Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me.

Are y'all ready for this doozy?! Well here it goes. I'm getting ready to go out to the bank really quick when I begin backing out of my driveway slowly with my door open (DOOR OPEN!) when suddenly, I hit the stoop on the side of my house. Loudest, crunchiest, horrendous noise ever. I don't know where my heads at. Now my door doesn't close right unless I close it with force and looks horrible. I don't know what I'm gonna do...today is the worst day ever. I'm so depressed and mad at myself that I don't even feel like watching the Breaking Bad premiere tonight. :brickwall:

Here are the pictures of the damage (imgur album):
I'm an idiot. - Imgur

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You are not the first do stupid things. Stuff happens: Your mind was probably somewhere else.

Get an estimate and then see if you are better off going through your insurance company or paying out of pocket yourself. Not much else you can do.

Maybe its a sign time to trade in or trade up.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Let it go, you made a mistake. I've done things in the past as well. Go to a quality shop and they will make it perfect again. It could have been worse, you could have hit another car or a person with the door. Best of luck in getting it behind you.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Yeah, good excuse to upgrade to a 2012 or newer R/T!!! And you get my vote for the award!!!

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
We all make mistakes.. I don't know what's worse.. when something happens to our cars outside of our control, or when we do it ourselves! I've been there!

Reactions: JDGA80

·
Registered
361 Posts
My father did the same thing once. It happens.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey, Life happens! Don't be so hard on yourself, thats why they call them "Accidents"..

·
Banned
553 Posts

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
I had my "idiot" moment this weekend.. I changed the plugs and wires on my 04 Ram Hemi. The 04's had a whacky one year only "waste spark" setup so I eliminated that by going to shorty taylor wires.

Well I got ahead of myself and did more than one coil pack at a time.. And now I am left with one brand new plug and I'm not sure which of the 16 I didn't change!

I went over the passenger side and it wasn't any of those but I'm in so much pain right now from laying over the fenders that plug will have to wait till next weekend!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for making me feel a little better :mecry:

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
everyone screws up at one time or another...insurance should take care of it...let us know how it goes

·
Registered
876 Posts
OUCH! At least you're OK, right?

Maybe this MIGHT make you feel a little better about what happened:

I work as a police officer in a "bedroom community" in the North Texas area. A couple of years ago I shagged a "single motor vehicle accident" call. Fellow involved needed to back his Honda Ridgeline out of the garage and planned on parking it in his driveway. Keyword: planned. He'd done this same thing "a lot of times in the past". Never had a problem before. Because his driveway is sloped at a pretty good angle he got in to the habit of turning the key, but not actually starting the ignition, so he could put it in neutral and let gravity do the work. He and his 10 yr old son climb in the front seats and he starts the backing maneuver ... with the driver side door open and his left hand gripping the door pull (similar to our Challengers) TIGHTLY. About half way down the driveway the door catches something, a tree about four or five inches thick, and begins to RAPIDLY pull away from him. Not one to be out-muscled by a little pulling he increases his grip on the door pull. Resistance continues. Exponentially. And he still refuses to let go ... as he is physically, quite forcefully, and RAPIDLY extricated from said Ridgeline. As he disappears out of the truck and tumbles across the front yard his son, horrified, watches from the front, passenger seat. Now, being the quick-witted lad that he is, the son decides that someone, ANYONE, needs to be "driving" this truck. With no one else available the son rises to the occasion and jumps into the driver's seat and begins to jam down on the brake pedal while simultaneously attempting to turn the steering wheel (the driveway, in addition to being sloped, has a nice curve starting about halfway up ... or down ... depending on which direction you happen to be traveling). Now remember, the key has only been turned far enough to allow the transmission to be placed into neutral and the vehicle is NOT running. NO power to the engine + NO power the complete electrical system = NO power brakes/NO power steering. Our brave hero was able to turn the front wheels far enough to navigate the remainder of the driveway curve, but still has NO brakes. Fortunately the street at the end of the driveway was void of any other vehicles (moving or parked) and the Ridgeline was able to "safely" (and by now fairly rapidly) cross the entire width of the road. And then jump the curb, still going backwards, on the other side of the street. UNfortunately he wasn't able to turn sharp enough to avoid the fire hydrant in the neighbor's front yard ... it was sheared from water line at ground level and trapped under the truck. Now firmly wedged in the undercarriage, the hydrant was forced to join in on the journey as the truck careened half way across the neighbor's yard, narrowly missing a LARGE tree before coming to a complete stop. With the help of a couple of firemen, two city water dept. employees and a 2-ton floor jack we were able to remove the hydrant from underneath the truck. Dad drove the truck back across the street with the driver side door tucked firmly against the left, front quarter panel.

SEE?! Could be worse, right? :saythat: Again, at least you weren't hurt?

·
Registered
834 Posts
As a kid I watched my dad do this on a large flower pot (wine barrel cut in half)
at the end of the driveway, not once but twice!

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
This is why pencils have erasers, and body shop owners are rich! Sorry, just joking......

A couple of years ago I was 2nd in line at a drive-thru bank atm. It was dark out, but the area was well lit. The guy in front of me was driving a jeep suv. He must have been in a rush, he pulled away, leaving his card in the machine. He put the car in drive, moved a few feet, and then realized he left the card behind. He put the car in reverse, at which time I put MY car in reverse, because I thought he was going to ram me! He then realized he couldn't back up so he threw open the door and hopped out. Since his backup lights were still blinding me, I continued to back up a bit, I knew this wasn't going to end well. As he walked the step back to the machine, he realized the car was moving with him. As he turned around to jump back into the car, the door caught on the concrete column that supported the drive-thru roof. He didn't break the door off, but he must have bent it enough, because when I got done at the atm he still hadn't gotten the door closed!

Sorry your car got messed up, I hope you get it repaired quickly...

Scott

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Sorry your car got messed up, I hope you get it repaired quickly...
Thanks. At the time right after it happened, I looked at the door and thought the worse like replacing the whole door. I cleared my head a bit went back outside to look at it and thought that maybe hopefully it's just the hinges that need to be worked on...at least that's what I hope it will be. Also some body work on the bottom since it looks a little bent. Sigh...money I didn't need to spend. Tomorrow is another day.

·
Registered
675 Posts
It definitely sucks but file it under "sh#t happens" and don't do it again! Anyone that's driven long enough eventually does something that they regret but this will become a distant memory and you will be laughing about it someday.

:deal:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Aww...yep, we've all done things we wish we could do over - we're only human. Sorry about your door. :(

·
Registered
142 Posts
It could be worse... a few years ago, I did it to my daughter's car... Do you think I'll ever live THAT down? Nooo.... (smacks forehead)

Her battery had died, and her car was parked so that I couldn't get the jumper cables to reach. So I got in the driver's seat, and my son pushed. The bottom edge of the door caught in an embankment next to the driveway as we were rolling back, and bent the door around to about 90 degrees from normal...

I had to suck it up and get it fixed. Hey, I'm her Dad...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts