Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since there have been some radar detector threads pop up again lately, I thought I would start this thread. Let me make it very clear that despite the catchy title, this is not an anti-radar detector thread. And I don't want this to turn into an "us versus the cops" thread. If you have a detector, that's your choice. It's your money and you can spend it however you want, more power to you. I just wanted to point out a few things based on my experience that maybe those who are on the fence about buying a detector will take into consideration before making a purchase.

I'm 54 years old and the last speeding ticket I got was in 1975, when I got stopped for 15 over on the interstate. Sure, I've deserved several speeding tickets since then but have not gotten any. Here's a few of my observations.

RELAX. When I'm traveling, I set the cruise at 5 to 7 over the posted limit. I crank up the tunes, relax, and enjoy the ride. When I reach my destination, I'm not tense from having to watch for troopers over every hill or around every curve, and from having to hit the brakes every time the detector goes off. I used to run radar detectors and they just made me jumpy.

I DON"T TRAVEL AT "TWEENER" SPEEDS. As I said, I usually set my cruise at 5 to 7 over. On occasion, I have been known to make a short (less than a mile) blast to triple-digit speeds. At these speeds, a detector won't give you enough notice most of the time. If it goes off, you're sunk. So basically, I don't travel at the speeds in between my 5 to 7 over and triple digits. These tweener speeds are the area where most people count on their detector to save them, and I usually don't go there.

VISIBLE ANNOYANCE. Let's face it, whether they will admit it or not, most officers are annoyed by detectors. So if they're on the fence about giving you a ticket and they see a detector mounted to your windshield, they're probably going to fall off the fence on the side of giving you a ticket. So not only did the detector help you get a ticket, it also took 15 minutes away from any time you gained by running 15 over.

DO THE MATH. If you're on a 1000 mile trip, and the speed limit for the entire trip is 70, and you travel 77, your travel time is 12.98 hours. Traveling 15 over at 85 yields a travel time of 11.76 hours. So you saved less than an hour and a half by traveling at 15 over versus 7 over. I know the "fun" factor is a part of traveling 15 over, but that's subjective and doesn't enter into our math equation.

STAY COOL. Most flagrant speeders I see put the hammer down in the left lane and stay there. That makes them a most excellent target. At some point the law of averages will catch up to you and you will get stopped. Between travelling at 5 to 7 over and staying under the radar (bad pun), I don't get stopped, and I have bright red and purple cars. Here's my tips for running in a stealthier mode: Leave headlights off unless it's dark, and turn off those damn fog lights. Don't weave in and out of traffic, and when you do make a lane change, do it smoothly and use your signals. Some people argue that using their signals attracts attention, but not using your signals is one more reason to get stopped. It's one of the main reason drug runners get nailed. Keep out of the left lane. If you're in the left lane, the assumption is that you're speeding. Keep in the right lane as much as possible. The key word here is "smooth". Don't draw any more attention to yourself than you have to.

So is spending $400 for a detector worth it? Only you can make that decision. My decision is to drive 5 to 7 over, relax, stay cool, and enjoy the trip. Then I can spend my detector money on other mods.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I guess it depends where you live. Good advice tho. I like having a nice Ricer pace car and use the detector so when they get nailed... you slow down real quick.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a V1 for a long time and now my dad has it. They only reason I really liked it was because around our town they love to sit in a 20mph zone that dropped from a 30 zone. They would right ticket for 5 over... so my V1 would give me a heads up and keep me safe. Small towns is the main reason I like it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nice post. I also use the follow method. Usually you will find someone more than willing to speed enough that you can tail them from a distance so they can get the ticket.

You want video proof that radar detectors don't work? Get the SuperSpeeders 3 dvd. They had a souped up Ford GT 500 that they ran the Bullrun in and they got tickets left and right. They not only had a radar detector, they also had laser reflectors.

The guy that makes the videos has lost his license multiple times. Yes he pushes the limit, but the detectors do nothing for him. Once they go off it is too late most of the time.

I agree with going about 7 over or, following some sucker that will get the ticket for you.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....radar/laser detectors are just a tool. As long as you understand how they work, how the tools of the trade of law enforcement work and can incorporate them into your routine, they can be helpful. However, it is just a tool and is no substitute for situational awareness or experience. If you speed and depend solely on a detector to warn you of trouble, you will be sorely disappointed.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
....radar/laser detectors are just a tool. As long as you understand how they work, how the tools of the trade of law enforcement work and can incorporate them into your routine, they can be helpful. However, it is just a tool and is no substitute for situational awareness or experience. If you speed and depend solely on a detector to warn you of trouble, you will be sorely disappointed.
That is true, but unfortunately too many drivers have little or no situational awareness.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
A successful speeder has to constantly scan mirrors and the distance. Also the successful speeder needs to anticipate where speed traps might be (under bridges, etc). Police tend to use the same spots over and over again.... and on roads one frequently or regularly drives, one should mentally catalog those locations.

Also night-time is bad for speeding - the cloak of darkness improves the odds for the hunter, and decreases chances for the prey. One sees headlights in one's mirror - is it just a civilian or someone else? Big gamble.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have a V1 and it's never been on my windshield. It sits in one of my cup holders. I know it won't work for laser, but it does just fine for radar. My main reason for having it is to alert me if the law is around. Plus if I hold it up it will let me know if the cop is head or behind.

Like you Jon I'm not a big speeder by any means. I keep it in the mid to low 70's on the highway and five miles over in town. But when I'm not paying attention, the car can go to 80 without me realizing it. Feels like 60 really.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Bought a 150 dollar whistler and use it as an AID to paying attention and using strategies already mentioned. (I.e. Rabbit Car). If you speed and trust the radar detector to save you every time, all your detector is is a ticket indicator. Fact is, I rarely speed because I'm always in %^$#ing traffic. On the occasional road trip its helpful though!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Owned a V1 since they first came out. Mailed it in a few years ago for an upgrade. No tickets,wrecks,never get too much over the limit. I just like to know where they are.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I think you can close the thread after this post. I could not have said it better and there is really no need for any further input.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
i sometimes get a hit several miles away and slow till see the trap. saved me many times over. so its cheep insurance for me. just keep awake and still drive safe.
ps got stoped on way to camero fest for speeding, nothing registered on the detector and i was doing 68 in a 70 mph. cop wanted me to admit i had drugs, not. gave me a warning in SC near GA border

·
Registered
712 Posts
I agree that detectors/jammers etc provide a huge false sense of security, which is why I've never felt the need for one. If you're the type that just likes to be aware of their presence or their surroundings, fine. But too many cops today use "instant-on" radar (or LIDAR), which means, like has been said, once it goes off, you're SOL - he's gotcha. Your only real hope is that the cop zaps the poor bastard in front of you to give you time to slow it down and ends up nailing him instead of you.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
No, it's good to have a radar detector as an additional resource/source of information. Even with instant on, there's a good chance unless the road is deserted that you'll intercept the signal of instant on being used on the vehicles traveling ahead of you.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Why would you even start thread like this? So we are all doing it wrong for speeding. Maybe some are not lke you, so of us have to be going just a little faster than everone else. Thats how I feel safe, so nobody is creeping up in my blind spots, and when I have to react I can, instantly. I live a a radar infested area. I always want to know where they are. Maybe I have been drinking or smoking, the radar would let me know he's there.

Mine has saved(maybe he wasn't going to get me) a boatload of times, and have one in every car I own including my 18 year olds car. I will NEVER own a car without one, EVER.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Why would you even start thread like this? So we are all doing it wrong for speeding. Maybe some are not lke you, so of us have to be going just a little faster than everone else. Thats how I feel safe, so nobody is creeping up in my blind spots, and when I have to react I can, instantly. I live a a radar infested area. I always want to know where they are. Maybe I have been drinking or smoking, the radar would let me know he's there.

Mine has saved(maybe he wasn't going to get me) a boatload of times, and have one in every car I own including my 18 year olds car. I will NEVER own a car without one, EVER.

Jeff
If you've been drinking, you shouldn't be behind the wheel at all. Ask xPlumCrazyx.

To the "followers", better do some research, most state patrol radar can read TWO cars at one time now.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
651 Posts
... Keep in the right lane as much as possible. The key word here is "smooth". Don't draw any more attention to yourself than you have to..
Exactly, always keep yourself covered,

Another vehicle in front and behind reduces your profile, when it's clear jump out, get on step, and cover again behind the next car, if that car is speeding all the better, he's on-point and is the one most in harm's way.
Always try to have another car on your 6 for cover.

Now understamd I'm only advocating driving over the limit when situational awareness deems it safe and prudent. :lookaround:

And yes, usually 10 mph is the threshold for getting paper written on you, anything less can usually be fought in court on grounds of equipment calibration, etc.
Another rule of thumb is don't exceed posted by ~10% and you'll usually be fine.

Doppler and pulsed K, only if your lucky to get some over-scatter are you going to get any adequate warning.
Most of the time your detector is really just alerting you to pull over and get your license out cause you've been bagged and tagged.
:smoker:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts