Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to a car show in my town the other day and came across this lovely green beast. It's a 1970 T/A clone tribute car, comes with a fuel injected forged 340 small block stroked out to 416, 727 Torqueflite automatic with a shift kit (and overdrive, I think?), and a 3.91 Posi rear end. Looking at this car you can definitely see that the modern ones hold mostly true to the old in terms of styling, and I think that's why they're outselling the Camaro even though the Camaro's Alpha platform is light-years ahead of the Challenger's LA platform in terms of performance. Comfort and style will appeal to a larger amount of people than pure performance will if that performance car is lacking style and comfort. The classic formula of sharp, aggressive body lines with some slight curves, a long hood, and a short trunk will never go out of style.

Honestly I think I like the thinner body lines of this car more than the larger modern version. The modern ones can look a little overstuffed from certain angles, especially if they haven't been lowered and retain the factory 4x4 look. But, at some angles, this car looks a little too thin and it can't easily fit anything larger than a 17 or 18" rim.

At the end of the day though, I wouldn't complain about owning either of them!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
When I was an intern there was a guy at our facility who had a 70 challenger TA 6 pack in orange...beautiful car. A few years later he bought a 70 hemi cuda, plum crazy with a 4 speed. I thought the guy was nuts for paying $40k back in 1992...seeing what they go for now...that was a steal!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I was an intern there was a guy at our facility who had a 70 challenger TA 6 pack in orange...beautiful car. A few years later he bought a 70 hemi cuda, plum crazy with a 4 speed. I thought the guy was nuts for paying $40k back in 1992...seeing what they go for now...that was a steal!
Damn! I bet he's happy he bought it when he did

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Damn! I bet he's happy he bought it when he did
He took off work for 2 weeks and drove from Illinois to Cali to buy it and trailer it home (that took 1 week). On the 2nd week he went through the car from top to bottom (sat on jackstands for years...tires were original and dry rotted). He brought it to work the day he came back from his 2 weeks off and took me for a ride during lunch...that was one hell of a ride...never been in a car with that much torque. Never seen the guy smile as much as he did driving the Cuda.
He used to frequent the downtown Downers Grove mainstreet. Last I saw the guy was spring of 2009...hope he is still around and still has the car.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I had a co-worker who had a 70 Hemi Cuda back in the day all dolled up like an AAR. He sold it for $1500 back in the day. Ouch!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Beautiful car. Bet that 340 runs strong punched out like that. The original E-bodies were gorgeous cars...Dodge and Plymouth did not put a line wrong anywhere on those cars.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beautiful car. Bet that 340 runs strong punched out like that. The original E-bodies were gorgeous cars...Dodge and Plymouth did not put a line wrong anywhere on those cars.
Oh yeah, 500 crank HP easy. And it's only a 3600-3800 pound car so it probably really scoots

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Oh yes, those cars are not nearly as heavy as ours...and with that 340 it's a nice combination for handling..those cars would plow with the big blocks over the front wheels..

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yes, those cars are not nearly as heavy as ours...and with that 340 it's a nice combination for handling..those cars would plow with the big blocks over the front wheels..
So I've been told, but those big blocks can be made surprisingly light for their size with aluminum parts, and if you spend the money for an aluminum block then you'll have just about 50-50 weight distribution

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
Spartan040
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing