1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... the more they stay the same.

Exhibit A: E3CE6C59-D70D-46B3-9989-25AC888A10CC_1520647351009.jpeg

That was me almost 20 ago with my first true love - a 1971 Chevy Cheyenne pickup. She had a carbeurated 350, a TH-350 trans, a wooden bed, and 6.5” holes in each door where the previous owner had taken a saw to in order to mount some Sparkomatic speakers (which I promptly replaced with some good ones as soon as I got my new Kenwood tape deck that Xmas!)

I was 6’ 8” and weighed 180 lbs on a good day, which were few and far between for such a gangly introvert just entering high school.

Exhibit B: 98C7C45E-23F9-4E5C-B11D-FD82E730C8AE_1520647393203.jpeg

That was 2 years ago, and I was once again posing with a new love that had recently come into my life. This one has fewer cylinders and fewer cubic inches, and yet somehow manages to run better than that Chevy truck ever did. I’m sure that has something to do with the lack of a quadra-puke metering the fuel and the 2 extra gears available at almost any RPM.

I’m still 6’ 8”, but weigh 100 lbs more (which is down from the 135 more I once attained), and I’m pretty sure I’m no longer gangly or introverted, and I know I’m not the shy new kid on the block anymore.

Despite all that, I still have an intense desire, borderline compulsion, to constantly futz with my vehicle, whether that be for the purposes of maintenance, break/fixes, or just general experimentation.

The tools and procedures I use to work on my car have changed considerably since then, but the approach will always remain the same: gather as much info as possible first, then come up with a battle plan before you attack, and finally dive in and just do it!!

I tend to consume more alcohol nowadays when I work on my ride, but that’s only because I can.

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
Nuke - I think that picture is meme-worthy...

"Did you give your Challenger a hug today? It misses you..."

Technology (and engine management) have come leaps and bounds over the past 40 years. The old vacuum mechanical stuff was at best an average that was okay when everything worked right and in good condition...

I was so particular about my cars - my roadrunner ran perfectly even up the point of when spark plugs (very 18K) were due. That Chrysler electronic ignition was such an improvement over points. I put 100k on the 'runner over the span of 4 years - loved that car (it was my 2nd car and my 2nd Mopar as well). I went through and replaced suspension rubber on the 'runner to tighten things up to my liking before there was 100k on the odo. I had 158k on that car when I traded it in, and missed having it for years, until I got the first Challenger.

When I got my '09 Challenger (delivery in Nov '08) and there were none to test drive...
I remember the 10 mi drive home at night - it was like "this feels like being home again" feeling of my B-body roadrunner ('74) except the Challenger was tighter and more refined than what a car from 34 years ago was like.

In many ways today's Challenger is dimensionally close to the '71-'74 B body but without the long overhangs.

Its interesting in your truck picture - you think a slim kid...until you realize how tall the roofline was stock on Chevy pickups and how much taller your are than the roof of the truck.

Its like the pictures of Bob Frederick next to Challengers when he delivered them to customers - Bob is another tall guy...

[I have several friends in the 6'6" to 6'8" range. Had one guy in our club that was 7'1" and he could fit in the current Charger!] (corrected)

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
[I have several friends in the 6'6" to 6'8" range. Had one guy in our club that was 7'11" and he could fit in the current Charger!]
Damn, did they need two zipcodes? One for when they were standing and another for when they laid down to sleep? :D

This Challenger is my first mopar, but surprisingly not the first one in my family.

My father had a Dodge Aspen, and his father had a Fiat 126(?). My mother had a Fiat Uno, and her father had a 1974(?) 4-Door Dodge Dart.

I was too young to ever appreciate any of them and I'm sure they're all scrap that was used to build another car, and now that car is being scrapped too..

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
I meant 7' 1" - the laptop keyboard isn't so great to use vs. full size keyboard

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I meant 7' 1" - the laptop keyboard isn't so great to use vs. full size keyboard
7’ 1”, wow...I wonder if he ever played basketball...AHAHAHAHA!!!

<sigh>

I slay me sometimes...

Don’t ask him that btw, WE HATE THAT!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,996 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts