1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

The show's highlights - 2006 Chicago Auto Show

February 9, 2006
BY DAN JEDLICKA AUTO REPORTER

Dodge Challenger: Dodge also needs a rear-drive Mustang fighter, as was its slick, classic 1970-74 Challenger. Dodge has done an amazing job making this sexy concept coupe resemble the old Challenger while keeping it looking modern. A 425-horsepower Chrysler Hemi V-8 lurks under the hood. Bet on production status, judging by showgoer reaction at the Detroit show. It may be produced within three years, if not sooner.
Where do you go with only about an hour or so to visit the top 10 exhibits at the Chicago Auto Show? After all, it generally takes three to four hours to cover this larger-than-ever event, even with good walking shoes.

A quick trip through the show often depends on what type of vehicles interest you. Sexy sedans? "Crossover'' vehicles? Sports cars? SUVs? Hybrids? Concept cars?

The show here once provided entertainment by performers such as magicians and dancers. But high-tech vehicle exhibits have taken over, with such things as elaborate lighting and vehicle highlight films shown on giant screens, accompanied by thunderous sound systems.

The auto industry has become far more competitive with a much larger number of players, and the big automakers want to grab as much of your attention as possible for sales pitches at exhibits.

Well, fine. But you're in a hurry, so here are 10 show attractions that really shouldn't be missed.

Click here to view photo gallery »
Click here to view exhibitor map »
Click here to view parking map »

Promising concept trio: The Chevrolet Camaro, Dodge Challenger and Chrysler Imperial are the show's concept car highlights. The Camaro and Challenger likely will be built as rivals to the popular Ford Mustang, which has no significant American competitors. And DaimlerChrysler's Chrysler group could use a flagship sedan such as the Imperial.

Read more here

Related story - Concepts Come Home

Source: SunTimes.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Saw it in Chicago on Saturday. Took about 50 pictures of it... I want to know where I can convince DCX to build this machine. I will DEFINATELY get one, no questions asked.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hope it makes a stop in Vegas. I'd love to check it out in person...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
pearly baker said:
I want to know where I can convince DCX to build this machine. I will DEFINATELY get one, no questions asked.

If you can find a way were all behind you!!!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
WildBillTX said:
To anyone at DCX: PLEASE bring the Challenger to the Dallas auto show! (April 5-9) I've got to see it! :D
Is there any way to confirm it will be in Dallas? Don't think I would go without knowing for sure it will be there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm with you on Dallas. If anyone can confirm the car being at the Dallas show, I will definitely be there.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Waiting On A Word From You

BigL said:
I'm with you on Dallas. If anyone can confirm the car being at the Dallas show, I will definitely be there.
~ Well, I can't confirm anything, but here's an article (from a few weeks ago) from The Dallas Morning News - Terry's Garage. The article does mention that the 'Challenger' will be at a few other venues, but Dallas isn't mentioned. ~

Waiting on a word from you

Chevy and Dodge would like to hear your thoughts as they review their concept cars

Hope rolled into dispirited Detroit about a month ago.

It arrived at the North American International Auto Show in the scintillating shapes of a silver Camaro and a bright orange Challenger. The two pumped-up concept cars featured styling cues from the pony cars of 35 years ago – the Challenger, in fact, looks like a 1970 model squeezed through an '06 filter.

Both were monster hits at the show – something beleaguered General Motors badly needed and the Chrysler Group enjoyed.

But will Chevrolet and Dodge actually build them? Maybe.

In the meantime, both companies are asking consumers to weigh in. It could be summer or later before the automakers decide, and Chevy has more challenges – so to speak – than Dodge.

"It's still in a review process," said Sam Locricchio, a Dodge spokesman. "We're only a month out" from the Detroit show.

Consumers could make a difference in deciding whether the new concept versions of Chevrolet's Camaro (above) and Dodge's Challenger actually make it to dealerships.
The Challenger rides on the same LX platform that supports the Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum and Dodge Charger. Moreover, the show car has the same 425-horsepower Hemi V-8 that powers high-performance 300s, Magnums and Chargers. In short, some of the biggest pieces in the Challenger are already in Dodge's parts bins.

"When you go into feasibility, it helps to have done the platform already," Mr. Locricchio said.

The Challenger will visit more major shows , including Chicago and New York. Dodge will monitor those reactions and media reports. Then, Dodge will determine whether it has the factory capacity to build the Challenger. It also has to decide whether the suppliers that provided these parts can make large numbers of them, and if there will still be a market for a coupe two or three years from now. And maybe most important: Can Dodge make a profit at the level of sales it expects?

"Where the real finessing comes in is after a certain number of shows, after some of the buzz wanes," Mr. Locricchio said. "That's when you have to determine how much buzz still exists. If so, you do a more formal business case."

Cast your vote at www.dodge.com. Mr. Locricchio said you should be able to click on a "contact us" link and send Dodge an e-mail.

Source: The Dallas Morning News
04:04 PM CST on Sunday, February 5, 2006

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Dallas Auto Show

I sent an email to Dodge

I have already commented on how much I love the Challenger. I wish an
announcement is made soon.

Will the car be showing in the Dallas Auto Show?
This was the reply: (Will see about contacting someone with the show but you would think Dodge would keep better track of their cars!)

Thank you for your recent email expressing interest in the Dodge
Challenger concept vehicle.

We too are excited about the prospect of bringing the Dodge Challenger
to market. We greatly appreciate your feedback on the Dodge Challenger.
It is comments like yours that are paramount to longevity of the Dodge
brand.

Though we cannot guarantee your suggestions will be implemented, we
encourage you to continue to contact us through the Dodge website
(http://www.dodge.com). Because our industry and the needs of drivers
are constantly changing, there is always a possibility of new products
being designed to specifically meet needs like yours.

Unfortunately, because this vehicle is still in the concept stage, there
is no pricing or production data available.
Many of our concept vehicles have made it to market, such as the
Plymouth Prowler, Dodge Viper, and the Chrysler PT Cruiser. I have
documented your interest and will forward it to the product planning
department.

To view specific information on the Dodge Challenger please visit the
link below:

http://www.dodge.com/dodge_life/news/autoshow_news/challenger.html

Unfortunately, we do not have a list of Dodge vehicles that will be
showcased at these auto shows. I recommend contacting the facilities
that the 2006 Dallas Auto Show is taking place at for additional
information.

The website for the 2006 Dallas Auto Show is:

http://www.dallasautoshow.org

If you have further questions, please feel free to use the reply link
below. You may also call us on our toll-free number at 1-800-964-0600.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts