Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what all the fuss is about. It's a rear wheel drive car. Ok. It's heavy, powerful, and it moves through snow just like any other rear wheel drive car.

I did put a set of Charger 18" wheels on it, with a set of Falken EuroWinter tires. I drove it through some slippery snow last night and through slushy snow this morning. Not a single issue.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't know what all the fuss is about. It's a rear wheel drive car. Ok. It's heavy, powerful, and it moves through snow just like any other rear wheel drive car.

I did put a set of Charger 18" wheels on it, with a set of Falken EuroWinter tires. I drove it through some slippery snow last night and through slushy snow this morning. Not a single issue.

I think the fuss comes from people driving in the snow with the Goodyear RSAs. With snow tires, the car handles very well.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I think the fuss comes from people driving in the snow with the Goodyear RSAs. With snow tires, the car handles very well.
I agree these cars handle well with the proper boots and look beautiful doing it!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
That is it.
"All Season" tires suck in any serious ice/snow conditions. Apparently it is very easy for a tire to get a "M&S" rating.
I drove high HP RWD cars for many years in the winter and never had an accident or got stuck but I always had snow tires, usually studded snow tires.
Our Jeep SRT tires are rated M&S but I put a set of winter tires on it and last Thursday I'm very glad I did.

·
Registered
27 Posts
how come bro i cant handle mine in rain did you change the oem tires ?

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I rode through Flagstaff while snow was hitting that altitude. Suffice to say it was a white-knuckle experience for me. Perhaps, the Challenger was handling it fine, but I certainly did not want to find out otherwise in the middle of the night in those conditions. I got through safely, though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I live in the midwest where there is plenty of snow. I've never purchased snow tires in my adult life. I'm not even sure what the fuss is all about. I vaguely remember my parents buying snow tires as recently as the early-mid '70's but that's about it.

Since then....all-season tires have come a long way. Am I missing something???

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I live in the midwest where there is plenty of snow. I've never purchased snow tires in my adult life. I'm not even sure what the fuss is all about. I vaguely remember my parents buying snow tires as recently as the early-mid '70's but that's about it.

Check out winter tire vs. all season video at tire rack and you'll see what you're missing.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts

Same here. I drove years ago with "regular" bias plies in some pretty crap winters in the midwest and survived. Just have to take into account that it is slick and adjust your driving accordingly. Although it sucks having all that power you can't put down, eventually there will be clear road. :browsmiley: In the meantime, I laugh at the 4X's and SUV's in the ditch.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's not so much the car, but whose behind the wheel.

·
Registered
164 Posts

I believe there are some very good all-season tires but the Goodyear RSAs are NOT by any means.

·
Registered
772 Posts

Mine does just fine in my driveway because that is where it stays parked if it snows :werd:

·
Registered
772 Posts
It's not so much the car, but whose behind the wheel.
Actually it is the other 90% of the other drivers where the problem comes in.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Do any of you dare running around in the snow with traction-control deactivated? I don't think I would ever try that in anything other than a closed, empty parking lot, for I fear there is a real demon that lurks there. When you guys say it is a stable and confident drive, I remain incredulous, as I think we are just experiencing the electronic stability program of the car, rather than the raw car.

I've done some brief instances with traction control deactivated on wet pavement (strictly as an experiment), and let me tell you, the car is not so benign that it won't come out to bite you, if you let the rear get squirrely. Afaict, it's inherently still a rwd car that can store a lot of energy in its mass in motion, that requires an extreme level of respect on slippery pavement, if you care to stay out of ditches and off of concrete columns. The stability control certainly keeps that behavior battened down.

Anybody else ever deliberately push it on slippery pavement w/o the perks of traction control?

·
Registered
347 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do any of you dare running around in the snow with traction-control deactivated?
During my drive in the snow, I only recall seeing the ESP light flash once.

I actually kind of prefer driving with ESP off because I think it's fairly jarring when it kicks in. I'd rather catch the rear end with the steering wheel and bring it back smoothly than have it jerk back in line with the rear brakes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As a Canadian, lemme tell you that winter tires are a huge help..I understand that many drivers on this forum are experienced etc, but all season tires do not, in any way, compare to the additional traction of dedicated winter tires...

Yes, it can be argued that 90% of safe winter driving relies on the driver's skill and respect for the conditions, but from experience I'd prefer to have that extra 10% on my side with winter tires..especially with the Challenger.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I worry more about the windows freezing than the actual driving in winter even with the RSA's. She's got a good dose of Gummi- Phlege on the seals and windows now and it seems to be working fine. Yeah, other drivers are a concern, but I try to leave extra room between me and potential idiots. If someone is determined to ride my a$$ or shadow me, I just get out of their way.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
During my drive in the snow, I only recall seeing the ESP light flash once.

I actually kind of prefer driving with ESP off because I think it's fairly jarring when it kicks in. I'd rather catch the rear end with the steering wheel and bring it back smoothly than have it jerk back in line with the rear brakes.
I will drive with it off in certain situations in the snow/ice. If i want to get in my driveway (inclined) and its not been 100% cleaned off or there is a patch of ice, to make it into the garage I need to get some speed and keep the tired spinning. If the ESP suddenly cuts power when i'm getting up the driveway i loose grip and slide right back down. I'd prefer to back off the power myself as i feel it slip than let the computer guess the conditions in which is is slipping.

·
Registered
350 Posts
you guys are wimps, I did it with f1's! lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts