Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The same day I received my driver’s license in 1972, I purchased a 1968 Chevelle SS with a built 396 – 4-speed muncie. Simply put, it hauled ass and was a handful to control. Each day I drove that baby I had a huge smile on my face until the day I sold it three years later. Fast-forward 35 years and the smile has returned to my face. Does the thrill ever wear off? I hope not. It’s so nice to drive down the freeway and roads and NOT drive the same car as everyone else. No offense to those who drive a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Vovlo, etc., however life is too darn short to blend into the sea of ...blaugh. I get a kick out of the guy in a Honda Accord who floors it off the line to get ahead of me. I just chuckle and say you go tiger …if he only knew. I enjoy the hell out of my Challenger. Go big or go home...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The same day I received my driver’s license in 1972, I purchased a 1968 Chevelle SS with a built 396 – 4-speed muncie. Simply put, it hauled ass and was a handful to control. Each day I drove that baby I had a huge smile on my face until the day I sold it three years later. Fast-forward 35 years and the smile has returned to my face. Does the thrill ever wear off? I hope not. It’s so nice to drive down the freeway and roads and NOT drive the same car as everyone else. No offense to those who drive a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Vovlo, etc., however life is too darn short to blend into the sea of ...blaugh. I get a kick out of the guy in a Honda Accord who floors it off the line to get ahead of me. I just chuckle and say you go tiger …if he only knew. I enjoy the hell out of my Challenger. Go big or go home...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I can relate as my first car was a 1966 Chevelle Malibu. The only difference was I wasn't born until 1974, I bought mine in 1992. hehe Different times but still the same thrill! :bigthumb:

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
The Challenger is awesome. Truly sucks not having one in the garage.

Only thing that helps is knowing a new one is on the way.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The thrill certainly hasn't worn off for me. No matter how bad the day has been when I open the shop doors and see the Challenger I can't help but smile. Same goes for my bike... when I get on it and head down the road all of life's issues stay in the driveway.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
So you sold yours? Congrats on that.
Yep, thanks. Nice to sell it, but the weather is holding and I could be driving it every day. Last year we had a foot of snow by now so it sat in the garage for 5 months.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
It may be the slowest, worst handling of the three (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger), but you nailed it on the head. It is NOT..... the same car everyone else is driving, and therefore.... a UFO to most :) UFO's are cool.

·
Banned
811 Posts
Dude, I hear you! In 1990 I turned 16 and my dad gave me his 1970 Chevy Nova. The car drove like a dream and I had one of the coolest cars in school. A few years later I gave it back to him and we still have it in his garage, and have both put alot of money into it, but it's no longer anyone's daily driver. Now I have the Challenger, and everyday of driving it takes me back to 16 years old. It's like driving a modern version of that Nova with all the technical goodies I always wanted in the Nova, and more.

·
Super Moderator
15,989 Posts
I think of my R/T as stepping into a time machine - brings back all the memories of what a dual exhaust V8 car should be like, the sound, power on demand when you want it...not the sea of non descript gutless boxes or bloated SUVs that everyone else runs around in nowadays.

Push the start button...engine roars to life...torque on startup gives that little twist to the body and see the oil pressure rise...its coming alive:)

There isn't anything else in a daily driver that brings that feeling on...

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
I know how you guys feel. When my daughter was born, many years ago, my wife talked me into selling my 1971 'Cuda because we needed a car with air conditioning and a big trunk (to haul baby stuff). It was the saddest day in my life to see my car being driven down my street for the last time (by the new owner).

I never thought that I could replace that car until I saw the 2006 Challenger concept car. I knew then that my 'Cuda was "reborn." In May 2008, I ordered a 2009 SRT from a dealer in Chicago. After waiting 5 long months, I found out that it went bankrupt- the first of many dealers to go out of business.

I was crushed until one of the forum members suggested that I call Bob Fredericks. Bob advised me that he had a Hemi-orange SRT on order for his dealership. He revised the order to reflect me as the buyer so that my name would be on the window invoice. One month later, my car arrived in his dealership. Bob e-mailed me photos of the delivery and then shipped the car to me the next day in his enclosed trailer.

Christmas came early in 2008, when my car arrived at my door on December 13 at 7:30 AM. What a rush!!! The smile has never left me. :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I think of my R/T as stepping into a time machine - brings back all the memories of what a dual exhaust V8 car should be like, the sound, power on demand when you want it...not the sea of non descript gutless boxes or bloated SUVs that everyone else runs around in nowadays.

Push the start button...engine roars to life...torque on startup gives that little twist to the body and see the oil pressure rise...its coming alive:)

There isn't anything else in a daily driver that brings that feeling on...

Exactly! You said it with the sea of gutless boxes. All those cars out there and barey any soul in them. That's what sets the Challenger apart..... and many people into performance cars, just don't get.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
I'm a little older than most here and was hooked on billiards as an early teens. Across from the pool hall was the Chevrolet dealer and I remember everyone going nuts over a fastback all white ray they had just put in the showroom. So a few of us went over and the thing was a beaut...wanna say 327/350 hp but anyway I will never forget my eyeballs popping when I saw the thing cost over 6,000.00 bucks. I believe the exact words were "who in their right mind". Wish I had bought everyone ever built.

·
Registered
526 Posts
chevelles

Not the same year {1971} but heres what I traded in to get my R/T
THE DEALER YES a mopar dealer gave me the price I was after..and took it as a trade in.had my chevy for 9 years it was a clone but all the SS options were on the car,the R/T was in the showroom in the colour and options I wanted[the price as well lol} it was a year ago 2009 went to the same dealer same month and talked about the challenger and slept on it for the winter..no major bites on the chevelle all summer so screw it.. the dealer and I came to a agreement... thee end
the chevelle 454 turbo 400 10 bolt non posi,flapper cowl hood.disc brakes power,hei ign just a nice turn the key and go car:thumbsup:eek:shawa built car with full gm canada docs:bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I had to get rid of my Chevelle when I was moving back in 1999. Here's so pics of it and the Camaro the Challenger is going to replace.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts