Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking about the past. In '73 I was looking for my first car and these are a few of the cars that I passed up at that time. Man do I wish that I had a Delorean with a flux capacitor to go back into time with a wad of money.

'70 Superbird 4 speed $1695.00
'70 Daytona Charger 4 speed $1795.00
Split window Corvette 4 speed $1600.00
'70 Challenger T/A 4 speed $2850.00
'68 Camaro RS/SS Convertible 396 4 speed $1695.00

The only reason that I did not buy one of these cars is that I had polio when I was young and the left leg doesn't work and I did not have the experience in changing over the stick to an auto. That part sucks.

I did end up with a 70 Challenger R/T Auto. Modded the heck out of it and yes it was my first love.

·
Registered
585 Posts
OMG don't go there, the one's that got away, not just cars but wimin :indifferent:
Although very happy with the muscle that I owned, 5 total mopar and GM musclecars and all my favorites to this day. I know what you mean. The split window vette. I did get to drive a Delorean and can't say other than it's unique it's not real muscle to me, kind of an oddball, think this one had a 351C in the back seat or close by anyway :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
By the time I had a decent income new cars were pretty much boring... late 80's early 90s.... nothing like the mid 60s to early 70s muscle and coolness..

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dodgetime
Oh the memories! FYI the Delorean comes with only one motor and it is a Renault 6 cyl. The reason that I know that is that there is one in our shop right now not more than 50 feet away. It had been hit and we had to put on a left quarter panel and trim. I could not believe it but just about every part except for the left fender is available, but not cheap. The Delorean is not very fast, but I hear that it WILL go 88 mph. lol Actually, top speed is around 110 but not very stable, the front end is too light, rear engine. If you were in a Pantera they came with a 351 cleveland. Look about the same except the Pantera has paint on it.
I can't believe that I remember all of this.
Where is my pen, phone, truck, wife.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just thinking about the past. In '73 I was looking for my first car and these are a few of the cars that I passed up at that time. Man do I wish that I had a Delorean with a flux capacitor to go back into time with a wad of money.
There is a guy in Santa Clarita, CA that drives around a "Back To The Future" Delorean. Flux Capacitor and all. Maybe you could ask him. He has the Mr. Fushion mod installed, so just bring some garbage with you. LOL!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to live in the past, I could buy all my toys. Actually I do like my '09 SRT the best and I also have a '70 Challenger 440-6 conv.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
my biggest mistake was not buying my friends 1969 Mustang Boss 302 for $400. i turned it down because the shifter linkage was messed up. at the time, we all had muscle cars. i had a '68 Nickey 427 camaro convertable. imagine what that would be worth today.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
S/S Dodge----You should be punished severely for selling the Camaro. But I am sure that you have punished yourself enough for selling it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
dodgetime
Oh the memories! FYI the Delorean comes with only one motor and it is a Renault 6 cyl. The reason that I know that is that there is one in our shop right now not more than 50 feet away. It had been hit and we had to put on a left quarter panel and trim. I could not believe it but just about every part except for the left fender is available, but not cheap. The Delorean is not very fast, but I hear that it WILL go 88 mph. lol Actually, top speed is around 110 but not very stable, the front end is too light, rear engine. If you were in a Pantera they came with a 351 cleveland. Look about the same except the Pantera has paint on it.
I can't believe that I remember all of this.
Where is my pen, phone, truck, wife.
I'll be dipped, your right it was a Pantera but it was total stainless and it had odd feel to the shift linkage, probably due to lengths and rear engine. I imagine the 351C could move on down the line :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
S/S Dodge----You should be punished severely for selling the Camaro. But I am sure that you have punished yourself enough for selling it.

that Nickey camaro was loaded with options, even tilt wheel. the bad part was the 4MPG it got with the high compression 427. how many of those cars were made?

·
Registered
460 Posts
My very first vehicle test drive was in a 1961 Chrysler New Yorker. As many looks as I get in the Challenger, EVERYONE was watching me on the road in that New Yorker. Big fin cars are hard to miss :)

I wish I'd been able to get it at the time as it was in very good shape, just needed some interior work and cleaning. Unfortunately, I was living just off campus at the time in apartment housing...there's no way it wouldn't have gotten dinged and it was nowhere near practical as a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
If you're a certain age, we all probably have similar tales of woe.

The ones I lost out on were:

70 Roadrunner, it was my cousin's car, and he "forgot" I wanted it and sold it to a kid I went to school with. Black with black interior, it looked like it was brand new in late 73.
70 Chevelle SS396. This was in 1975, it looked great. I wanted to buy it to resell it, but couldn't get the loan.
1973 SD455 Trans Am. Red with white leather, engine had been worked on, and there were a bunch of upgrades, brakes, suspension, etc, I couldn't get anyone to loan me the $$ to buy it. The guy wanted almost exactly what I could buy a base TA for in 1977, but it was better in every way.
1969 Corvette 427 convertible. A doctor's car. 13000 miles on it in 1978. All it needed was a new top, the old one was split from the sun. I tried and tried to get a loan, get a friend to buy it, and he refused. Some high school kid bought it for what I could have gotten it for $3600. A few years later it was worth much more.
70 ARR Cuda. There was one that some guy had since he was in high school, and I told him if he ever was going to sell, it, to give me a chance to buy it first. It never had seen snow/salt, and he had really taken good care of it. I had just bought a new car when he called me to let me buy it, so I had to say no. He parked it on a lot here where there is huge traffic passing by and it was snapped up for full asking price in less than an hour. I saw it a couple of times and then never saw it again. I always wondered what happened to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In 1971 I was working at a Dodge dealership a guy came in wanting to sell his 1969 Hemi Super Bee. He was going to Viet Nam, I got a loan friday night took car home called insurance company. I think they are still laughing about a 18 year old with 3 tickets being able to afford insurance on a Hemi 4 speed car. My dad ended up buying the car a put it up for sale. He made about a grand on the sale. Never saw the car again.
There was a Plum Crazy Challenger T/A sitting on the showroom floor for over a year they had down to $3000 to get ride of it I could not get behind the color am I stupid or what?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
My "buddy" was a year older than me & owned a '72 Camaro, before it was considered a '72 Camaro! He would complain about having to do this or that on it.
I was 17, in love with it & looking to buy my first car. I bugged him for a long time to sell it to me but he wouldn't. His reason was that it would give me trouble & he didn't want to lose our friendship.
Shortly thereafter, we lost our friendship over a girl & he sold it to buy a mini-truck. What a jackass (can I say that?). :fight:

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
My "buddy" was a year older than me & owned a '72 Camaro, before it was considered a '72 Camaro! He would complain about having to do this or that on it.
I was 17, in love with it & looking to buy my first car. I bugged him for a long time to sell it to me but he wouldn't. His reason was that it would give me trouble & he didn't want to lose our friendship.
Shortly thereafter, we lost our friendship over a girl & he sold it to buy a mini-truck. What a jackass (can I say that?). :fight:
I think so, I think enough people got banned for one week. LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts