Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
The Pony Car War Is On!

Below are excerpts taken from the upcoming March 2006 issue of HOT ROD.

From the '70 through the '74 model years, Dodge produced a total of 157,735 Challengers (lets ignore the Mitsubishi that wore the name in the '80s). That's nothing. After all, Ford sold 559,451 Mustangs during the '65 model year alone. But the Challenger has always had a higher profile than its sales numbers would suggest. Maybe because it played a bad-ass in movies like Vanishing Point and Natural Born Killers. Maybe because with engines like the 440 Six-Pak and 426 Hemi available it ignited more dreams than it did sales. Or maybe it's just because it was so danged good looking. But to many minds, no ponycar was a greater musclecar than the Challenger and its equally legendary brother, the Barracuda. So Dodge had to be careful reinventing it for 21st Century hero work.

"Challenger draws upon the initial '70 model as the icon of the series," says Tom Tremont, vice president, advanced vehicle design. "The '70 model is the most sought after by collectors. But instead of merely recreating that car, the designers endeavored to build a Challenger most people see in their mind's eye--a vehicle without the imperfections like the old car's tucked-under wheels, long front overhang, and imperfect fits. As with all pleasurable memories, you remember the good and screen out the bad. We wanted the concept car to evoke all those sweet memories . . . everything you thought the Challenger was, and more."

·
Registered
153 Posts
I guess if it's a pony car war that leaves the Challenger out. I guess Dodge has started another new segment. The overweight pony car segment. It's called the Pig Car. Oink, Oink! 4160 pounds of carbon fiber, if thats true I hate to see what it weighs when they hang sheet metal on it. Come on Chrysler lets get with the program and put this car on a serious diet!

Just my humble opinion!

·
Registered
159 Posts
4v383 said:
Any photographer will tell ya , a great backdrop makes for a great photo!
I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :cool:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Challenger_Nut said:
I guess if it's a pony car war that leaves the Challenger out. I guess Dodge has started another new segment. The overweight pony car segment. It's called the Pig Car. Oink, Oink! 4160 pounds of carbon fiber, if thats true I hate to see what it weighs when they hang sheet metal on it. Come on Chrysler lets get with the program and put this car on a serious diet!

Just my humble opinion!
Just out of curiosity, where did you see a weight of 4160lbs for the Challenger with the carbon fiber body?

Also keep in mind, the prototype is on the LX platform, not the LY.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Challenger_Nut said:

Just my humble opinion!
The Concept was 4,160 pounds. And the Concept Camaro was 79 inches wide. Don't count on either number making the final cut. These are "concept cars". Let's see what the production cars do. If the Challenger is built on the LX, then it will probably be around 4000 lbs. The LY based car should drop a couple of hundred pounds from that. We'll see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
under 4k sure would be nice.... I can't wait to see these things at the track.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm still confused on the 4160lbs rating. To my knowledge, Dodge did not release weight with the specifications of the prototype. Not saying it isn't there, I could have very well missed it. I guess I'm just wanting to see it in print somewhere from DCX. I just find it kind of odd, considering a Charger SRT8 weighs in at 4160lbs, without a carbon fiber body, an automatic transmission, and an extra 4" in the chassis. Think about it, it doesn't add up.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I must be in the minority here because I honestly don't give a damn how much this car weighs. Even the original 70-74 Challengers were always a little bigger and heavier than comparable Mustangs, Camaros and Firebirds and such, it'll be the same this time around - sure it would be nice if the concept could drop 2-300 pounds, but honestly - who the hell cares? I mean are any of you NOT gonna buy the car because it's too HEAVY..? As I said, I don't care if it is or not. All I care about is having a car that can haul ass and look good doing it. If anyone would rather buy a Mustang or the new Camaro because it's lighther and smaller than the Challenger, be my guest. Otherwise give me my 8 jumping Hemi pistons and get the hell outta my way! ;-)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Weight really isn't a concern for me either. Mopars had the badass reps back in the day.......kinda like the Oakland Raiders with John Madden. Nothing compared. I don't race for a living......just like driving fast and would love to do just that in a Challenger SRT8!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jimbo said:
The Concept was 4,160 pounds. And the Concept Camaro was 79 inches wide. Don't count on either number making the final cut. These are "concept cars". Let's see what the production cars do. If the Challenger is built on the LX, then it will probably be around 4000 lbs. The LY based car should drop a couple of hundred pounds from that. We'll see.
IF DCX wants this car in Joe Q. Publics garage sometime in 2007 as a '08 model it will be on the LX platform not the LY. The LY isn't even close to being ready in that timeframe.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yea,.....who really cares about the dang weight... when the specs on the concept are 12.9-13.0 1/4 et's!!!,......Stock!!....what you kiddin me?!...this car rocks!! Can you imagine if they drop in the 6.4L(392) 500++hp mammoth beast in the srt-8 version?!.....move over shelby...there's a new dog in town.;) :cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also don't care about the weight. It shouldn't be too hard to get more hp to compensate for a little heavier car, if it's important.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Vanishing Point.

I remember over 30 years ago the Saturday I went to the movies having no idea what the matinee was about. As long as I could get in, I went to the movies. One day the feature was "Vanishing Point." A year later I had my Challenger.

·
Registered
598 Posts
davidb said:
Hey Vanishing Point.

I remember over 30 years ago the Saturday I went to the movies having no idea what the matinee was about. As long as I could get in, I went to the movies. One day the feature was "Vanishing Point." A year later I had my Challenger.
I hear ya brother...same here...I have an original copy of the 70 challenger from the movie....now I can't wait to see the "new VP Challenger". This new challenger is awesome,and improved in every way from the original.;) :cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can you imagine if there were videos back then how many times we would have watched that movie?

In the 70's between my older sister and me, we owned a Camaro, Mustang, Charger, Olds 442, and Datsun Zs. I guess it's obvious which is the only one I regret selling? Until now. I will get a new one and the only question is whether I will upgrade with a S/C, etc. to get another 100-200hp. From what I saw at the GS Motorsports site, about 10 grand can give you a world class ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How could I forget to include my 340 Rallye Challenger? I suppose subconsciously it doesn't even rate being in a list of the other cars.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts