Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if you've noticed but the traction control on these cars is pretty good.

It's not too overly nanny, it allows you to tear it up in a straight line which is nice, but in snowy conditions it'll bring you back in line when necessary. Honestly, I turn it off in dry conditions when I want to play, but it's fantastic when you really need it. I've definitely had to deal with trac control that kicks in too early and I can tell you that this one isn't one of those.

Kudos to the engineers for holding back, or holding off the lawyers, in order to do trac control right. I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I agree the tractoin control is good but I don't understand why you have to do the key trick if you don't have a track pack to turn it off. I'm always concerned that my keyless start button will only snap in and out so many times.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
My 08 ESP off seems to really turn ALL the traction control off, I can do burnouts no prob for as long as I want...etc..it's weird hearing about the reviews of the CHallenger and them talking about even with ESP off having to "alternate between the brake and pedal to trick the system into allowing a burnout\fun mode" I don't have to do that...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I couldnt agree more! Unfortunately Ive had to drive my Challenger in the snow this winter here in the Chicago land area... and I must say, Im VERY impressed on how well this car does in the snow, even with the crappy RSA tires!
The Challenger must have a completely different system from the older cars... because Ive driven an older Chrysler 300C in the snow before and it was a total POS! The car couldnt get out of its own way, to the point that it was almost dangerous on how it seemed to completely cut power to the spinning wheel, which resulted in going nowhere most of the time!

The Challenger on the other hand, actually lets you accelerate pretty quick in the snow, even with the gas peddle mashed! I like how it seems to only limit the engine power even if you have your foot to the floor, kind of like a rev limiter... The whole system in the Challenger works very well... Ive purposely gone into my subdivision corners on snow covered roads too fast and have tried to hit the gas to fish tail the car, and it will only step out for a quick second, and then the traction control kicks in and the ABS grabs the front wheels independently and straightens the car right out.... VERY impressive IMO!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I find the traction control to be useless to me. since my car only sees dry pavement with no snow, tracton control is unnecessary. It agitates me to have a light lit on the dash when I turn it off.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I only keep the TC enabled on "rain days", when the pavement is wet. The weird thing I discovered, is that it actually goes quite a ways before it reins in a burn-out (on wet tires). If the car stays pointed straight-ahead and both rear tires happen to stay synchronized, it will allow quite a bit of wheelspin (despite the obvious speed disparity with the front wheels). You would never expect this given the behavior exhibited when it is enabled on dry roads/optimal traction. During that condition it will put the clamp down on pretty much any attempt at wheelspin or any attempt to get the back to break loose a little whilst rounding a corner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts