Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a few people request some more pics and info on my latest build, and this seemed to be a pretty good place to start. In short, I am turning a modern Hellcat into a replica of the infamous Interceptor from the Mad Max series. I always thought the Interceptor was the most awesome movie car of all time, and the Hellcat is the most badass muscle car ever, so putting the two together was a natural.

I have read about a couple people kicking the idea around and have seen the “Mad Max” body kit Challenger, but to my knowledge no one has ever truly built the real thing.

I have been planning this for just over a year and finally bought the car and began the project a few months back. Here begins the tale of my lunacy:

This was some of my original renders:

the big day finally came! After months of shopping and negotiating, I finally picked up a brand new and nicely loaded 2020 Hellcat as my donor car:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And yes, some might consider the project ambitious, but I have tackled a few custom projects in the past including:
my Fallout themed Chevy Astro, my OCP Detroit police cruiser, my Resident Evil Dodge Charger and my Walter White Aztec. Yes, I am no stranger to building weird shit.

5156F288-B602-494F-BA26-1ABA74161739.jpeg

so yeah, weird cars in my driveway are a pretty common sight...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the most important components of the Interceptor was its Zoomie exhaust. For me this was not only a must have for appearance, but they had to be functional as well. Needless to say no one makes anything like this off the shelf, so I had to reach out to my welding guru Michael Randles to fabricate these stainless beauties.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I needed to add some width to the body and I briefly considered using the standard widebody flares, but to me those were just too much snd not in line with the original cars look. Luckily I found Phillips Performance and their lil devil flare kit that was just the look I was going for and they fit perfectly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car needed a bit of that old school 70s rake, so I added a set of Eibach lowering springs in the front. I also figured it was going to be end of the year before the car got its repaint, so I just sprayed the lil devil flares in matching Smokeshow for the time being. The stance is subtle, but I like it. Threw on a set of my Madcat badges for good measure!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which speaking of, this was what started it all. I was trying to brainstorm what a post apocalypse suicide machine should be called, and I came up with the Madcat name and decided to fuse the hellcat logo, Immortan Joe’s mask from Fury Road and the classic badge reminiscent of the original MFP fender logo on the Interceptor. This was what I came up with:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sourcing original and some overseas parts from down under has been a bit challenging. One of my first scores was an OG 6-71 blower.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
The car needed a bit of that old school 70s rake, so I added a set of Eibach lowering springs in the front. I also figured it was going to be end of the year before the car got its repaint, so I just sprayed the lil devil flares in matching Smokeshow for the time being. The stance is subtle, but I like it. Threw on a set of my Madcat badges for good measure! View attachment 1011279
we have to get together... I want home made "zoomies" like that coming right off my heads and turning up going through the hood. That would be bada$$!!!!! Maybe when I ger my Whipple I can adapt a 6-71 to my Whipple manifold and mount the TB on top..... I want mine functional. My Whipplw is getting installed in May and I am already planning on getting rid of it. My wife is going to love this......
Like a tribute to this, I had when I was a kid.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The blower is pretty much the single most important visual cue of the car so it’s pretty crucial it be exact. Like the original, our 6-71 is going for visual appeal rather than functionality. Getting it disassembled, cleaned up and some milling done was the first step.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Am using a power steering motor from a Chevy Cruze to drive the blower. Modified the case housing to accept it and scored a screen accurate vintage Weiand swingarm blower gear cover.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yeah, looks amazing!!! Cant wait to see the final result!

Reactions: Cadillac Bob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Testing out how well the blower will sit atop the factory SC. Holy shit this thing is huge!

Ended up downsizing the 6-71 a bit by making a custom rear gear cover and managed to score an authentic Weiand swingarm cover just like the one on the interceptor. Shrunk it down a bit, but this bastard is still gigantic. Also found a flanged 3’ pulley on Ebay so I was pleased about that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Next it was time to start fabricating the riser mount for the new blower, which meant we had to do some dissassembly. Have to admit it felt little obscene to start opening her up with only 1800 miles on the odometer!

Didn’t take too long to get the structural work done for what is soon to be the most super shaker hood ever :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts