Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was pondering these things earlier and thought it may be a good discussion. What's the likely amount of time that Dodge is going to continue producing the gen 3 Hemi motors (outside the truck lineup)? I know the 2025 CAFE standards were recently relaxed, but they obviously won't stay like that forever.

I also know that there's been talk of a new Hemi or a totally new V8 in the next few years. Last I heard the experimental 4.8L Pentastar V8 idea was scrapped, so I'm thinking the newest V8 we're likely to get for a while is the rumored (and all but confirmed) 426 Hemi. Anyone heard anything different?

I'm also curious to know when or if our Hemis are going to get upgrades such as aluminum blocks, hybrid direct injection/SMPI, etc.

I wonder if Dodge is eventually going to go the way of Ford and redesign the 4th gen Hemis to be a DOHC 32 valve design. I believe I would have a love/hate relationship with that sort of thing. 4 valves per cylinder gives a lot better airflow, and with MDS cylinder deactivation and hybrid direct injection they'd likely be a lot more efficient and powerful than the current Hemi. Take a look at the Coyote motor, only 5.0L and 460 horses and 410 torque while getting nearly 30mpg during highway cruising WITHOUT MDS. But, it'd be a ***** to upgrade to a different cam grind and there are inherently more parts to break and things to go wrong. Never mind the greater difficulty in working on the engine yourself.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
FCA is focusing on the Jeep and Dodge Ram pick-up, as future money makers.

I doubt if it will spend money on developing a new Hemi. My guess is that we will see more turbo and electric cars.

As far as the Challenger, I think that it will continue in its current form, as long as it keeps selling.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FCA is focusing on the Jeep and Dodge Ram pick-up, as future money makers.

I doubt if it will spend money on developing a new Hemi. My guess is that we will see more turbo and electric cars.

As far as the Challenger, I think that it will continue in its current form, as long as it keeps selling.
I realize that those are the money makers, but both Jeep and Ram make use of Hemis. Idk why they wouldn't invest money into improving them

·
Registered
102 Posts
Investing the money to ‘improve’ them.
Well, the two biggest improvenments have come from modification and supercharging of two block designs.

One was a one-off (Demon), and the other is exclusive (Hellcat power plant).

Redesigning an NA motor from the ground up is going to be expensive as all get-up.
How much has FCA already put into getting the Alfa Romeo line back into play?
How many power plants have they designed over the last ten years?
What about the ten years prior?
Does the aftermarket already do it without them having to lay out for it?

So, if we can already get a stroker short block for $6k-7k, why would they take the time to make a factory’s offering that has to be certified, warrantied, and supported at the OEM level?

Not saying it won’t happen, but there’s significant obstacles to overcome.
By and large, I don’t see them putting more money into a bigger gas engine for trucks any time soon. Most people that need bigger go to a diesel anyway.
Likewise, it’s probably more likely than not that forced induction is the way FCA is going for a while with incremental upgrades, at least until new projects have time to make sales numbers.

A 426 Street hemi would be cool as hell, but I’m not going to eat the loss on my Scat to go to something that’s still less powerful and costs more new than a used Hellcat. Not sure how many other people are in that same boat, but I would hazard a guess that there’s a few, and enough to divide the market segment anyway.

If we see it, I imagine it’s going to be a while, and it’ll have to meet a few conditions-
Strong enough to make a difference. More power than a blown 392 on stock pistons.
Close enough to a Hellcat, but not quite there.
Be EPA friendly.
Be ready to be de-stroked with forged pistons, and ready for a blower- so it can essentially be the new 6.2 replacement after a fashion for the next Hellcat.

We can speculate all day, but I guess we’ll see.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,112 Posts
I'd think an easier update would be a Forced induction 3.6L V6. Very stout aluminum engine, said to have been redesigned last time with turbo/twin turbo in mind. Already proven to get 425+HP with a blower. Now you might say that isn't even close to SRT power. While true, it would be a good engine, with good gas mileage, and doable without a complete redesign. And honestly, it appears the Challenger will not get a lot of love in the future. They mentioned really reworking the current chassis, but beyond the rumor of the 426 returning (more plausible as it could go in those Jeeps and Rams too), I don't see much changing on the V8 front. Beyond competing with the Mustang and Camaro, not such a bad thing as they are all great V8s. A Guy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts