Dodge Challenger Forum banner

How has a warranty affected tuning your car

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been reading a lot lately on these forums to decide what mods to make to my car once the warmer weather rolls around again. There's quite a few threads on 'should I buy a predator', 'what mods do I made', many helpful resources on the matter. What I figured would be interesting is to see how many forum members tune there cars and have a warranty with the dealer they intend to put to use.

If you have tuned your car but intend to try for warranty work do you plan on trying to get the engine replaced if it cuts out at 150,000 miles? Do you already consider that void because of your tune and you're just concerned with coverage on the electrical components of your modern muscle car? Finally, have you avoided tuning you vehicle so your warranty remains intact. Obviously any comments on how warranties have affected the tuning/moding of your car are welcome.

Personally my plans are definitely the Corsa Extreme Exhaust and the SRT8 suspension upgrade because they don't give the dealer any excuse to avoid serious warranty work. There's always time to change my mind though! :browsmiley:

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Before I got my predator I sent an email to daiblosport and ask if I used the predator to tune my car would it void the warranty. I have a letter from them (DiabloSport,Inc.) that says "No, there is no concern with the warranty"
I will forward it to anyone that has that concern.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should definitely clarify I don't mean to imply that the predator will void your warranty. The official statement from DiabloSport,Inc is clear and I'm willing to accept that. Consider the "I have a warranty but don't tune my car to avoid warranty issues" more for people who don't do it 'just in case'. Some dealers will look for any excuse to avoid fixing an issue. The same type of question might even apply if you decide to put on an exhaust. You know it doesn't hurt the rest of the car, but sometimes the dealer tries to use that as an out.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Before I got my predator I sent an email to daiblosport and ask if I used the predator to tune my car would it void the warranty. I have a letter from them (DiabloSport,Inc.) that says "No, there is no concern with the warranty"
I will forward it to anyone that has that concern.
Pretty much doesn't matter what Daiblo says... it's what your dealer says about it, as they would be handling the work.

Mine said to pull out the Tune before I bring it in to avoid any issues.
That's what they do before warranty work and they work there...

So personally I'd error on the side of caution.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
why would you make this a PUBLIC poll??? if there ever was a chance that tuning could void a warranty, theres no way in hell Id go public

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never posted a poll so its new to me, if a mod can change it to a non-public poll I'd appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
i have heard that once you put a tune in your car and then remove it,it will still show that there was a tune.does anyone know if this is true?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I know in most computers you can tell every time a file is programmed and I would think they could see the PCM had been programmed and that's why I wasn't just going to put the old one back and act like I never had done anything. That's why I ask Diablosport if it does void the warranty if you use their programmer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If Diablosport says it won't void the warranty and it does then Diablosport would have to pay for it.
Just because they say it doesn't void the warranty, that doesn't necessarily mean they are going to pay for it. You would have to prove the tune caused the problem, so basically your in the same boat as with the dealer. I could imagine both saying it's the others responsibilty.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
The dealer has to prove the tune caused the problem to void the warranty and if they can prove that then Diablosport has to eat it.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
The dealer has to prove the tune caused the problem to void the warranty and if they can prove that then Diablosport has to eat it.
Well if your comfortable believing that's the way it has to go down... then roll with it.

Personally having dealt with plenty of dealers...
It is usually YOU that will have to PROVE to THEM that the tune(performance part) didn't cause the problem.
All they have to do is say you altered the cars factory programing/part from the warrantied configuration. "Claim denied."

Do you think you have the technical expertise to prove any portion of the software code "did not cause" whatever issue may be on the horizon. Unless you work for Diablo, or have access to the Diablo base code,(most of us don't) you won't be able to prove anything one way or the other... Thus "Claim still Denied"

I'm not going to risk it with my car...
Once the warranty runs out... well that's a different story. :)
Or if I decide to give up the warranty and install a blower... still undecided :scratchhead:
But until I'm ready to consider the warranty "a lost cause", I'm not gonna risk it.
Or encourage anyone else to risk their warranty either.

As to program logs...
I have yet to see one that did not have and internal log/debug/crash file.
And as stated earlier...
At the very least, the install time stamp would no longer be when the car was built.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
this is a little off of the subject.if you plug the trinity in and only use it as a monitoring tool,do you have to install a tune?i know they are 600 bucks but if you bought all of gauges that this thing has ,you would spend alot more then that.i think it would be cool to monitor all of the workings of the car even though i not going to do anything with the info.this car is fast enough for me bone stock.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I said in post 11 I thought they should be able to tell a programming was done at a certain time and date. The only thing I was saying is Diablosport said the tune would not void the warranty. runner2go doesn't buy that and I'm taking them at their word. That's why we have this kinda stuff is to bring out both sides of the issue. As far as guitars question, Some computers you can see if a file was read and never programmed and in that case you'ld be O.K. no mater what. I don't know if the computer on here does that or not.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
I have a warranty, which basicly was a complete waste of money.
At the time of purchase Chrysler was'nt trilled with my credit score and insisted that i buy a warranty, which i could have cancled after the purchase but did not because i'm lazy.
I knew when I bought my car that I was going to buy a Kenne Bell sooner or later but went through the mod thing first with the headers and cat back the predator the cai.
Once the car ran 12.5's i got bored with going slow and ordered the kenne bell and slap it on and beat the life out of the car for about 3 months and the process of chasing the weakest link began.
After a year of replacing everything form the rear to the motor the car is finally come together, not one warranty claim filed.
So if your going to mod your car call up and cancel your warranty get your money back your going to need it to fix the weakest link.
Filing faulse warranty claims is dishonest and against the law.
what comes around goes around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts