Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a bunch of posts about how people hate the 1st-4th shift. After about 2-3 weeks of having my new rt I hadn't experienced it yet. Then one day it happened, it kind of made me nervous cause I forgot it could happen. Anyway I have noticed it only happens when I slowly, slowly accelerate. Otherwise it never happens which to me is no big deal. Is this the "Norm", or does happen at other times also?

·
Banned
675 Posts
I bought my car with 30 miles on it, and I never had the 1-4 issue until about 100 miles. Now I have 400 or so miles and I get it several times a day. I'm not sure if it's the car/clutch breaking in, or if it's me, but it drove me crazy to the point that I bought the eliminator, it arrives in the mail today thankfully.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I certainly understand why it would drive you nuts, but if it only happens for me when I slowly accelerate im cool with that. If it starts doing it more often or under harder acceleration I will change it.
Thanks

·
Registered
239 Posts
Is this even on the 2011's? I have driven my car 1600 miles and have never seen it or is it automatics only?:scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I have noticed it twice, and it happened both times when I accelerated moderately to about 3K RPM before shifting. The EVIC showed a message about it as it happened, but I was too busy cursing the shifter to read it. The car has about 350 miles on it now. When I granny it, shifting between 2,000-2,500 rpms, it does not happen. I think it happens when there is enough RPMs in reserve to make it into 4th gear? I have not gotten on the car because it is not broken in. If this is a normalcy, skip shift eliminator for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Per the manual, its limited to happening between 19 and 21mph and sissy footing the throttle. Simple fix is just to shift into 2nd right before or just run mph a lil higher.

Personally, in all my manual trans I've only used 1st gear to start the roll and go right into second somewhere between 5 and 15mph. On my truck's I never even used first. I'm sure dodge limited it between 19 and 21mph just to get through the regulatory fuel economy stuff but not affect much realistic and spirited driving.

Manual Transmission, Skip shift operations;

According to the 2009 Dodge Challenger Owner's Manual, these conditions are:

(1) Engine coolant (antifreeze) is higher than 106°F (41°C)
(2) Vehicle speed is >19 mph (30 km/h) but < 21 mph (34 km/h)
(3) Transmission is in first gear, and the accelerator is at 1/4 throttle or less.

100 Challenger Tips and Tricks

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
And it can be d*mn embarrassing when it occurs with people around. Ask me how I know:eek: I suppose thats what I get for granny footing the accelerator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts