Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
My 2018 hasn't had any issues in the 27,000 miles I've put on it in 1.5 yrs. It has been a joy so far I am on the 2nd set of tires that's about it. Best car I've owned except for my 1st car as a kid.

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger 1320
64 Posts
I always kind of laughed when my non-mopar car friends would talk about the un-reliability. Seems like they haven't paid much attention! I did get the chance to ask a service tech that is a friend of mine at my local dealership about what issues Challengers have when brought into the shop. He said that, as of recently, it was nothing more than electrical issues for the most part; definitely something good to hear!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be honest. My 2018 Challenger GT is my first-ever Dodge and I always said that I'd never buy a Dodge due to reliability concerns. For whatever reason, Dodge has a "bad reliability" reputation. Maybe it was deserved due to reliability-related issues in the past (not sure since I never owned one), but it's pretty obvious that the Challenger is better in that area. It always helps when they build the same car for so long - it allows them to fine-tune it over the years as reliability-related issues are discovered. With a car as timeless-looking as the Challenger, they can afford to do just that!

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger 1320
64 Posts
I'll be honest. My 2018 Challenger GT is my first-ever Dodge and I always said that I'd never buy a Dodge due to reliability concerns. For whatever reason, Dodge has a "bad reliability" reputation. Maybe it was deserved due to reliability-related issues in the past (not sure since I never owned one), but it's pretty obvious that the Challenger is better in that area. It always helps when they build the same car for so long - it allows them to fine-tune it over the years as reliability-related issues are discovered. With a car as timeless-looking as the Challenger, they can afford to do just that!
So the part of reliability issues in the past is very correct. Up until a few years ago (I want to say the Fiat buyout but that may not be the right time). But the fact that most of Dodge's cars have been out for years is a major factor in it. Since, for the most part, the general design has been similar (post-2015), the company has had a lot to work on. I will say though, this may not be the only reason. As with even the Hellcat engine there seems to be less reports of issues overall than I would have anticipated for a engine of that power. It does seem like Dodge really has made the effort which is always great to see.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The reliability issue has to do with the transmission designs in the 80’ & 90’s. Prior to that Dodge was know for being ahead of its time with respect to engineering. Just look at what they did in the nascar hey day as well as the drag racing golden years. The major problem with Dodge is and always has been, that they push the envelope so far that they rest on that for far too long. I’m a life long Mopar Enthusiast and I’ve lived threw the bad times heard stories about the golden years and am now living I. The resurrection years of my beloved brand. As the Saying Goes Mopar it No Car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I don't have no stinking extended warranty. They gave me 3 yrs 36k and 5 60k after that I guess they fall apart time will tell, but mine seems reliable enough to take across country right now. I have 3 reliable FCA Mopar machines and love all 3.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts