe we could ask for a group buy on a medium grey seat w/ blue stripes and a 392 on them???

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You guys might look into these seat covers. Neoprene, like a wetsuit, and can be custom made if you want to pay extra.

See: Coverking - Custom Seat Covers
2010s are advertised "not for SRT8" and 2011 is just not available.

I'm guessing the reason they're not available has to do with the airbags in the side of the seats (check the tag at the top side of the driver seat)

Whatever seat covers would probably have to be designed to break away where the air bag deploys. It may make finding "legal" seat covers rather difficult. :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
I put on:
Dash Away Interior Spray - Street Legal it worked perfect mine looked better than new. Made by:Surf City Garage. I highly recomend it. I also bought a bunch more of thier products because it worked so well.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I just ordered some of that Dash Away spray, going to give it a try.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts