Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 9th annual Mt St Helens cruise "Mopars on the Mountain" will be August 8th, 2015

Mark your calendars, PDX Mopar Muscle will be hosting the 2015 Edition of Mopars on the Mountain. Lets see if we can beat the 74 car total from 2014. I am sure we will, so far I have about 145 signed up on the Facebook page!

This is the annual cruise of Mopars up Mt St Helens. Open to all Modern and Classic Mopars.
- 10:00am: Meet at the overflow parking lot for the Shell Gas station just off Exit 49 of I-5 (near Castlerock, WA)
- 10:30am: Roll out as a convoy for the fantastic drive through the twists and turns up Hwy 504 nonstop to the top. The time for "spirited driving" will be on your return trip.
- 11:30am: (ish) Arrive at Johnston Ridge. Stay as long as you wish here then drive solo or in groups back down after lunch.
- 12:00/1pm: The Johnston Ridge parking lot WILL be the official lunch spot! There is a Subway directly across the street, to the north, that will have their full menu available! They have been notified there may be extra business at 10 am for them. Or, bring a lunch and some chairs and small tables for the luncheon in the lot.
** Beware while speeding, ya never know where Police/Hwy Patrol/Park Patrols will be lurking.
** Last year, there was a lot of bicyclists on the road so be careful.
** Walkie Talkies are set to Channel 3.33 (Actual Frequency is 462.61250 / Sub Audio C-210.7). Cell phone reception is poor/non existent up top.
** While at the top, parking is free, entrance to the Visitor Center is $8 per adult. Fantastic views of Mt St Helens here.
** Bring water and food; there is food available at the Visitors Centers but it's not for everyone. Some folks buy their munchies at the Shell station/Quickie Mart prior to rolling out.
** If you want to try some hiking, bring appropriate attire and let someone know where you're going.

https://www.facebook.com/events/820203471394316/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming&source=1

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hopefully I'll get a couple of the Dakota R/T folks together for this one. If I make it, I'll most likely be driving my Dakota R/T instead of the challenger.

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked the official FB page, and we already have over 70 cars signed up! We will easily hit 100+ when the date arrives. Don't miss it! Mopar trucks are of course invited.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I am going to try and make this although I am from Kennewick. I have been up to JR before. I prefer the east side going toWindy Ridge Observatory (blastzone) and ride the Harley there once a year too.

I was actually around Rimrock Lake the day of the eruption and with no communications (this was 1980) we actually thought we were close to a nuclear blast. We did not get off of White pass until the following day.

I wrote and performed this song about the blast.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
This year I AM THERE!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. I'll see if we can get some folks together.
There were about 4 SRT Jeep Cherokees last year. Those are some badass rigs! We look forward to checking out whatever ride you choose to bring.

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From 2014, Here's a link to a video of the first batch of cars cruising up:
http://youtu.be/my1o6MdC5NM

Some regular cars somehow broke into our lineup, which is why the video ended early.

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to try and make this although I am from Kennewick. I have been up to JR before. I prefer the east side going toWindy Ridge Observatory (blastzone) and ride the Harley there once a year too.

I was actually around Rimrock Lake the day of the eruption and with no communications (this was 1980) we actually thought we were close to a nuclear blast. We did not get off of White pass until the following day.

I wrote and performed this song about the blast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHDk4hhK958
Windy Ridge Observatory: is it paved roads to get up there? Do you have a route saved somewhere? I thought it was all gravel Forest Service roads in that area.

Make a weekend trip out of it. Drive in Friday afternoon, hang out with us Friday night in PDX and join in the fun Saturday!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Windy Ridge Observatory: is it paved roads to get up there? Do you have a route saved somewhere? I thought it was all gravel Forest Service roads in that area.

Make a weekend trip out of it. Drive in Friday afternoon, hang out with us Friday night in PDX and join in the fun Saturday!
Will try to make it, sound like a blast. The trip to Windy Ridge IMO is the best place to view St Helens, you are ground zero in the blast zone. Still a lot of the burned up cars there. It is paved all the way to the parking lot at Windy Ridge, anything south will turn to gravel.

When we go with the Harleys we meet up in Randle WA. From there go south on 131 until you hit NF99. There are some killer scenic spots along the way and a rest area. (map 1).

From Castle Rock it is also easy (map 2) just head up I5 to White Pass, head east to Randle and stop for lunch there or at Riffe Lake. 131 down to 99. The road is good.

Seeing a line of MOPARs going up I-5 and on White Pass would be bad ass. Randle is a cool little town and a great place for some good pics. Here is an itinerary of stops to make along the way.

http://www.whitepassbyway.com/roadtrips/windyridgeloop.html

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Check out the places they shot some of this video. I wonder which parking lot he was in to get that cool shot of Mt St. Helens? The parking lot lines are painted bright yellow, is this the same place?

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1096858_hellcat-vs-hellcat-tires-shredded-faces-melted-internet-broken

We drove this route last Saturday after lunch, from Carson, WA up the Windy River Hwy, took a left on Curly Creek Rd. and headed towards the reservoirs. Roads were pretty good, there was one scenic overlook we blew past on Curly Creek Rd. At one point I did see a sign saying "Windy Ridge this way" pointing to the right. Looking at Google maps, this may be another way to get there from the south.
Not sure if it is unpaved, though.

carson.amboy.jpg

:guiness:

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Latest count is 108 cars, and it's 2 months away. This will be huge!

·
Registered
64 Posts
me ('12 SRT) and my buddy ('10 SRT) will be attending. Do we have to sign up or register or can we just show up? We'll be coming from the east side of the state.

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
me ('12 SRT) and my buddy ('10 SRT) will be attending. Do we have to sign up or register or can we just show up? We'll be coming from the east side of the state.
Just show up! Bring a lunch for when we hang out at the top.

- 10:00am: Meet at the overflow parking lot for the Shell Gas station just off Exit 49 of I-5 (near Castlerock, WA)

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One small change to the agenda for lunch:

- 11:30am: (ish) Arrive at Johnston Ridge. Stay as long as you wish here then drive solo or in groups back down after lunch.
- 12:00/1pm: The Johnston Ridge parking lot WILL be the official lunch spot! Bring a lunch and some chairs and small tables for the luncheon in the lot.

We have not been able to locate a suitable place that has great service for a group lunch. Pack a cooler, hang at the top with everyone, and check out all the cool cars!

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Sponsor added!

PDX MoparLX would like to Thank "Mobile West: Car Audio Restyled", for their generous donation to cover the cost of the dash plaques. First 100 cars get one!

·
Registered
477 Posts
This looks like a fun event. My wife and I are going to drive up from SoCal.
We had been thinking of going to the Portland area for a little summer vacation anyways. This event pushed us to the final decision. The icing on the cake is that the 8th is my birthday.
Looking forward to meeting a bunch of new Moparians.

See you soon, Jeff

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This looks like a fun event. My wife and I are going to drive up from SoCal.
We had been thinking of going to the Portland area for a little summer vacation anyways. This event pushed us to the final decision. The icing on the cake is that the 8th is my birthday.
Looking forward to meeting a bunch of new Moparians.

See you soon, Jeff
How long will you be in the area? There is a massive Mopar show up near Seattle the next day. And our club, PDX MoparLX has our monthly meeting on August 9th, too. Let mw know if you want to meet up, have us show you around Portland, and the Columbia Gorge!

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Need to find a driver for my Challenger, so I can bring the Viper AND the R/T.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Count me in for this. I met some of you guys at PIR last night. I had 1 of the 2 GCM SP's there.
What is the name of FB page I need to friends request? Cant remember for the life of me!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts