Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm coming home from work, and it wasn't that bad out, until I got to my street. As soon as I turned, at maybe 15 MPH, I knew it wasn't going to be good, it's like solid glass ice. There's a slight downhill grade to it, it's not much, but it was enough to make my speed increase to 20 or so. Parked in the worst spot on the entire street, on the outside of a curve, is a neighbor's kid's POS old Pontiac Grand Prix. There were snow bunkers on both sides of the street, so he's parked further away from the curb than normal, so I have little "wiggle room" to avoid hitting him. I got the car pretty straight, after it fishtailed a lot but I was going to hit him if I didn't get over to the left side about a foot. I had about 2 seconds to do all of the above, and I did get it moved over, but I hit the snow bunker with my left front wheel, and my back end kicked out just as I passed him and my right side mirror went "BLUNK!!" and folded up, as it hit his mirror, and then the back end of my car, right behind the rear wheel, sideswiped his car. I had managed to make it through almost 4 winters without a wreck (I don't count the old coot who hit and ran me in a Kroger's parking lot three weeks after I got the car), but not this time. I looked at the GP and didn't see any damage, but my car has a crease and a scratch on it, and where the rear cap attaches, it's bent a little. I'm going to look this morning in the sunlight to see what's up with the GP and my car, and then figure out which neighbor's kid it belongs to. I don't know because it's parked at the end of one yard and the beginning of another. I don't even know one neighbor's last name.:argh:

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
sucks...hope it get fixed without issue

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I feel for ya, buddy. I banged a wheel on a curb on the last snow that hit my area...wasn't even serious snow and I forever bang my head on the wall for that.

I think I would be completely crushed if I had to deal with the aftermath that you describe.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I've been thinking about putting snow tires for next winter. But man, when it's icy, not much helps.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I haven't contacted the probable owners yet, I don't know their last name. I hope the other neighbor, whose last name I finally remembered, does, or I'll have to look them up on the local tax database. Anyway, here are pics of the damage:

It doesn't seem to look as bad in the pics as it really does. I called my insurance agent yesterday, and he verified my address, etc, and said, "Where did this happen?". I said, "Basically, about 100 feet from my driveway!". He laughed. One good thing, it won't count as anything to affect my rates, since, "You've been a customer since....well, before I was born, so it's no big deal!" On Monday, I will take it to the dealer close to work, and get an estimate. I got a look at the car I hit, and it seems odd to me that the damage on it seems like it's much more severe than my sideswipe could have done, but it's like 15 years old, so who knows? I just hope they aren't *****s about it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sucks. What tires are you running with?
The original Goodyear "All Season". I will almost surely be buying new tires by this Fall. Probably the Michelins a friend has on his car, they seem to be great tires, but they aint cheap.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, I made it though almost 4 winters with them, so they aren't all that bad.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
The only tire that's going to get traction on ice are studded ones... or chains. The tires on your car are better than most that come as original equipment.

Here's a little tip: Melting snow will run across roads during the day when it's warm but freeze at night so make a mental note of these spots as you drive.

08BLKRT, I've read your tribute to King and find it very touching. Nice tribute!

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I haven't contacted the probable owners yet, I don't know their last name. I hope the other neighbor, whose last name I finally remembered, does, or I'll have to look them up on the local tax database. Anyway, here are pics of the damage:

It doesn't seem to look as bad in the pics as it really does. I called my insurance agent yesterday, and he verified my address, etc, and said, "Where did this happen?". I said, "Basically, about 100 feet from my driveway!". He laughed. One good thing, it won't count as anything to affect my rates, since, "You've been a customer since....well, before I was born, so it's no big deal!" On Monday, I will take it to the dealer close to work, and get an estimate. I got a look at the car I hit, and it seems odd to me that the damage on it seems like it's much more severe than my sideswipe could have done, but it's like 15 years old, so who knows? I just hope they aren't *****s about it.
Watch how you talk to the neighbor as its a hit and run and am surprised your insurance company didn't comment on that or you'd have made mention here. What damage was done to their car?

·
Registered
535 Posts
My cars never seen snow or ice & I hope to keep it that way

·
Registered
410 Posts
It's always sucks to scratch or even wreck your car.Bad feeling in you gut! Been there done that. I feel for ya.Hope you get everything fixed perfect just like it was!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Watch how you talk to the neighbor as its a hit and run and am surprised your insurance company didn't comment on that or you'd have made mention here. What damage was done to their car?
I work in law enforcement and I can't imagine any law enforcement officer that would call this a hit and run as he's making the effort to contact the owner. The vehicle was unoccupied and no owner was immediately present or known so there is little else he could do except call for law enforcement, but many departments will not respond for situations like these as they are civil and handled entirely by the insurance companies.

Basically all he has to do is contact the owners and he is fine.

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
I work in law enforcement and I can't imagine any law enforcement officer that would call this a hit and run as he's making the effort to contact the owner. The vehicle was unoccupied and no owner was immediately present or known so there is little else he could do except call for law enforcement, but many departments will not respond for situations like these as they are civil and handled entirely by the insurance companies.

Basically all he has to do is contact the owners and he is fine.
Did he walk to the houses it was near and inquire when it happened? Did he leave a note on the car saying who he is and how he can be contacted? If he did he'd already know who owns the car. I'm going by what was said and all I read was he was going to look into it. Here in NJ it would be called hit and run or leaving the scene of an accident no matter how minor the damage. Where are you from?
Most importantly, he wasn't hurt and both cars are repairable.

·
Registered
201 Posts
winter driving

my first year in my challenger driving in the worst winter I remember.-30º and 6" of snow.the blizzaks are amazing and the car has been a trooper.always starts and have had no issues at all.the traction control will get you out of trouble faster than you got into it.the only problem is the salt on the roads....so I find myself washing her twice a week.if you have to drive this animal in the shitty weather...blizzaks and a good coat of wax.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only tire that's going to get traction on ice are studded ones... or chains. The tires on your car are better than most that come as original equipment.

Here's a little tip: Melting snow will run across roads during the day when it's warm but freeze at night so make a mental note of these spots as you drive.

08BLKRT, I've read your tribute to King and find it very touching. Nice tribute!
Thanks! He was a real pain in the ass sometimes, but I really miss him.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hit and run? It happened about 100 feet from my front door! So far, I've left two messages and not heard back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts