Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dad takes my Challenger to the hand car wash, and a $150,000 Audi R8 Roadster pulls right behind.

My dad goes over to grovel at the Audi V10; the Audi owner walks over to look at my Challenger.

The moment comes to move the Challenger forward, so the car wash attendant starts my car and the HEMI comes to life. The Audi owner goes on and on about how wonderful that HEMI sounds, "that's what a real engine sounds like" he says.

Next, his car gets moved, the V10 comes to life and my dad tries to repay the compliment. The Audi owner responds "Nah, that V10 sounds like a clown car...!"

There you have it, even owners of cars costing three times as much are checking out and admiring our Challengers :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
So my dad takes my Challenger to the hand car wash, and a $150,000 Audi R8 Roadster pulls right behind.

My dad goes over to grovel at the Audi V10; the Audi owner walks over to look at my Challenger.

The moment comes to move the Challenger forward, so the car wash attendant starts my car and the HEMI comes to life. The Audi owner goes on and on about how wonderful that HEMI sounds, "that's what a real engine sounds like" he says.

Next, his car gets moved, the V10 comes to life and my dad tries to repay the compliment. The Audi owner responds "Nah, that V10 sounds like a clown car...!"

There you have it, even owners of cars costing three times as much are checking out and admiring our Challengers :D
As a 2014 5.0 owner, I can say unequivocally the 392 is by far the best sounding engine.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
The first time I heard a Viper I was surprised how it sounded... yawn.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
The first time I heard a Viper I was surprised how it sounded... yawn.
A V-10 sounds strange because of how the cylinders fire. If they could get that thing to sound better they would. V-10's are a weird beast. They do sound much better at higher rpms, but mostly sound like a UPS truck...

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Great story... that is awesome!

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
Nothing like a good ol' V-8. :D

·
Premium Member
10,437 Posts
I don't like the sound of a european car. The Ferrari's and Lamborghinis have a fast whine when they idle and another reason I dislike Corsa exhausts. The new Corvettes sound like a foreign car. Those cars may be impressive but I will always prefer classic American muscle cars.

Reactions: wasp392

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts

Can't beat the sound of a v8 beast!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't like the sound of a european car. The Ferrari's and Lamborghinis have a fast whine when they idle and another reason I dislike Corsa exhausts. The new Corvettes sound like a foreign car. Those cars may be impressive but I will always prefer classic American muscle cars.
The sound of Lambo's and Ferrari's put me off at first but I learned to really appreciate them. It's very different from a V8 muscle car but they really sound awesome in their own, different way. I guess it took getting beyond what I expected... they are constructed with their own sound in mind which I've come to love in their own right. If I remember correctly, Ferrari spends a lot of time and money in their car design process making sure it has that "Ferrari" sound.

I guess this comes from my deeper appreciation for F1 racing. I can watch that and enjoy that all day. NASCAR driving in circles is torture for me. Not knocking it, just not my style at all.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Red Light Bandit: 1970 Challenger pro stock car

Yes, V10 will never sound as good as either a V8 or V12.

See link for recently restored "Red Light Bandit", a 1970 Challenger Pro Stock car. Gen II hemi with race cam and open headers, just doesn't get any better sounding than that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgK7aYfYNqY

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I drove a Gallardo a couple weeks ago...I was honestly amazed at how deep the engine sounded. I always thought they had more of a whine also, but to hear it in person when you're sitting in it, there's a lot deeper than I was expecting. That being said, it's a different kind of rumble than a V8...but it's still there, and it still sounds like it wants to eat your face for breakfast.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Euro cars are small displacement high revving engines with multi-valve engines. Challenger would get spanked big time by many of them, the power to weight ratio of the Challenger isn't very good compared to them. Try getting a Challenger to rev to 8K or more rpms and watch the explosion.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
That was one awesome Audi owner! How many of them do you think would humble themselves by admitting that a lowly DODGE sounded better than their exotic?

YEAH! Good old American V/8!

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Euro cars are small displacement high revving engines with multi-valve engines. Challenger would get spanked big time by many of them, the power to weight ratio of the Challenger isn't very good compared to them. Try getting a Challenger to rev to 8K or more rpms and watch the explosion.

All true.

On the same token, try driving an R8 over a speed bump or on a week-long trip.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
My wife and I where jogging last night and a 392 drove by the running trail...sounded great!

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts

Yeah, maybe at idle. But if I had one, you wouldn't here it idle for long. The notes I'd have that exhaust playing would be much higher than ours could ever reach-8,500 RPM shifts sound spine tingling.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I'd easily take a Challenger over the R8...never been a fan of that car. Exotics are supposed to look like something special, and for some reason, the R8 has just never appealed to me. And I'm not being a Domestic Snob...I still drool over Lambo's, Ferrari's, Pagani, and the like...but not the R8.

I'll also go out on a limb and say I've been a huge fan of the Veyron. I respect what it can do, love it's performance, but if I was 13, I wouldn't have a poster of it on my bedroom wall. It just lacks the visual punch of the Aventadore or the Hyura.

Reactions: teddyp
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.