Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A thread was posted a while back that revealed what were believed to be the very first (spy) photos of the "mysterious" Hellcat "supercar." While some may have been led to believe they were real......an article from Motor Trend, no less, seems to put that rumor to rest.

Here's the picture, and the story......................

With the internet partially on fire from spy photos of the upcoming Dodge Challenger Hellcat, it breaks our hearts (a little) to break the news that that ain’t it . The car in the photo is just a regular-flavor Challenger with a Viper-looking hood scoop. But don't take OUR word for it, according to a senior source buried deep within Chrysler, the car in the photo is some sort of base model SRT Challenger. Definitely not the Hellcat. The Hellcat is something else entirely.

More on Motortrend.com:

2015 Dodge Challenger First Look

How does our source know ? “I’ve stood next to it.” Why tell us this? “ just got tired of seeing "non hellcats" shown off as hellcats.”

Will the new car actually be called Hellcat? Our source will neither confirm or deny that one. They are willing to say there’s no reason to believe the car will have a V-10 out of the Viper.

Where does this leave the upcoming Hellcat (or whatever) then? The nose and hood will be different than anything anyone’s so far seen. Under the hood will most likely sit a supercharged version of SRT’s 6.4-liter V-8 making more power than the Shelby GT500 — 700 hp isn’t a bad guess. It could even be a good guess. Finally, it will maybe get the name Hellcat. Internally, the car’s being referred to as the Hellcat, but that doesn’t mean anything. We’d say the name's still 50/50 at this point. Whatever it’s called, can we wait to drive it? No

The following is a link to the original article which includes additional pictures and information.

Aside from the disappointment some of you folks may experience, and if you can stand the "pain," here's the link to the article for even more information + a few additional pictures:

The Real Scoop on the Dodge Challenger Hellcat Spy Photos

Enjoy (?)

Best regards,

Gary aka "beamg5"

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
That's good, cause I dont like that hood anyways!! And not sure why anyone.would.confuse this car with the Hellcat, it clearly has the current SRT calipers. The Hellcat has 6 pots.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, although the hood (IMO) is something short of awful . When I first saw this thing, I thought " how in the world is Dodge going to "throw" a 6.2/6.4L supercharged engine in this, perhaps add a stripe or a couple of special badges on an, otherwise, vanilla-looking Challenger and have the nerve to ask $70/75K for it !!

Oh well.............I don't really see a Hellcat, or whatever their actually going to call it, in my future anyway. It's not too much of a leap beyond the rumored pricing to that of a gently used Viper; this, if you absolutely have to have 600-700HP on tap :scratchhead: !!

Regards,

Gary aka "beamg5"

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Under the hood will most likely sit a supercharged version of SRT’s 6.4-liter V-8
These guys at MT are idiots! They write this crap and have no clue what they are even talking about!

Finally, it will maybe get the name Hellcat.
Who writes this crap??? "It will MAYBE"?????? Whatever!

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I don't care. I'm tired of getting all worked up over rumors. I want that hood thought. Sorry to break your heart RoostKing :D

·
Super Moderator
14,905 Posts
That's good, cause I dont like that hood anyways!! And not sure why anyone.would.confuse this car with the Hellcat, it clearly has the current SRT calipers. The Hellcat has 6 pots.
The hood scoop design isn't very original. It looks like it was taken from a 2008 Dodge Charger SRT.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wasn't that hood originally a cuda hood from the 1970's, but it was flat black with strobe stripes down the cars side?
I just checked on line and that style was originally the AAR 1970 cuda hood. The twin to the challenger TA. It works well on that car. With a mat wrap in carbon fibre on today's challenger it would look awesome.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I like that hood, too. And the opening looks far enough forward to actually feed the engine instead of just vent hot air out of the engine compartment.

I'm past impatient about the Hellcat, too.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I'm not concerned about the HellCat, really. I mean, I'd rather build a car for the price of a HellCat that's based off of a 6.1L Motor so I don't have tuning issues.

·
Premium Member
10,024 Posts
I look forward to the 2015's on the road so I don't have to read any more rumor stories again.

Reactions: RoostKing

·
Registered
588 Posts
I look forward to the 2015's on the road so I don't have to read any more rumor stories again.
Can you wait 3 months?

The Debut is set for August

.....that is if they don't delay it for a 3rd time :brickwall:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
That things gonna be a Freak'in monster.
Looks like a massaged SRT8, instead of a space race Z28 track only treatment. Much more livable.

Wonder what they'll go for used in a couple of years? :banana:

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Frankly I'm tired of hearing about the Hellcat.
It's been what, almost 3 years we've been hearing about it?
It's becoming an internet joke; the most talked about car that might be produced, one day, maybe.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I like that hood, too. And the opening looks far enough forward to actually feed the engine instead of just vent hot air out of the engine compartment.

I'm past impatient about the Hellcat, too.
Yes, good point! The air would not have to make a u turn like Shaker, straight in. KISS principle.

I don't find it bad looking at all.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts